Help with programming

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Help with programming

Post by mrmasterful17 on Sun May 23, 2010 1:15 am
([msg=38928]see Help with programming[/msg])

Hello guys. I'm starting to get more interested in programming and could use some help. I want to learn web programming/design. Java, HTML, PHP. I have no idea the difference amongst them but I always see them being mentioned here on HTS when web programming is being discussed. Do I need to know all three or is one good enough and are there any other languages that I should be aware of? I currently don't have any money to afford books, and I'm still in school, so if you can point me in the direction of some free e books/websites that would be appreciated. I have some knowledge of C programming but I don't know enough to do anything useful with it besides the rudimentary questions they ask for exams. Sorry for making you read this long paragraph and thanks in advance for any help you have to offer me.
mrmasterful17
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Help with programming

Post by Skiddie Killer on Sun May 23, 2010 7:45 am
([msg=38930]see Re: Help with programming[/msg])

Start with HTML.Then learn javascript.After that,learn a high level programming lanuage(e.g. Python).In the meantime,learn as much as you can about computers,and how they work.I too am a beginner,but I would like to give you an advice-whatever you're learning about,dont just memorize it.Write code,make sure you understand it,and practice.
Good luck!
Skiddie Killer
New User
New User

Post by Goatboy on Sun May 23, 2010 9:41 am
([msg=38931]see Re: Help with programming[/msg])

Like Skiddie said, learn HTML first. It's not really a programming language, because it doesn't actually do anything, but it's the backbone of any web page. It is the content; the words, paragraphs, images, and so on. Without it, you will not be able to function as a web designer/programmer.

After you know HTML, you should learn CSS (Cascading Style Sheets). Again, it's not a programming language, but it is extremely useful. Basically, if HTML is the content, CSS determines how that content is displayed (color, size, layout). It used to be that you could do all the formatting from within HMTL (and you still can), but now it has become pretty much standard that you use CSS.

After you can build web pages and style them nicely, you'll probably want to do some actual programming. Javascript is what you want. It's basically a small (but fairly powerful) scripting language that executes in the viewer's browser (client-side). Now this doesn't mean you can alter their files or anything, but you can add a little interactivity (expand/collapse boxes) or dynamic content (clocks) to the pages you write.

Once you know HTML, CSS and Javascript, you have learned what I call the Triforce of web design. You have Content (HTML), Style (CSS), and Function (Javascript). You can do a ton with just these three, and in fact many web designers don't ever need to use more advanced languages because their clients don't require it, however...

If you are like me and not satisfied with learning just the minimum, you should move on to server-side languages. The difference between client-side and server-side is that the first will execute on the browser (meaning they can see the code if they wish) and the second will execute on the server (code is hidden, more powerful). There are more differences, but those are some big ones.

PHP is a personal favorite of mine. You can do so much with it that I won't even bother going into detail. Suffice it to say, it's something you'll want to learn. Of course you'll need to install the software to run it. This is where some people get stuck, because everything up to this point (HTML, CSS, Javascript) can be executed with just a browser. PHP needs a service that can interpret the code and act accordingly. It can run on Windows or Linux (and I assume Mac) so there's no reason not to learn it.

So, assuming you are still reading, you shall be rewarded with this link which will teach you just about all you need to know. You'll still have tons to learn afterwards, but this will get you way ahead in the game. Now go. You have more important things to do than sit and read the rantings of a madman.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Bren2010 on Sun May 23, 2010 9:55 am
([msg=38933]see Re: Help with programming[/msg])

mrmasterful17 wrote:Hello guys. I'm starting to get more interested in programming and could use some help. I want to learn web programming/design. Java, HTML, PHP. I have no idea the difference amongst them but I always see them being mentioned here on HTS when web programming is being discussed. Do I need to know all three or is one good enough and are there any other languages that I should be aware of? I currently don't have any money to afford books, and I'm still in school, so if you can point me in the direction of some free e books/websites that would be appreciated. I have some knowledge of C programming but I don't know enough to do anything useful with it besides the rudimentary questions they ask for exams. Sorry for making you read this long paragraph and thanks in advance for any help you have to offer me.

Hey! What languages you learn is up to the type of programming you want to do. So you can choose whether you want to be a web programmer (Google, HTS, etc.), and then there's desktop programming (Microsoft Word, Mozilla Firefox, etc.). First let me start off by saying that (at least in the languages I've come across) any language be used for either purpose, however, some are best for one, and one the other. Now on to the next categories, Interpreted and Compiled. Interpreted is simply written down, saved in a file, and run by a separate interpreter that most likely has to be pre-installed (the interpreter must be started EVERY time you want the program to run). A compiled language is different in the way that a compiler (separate piece of software) compiles the code, and then it can run on it's own without starting the compiler ever again.

Languages for a Web Programmer: If your going to be a web programmer, your going to deal with interpreted languages a lot of the time. HTML then CSS are definitely the first to learn. They make up the web page your staring at to read this. Next you should learn a back-end language like PHP or ASP (PHP recommended). That's what puts all the HTML in the right place back at the server.

Languages for a Desktop Programmer: Desktop programmers deal all most all of their time with compiled languages (even though there is exceptions). I'm not a desktop programmer so there's not much I can say about it, other than C and C++ are recommended languages.

The website W3Schools.com gives concentrated lessons in several computer languages. Actually, it's where I learned HTML & CSS!

I hope I've helped somehow! :D
Bren2010
Poster
Poster

Post by Skiddie Killer on Sun May 23, 2010 10:29 am
([msg=38935]see Re: Help with programming[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:Like Skiddie said

:evil:
Skiddie Killer
New User
New User

Post by mrmasterful17 on Sun May 23, 2010 12:05 pm
([msg=38937]see Re: Help with programming[/msg])

Thanks for your help guys, why the :evil: face 'skiddie killer' ? So you definitely helped me out and I'm gonna have to write some of that down. How long does it take to learn a language, I'm not looking for a shortcut or anything, just curious so I can manage time in between languages properly.

Oh and glad to be a part of the HTS forums. I've been an avid follower for weeks now. You guys are awsome 8-) .
mrmasterful17
New User
New User

Post by Bren2010 on Sun May 23, 2010 12:09 pm
([msg=38938]see Re: Help with programming[/msg])

mrmasterful17 wrote:Thanks for your help guys, why the :evil: face 'skiddie killer' ? So you definitely helped me out and I'm gonna have to write some of that down. How long does it take to learn a language, I'm not looking for a shortcut or anything, just curious so I can manage time in between languages properly.<br><br>Oh and glad to be a part of the HTS forums. I've been an avid follower for weeks now. You guys are awsome 8-) .

He's probably upset Goatboy said skiddie (script kiddie) instead of skidde (script kidde) killer. :p

The first few take a couple weeks, maybe months to learn and even a year to master. It mostly depends on your learning curve and experience. It took me a couple weeks to learn HTML, but once I learned a couple of languages, new ones came faster and faster. Hands-on is key. You can't stare a book and learn your first computer language.
Bren2010
Poster
Poster

Post by Skiddie Killer on Sun May 23, 2010 12:31 pm
([msg=38940]see Re: Help with programming[/msg])

Bren2010 wrote:He's probably upset Goatboy said skiddie (script kiddie) instead of skidde (script kidde) killer. :p.

No,it's because he said only Skiddie.
mrmasterful17 wrote:How long does it take to learn a language, I'm not looking for a shortcut or anything, just curious so I can manage time in between languages properly.

No one can tell you that.
Learn at your own speed,and I would suggest not to rush things.
Skiddie Killer
New User
New User

Post by mrmasterful17 on Sun May 23, 2010 12:39 pm
([msg=38941]see Re: Help with programming[/msg])

Bren2010 wrote:He's probably upset Goatboy said skiddie (script kiddie) instead of skidde (script kidde) killer. :p.

lol get over it :roll:
mrmasterful17
New User
New User

Post by sanddbox on Sun May 23, 2010 12:59 pm
([msg=38942]see Re: Help with programming[/msg])

Skiddie Killer wrote:

^That's what Bren was saying...Goatboy said skiddie instead of skiddie killer.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to General