Why do you program?

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

Why do you program?

Post by Arhk on Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:28 pm
([msg=34940]see Why do you program?[/msg])

Lets not even step into hacking but a simple (seemingly) question "Why do you program?"
~
We're a community some background story would be nice (don't be a lurker?).
My whole goal of learning programming was at first to of course to hack runescape (be easy on me I was 11 when I first decided on that) when I got a little older (13) I resolved it was because one day I would be a technology businessman type. This also got me into learning Japanese since it is certainly the epicenter of hi-tech stuff, learning Japanese also got me into anime which now I may be going to far off topic.... When I was 14 I resolved it was practically something I was born to do all of it seemed so natural my cousin a professional IT worker even commended me on my knowledge of computer architecture. Of course at the point of 14 I knew little about programming even with advanced knowledge of the ins and outs of the different programming languages themselves (I'd complain to my friends why program in a language abstracted from the environment by a VM...).
14 I resolved I program because I want to know what makes computers work so that when I make a whole knew kind of computer I know how to make it even better than it's predecessors. 15 I still have that same resolve and C/C++ were boring me because I felt I wasn't learning anything important. Even with C/C++ I was being far to abstracted from the nitty gritty that I needed to learn about, so I went straight to simple ASM.C/C++ Header files really made me feel worthless like I had to use something someone else already "pre-programmed" for me and I'm the lazy dude who doesn't even inquire how it really works, and doesn't even have the skill to. "How do I learn more about computer architecture when I can't even grasp concepts that aren't even machine related?" But I learned that computers don't really know much algebra it's all 1's and 0's when it gets to them, that's what's important besides... I past algebra fine even while day dreaming nearly all the time.
steps:

11 I went into scripting flash games (that got me giddy enough), I also started private servers (runescape of course, from this point on I was always doing some type of PS) doing PS taught me alot (emphasis) alot about advanced tech savvy, I had to do things like set enviromental variables, port forward, and light SQL database management to run my first PS.
Getting involved with "illegal" stuff like PS lead me to the underground of Warez some months after my computer caught a virus with me trying to get a nice registry cleaner (yes I'm still 11). So I looked up Operating System and saw something called Linux I soon downloaded Unetbootin and supposedly installed this really koohl OS with an awesome GUI feature called "Beryl."
Some how I ended up downloading and installing a kernel version of Ubuntu (sad days =l) nothing but a dull old full screen terminal it always spat out these immense lines of information on start (very intimidating I was really missing my old virused computer windows) but I met many adversities with PS' also ( I always goolged like hell to find solutions on things) so I trudge through with the 'help' command and the most useful command I've learned for any terminal yet was learned at this moment "sudo apt-get install."

12 This was the dark ages of mindless Habbo playing I met really good friends their that I've lost (this was the dark age for Habbo also, hackers reigned and stole furni and account info frequently). I roamed Habbo PS' now (being scared to death of rumored moparscape viruses refer back to living in Ubuntu kernel mode viruses are scary business indeed almost as scary as *nix terminals) this taught me alot about basic code stealing since alot of the times you had to leech HTML from a site that had a working client. ANd basic web design came along with Habbo PS. At some point I also go into using the WPE packet editor (I forget why I started).

13 Trrra Tra Tra Trollin' on 'em. This was the age of me making fun of people faking to be programmers, at this point I had no actual coding experience but read enough articles and theory to convince anyone I did know how to. I did so much debugging with PS' at this point any problem you had with any kind of server that required some tech savvy and basic html & SQL database knowledge I could solve. So I roamed PS forums helping people and etc. This was when I read my first programming guide it was a pdf I got (my first small with programming encounter was actually some Python video tutorials at 12) C++ Programming for Dummies, I could never read it through it was a bit confusing so nothing much happened (the way they worded things I think was it "huh what a variable is a container wha?" " (14) huh what a variable is a container? Oh wait he means like a variable like in algebra..." (it might have been a waste considering I already had passed algebra when I was 12 I was enrolled early on into school).

14 The age of boredom giving up PS' I was on the search for the perfect game. Nothing but pure gaming Call of Duty Runes of Magic (no RS it's a custom among gamers to give up point and click crappy graphics things at the age of 12) S4 League. But there was then a sudden Rebirth in learning and I acquired access to the MASM forums (being horribly immature an annoying) I harassed the community for guides and such. I read some crappy half assed (now that I think about it I could swear those guys in MASM pulled one over on me) few chapter in size stuff on ASM that pretty much told you instructions and described their size then had a graphic of basic architecture of a computer (thus pretty much I learned nothing about actual ASM coding). This was the age of my mom dragging me to shop with her, I sat miserably most of the time but when I finally got up to look at the book section I found a gold mine of ancient books. They were old but they were still about programming at the least, I had gathered to much and the Java and ASP (still to this day don't know what an ASP is other than it being some web design language implemented by MS?) books had to be put aside.
Knowing maybe to much for my own good I resented VB for it being so ridiculously GUI (and windows) based (from what little I've learned, VB is like first having to learn what all the little mundane buttons on PhotoShop do (in the form of mundane click and drop boxes) and then having limited control over the GUI, and some weird Pseudo code is the result) it simply confused me for one secondly it used VLC (I knew this about the language beforehand) which having this kind of abstraction I saw it as useless but I was giving up on myself and I figured I was to dumb to understand anything else. But along with a VB book I picked up my real inspiration "Learning to Program in C ~ Thomas Plum" (infront of me right now). And I also picked up some random "Introduction to Data processing" book it told a little about real computing history but the author was obviously one of those old timey VB buffs trying to convert you around every corner (constant showing VB examples of useless "business applications") I wasn't buying it, I was curious why he didn't think he should know how these things work in order to be qualified to explain any type of programming at all. This caused a rebirth in ASM learning I picked up Randel Hyde's book and tried my best (the most I've learned from it is how to accurately evaluate any base number system by its radix).

15 I picked up Assembly Language Step-by-Step: Programming with Linux I realized I knew a hell alot about ASM from all the MASM forum lurking end even those half assed books on ASM and even Randel helped.
I could have skipped 4 chapters basically but I am a cautious one so I started reading at Chapter 2. As far as I can tell I've been moving at a horribly lethargic pace, my thing isn't I want to learn programming as fast as possible it's just horrible when I put so much in and get back so little. The reason why I venture into hacking at this point is still to learn in depth about how computers handle information.

So far I can say I know enough about C/C++ that I could program any general purpose type application. ASM not so much but I understand alot of concept (much of which I've already known since I was 13-14). Back and forth movement of information through addressing a particular memory. The stack is where new info is pushed into flow, 32bit registers can only address some 4billion memory spaces (3 gigabytes). Stuff I've known for a while... Nothing new yet just learning alot more about architecture from this book so far but it's good for the "absolute beginner" architecture is important (something I've been studying strong for 2 years now).
~
Sorry if this was boring but I figured my story might give others some more confidence, tell yours if it's better.
Last edited by Arhk on Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Binary is my acid for the next 5 or so years....
Arhk
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Why do you program?

Post by sanddbox on Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:31 pm
([msg=34942]see Re: Why do you program?[/msg])

Guys, to prevent from getting seizures, firebug his post and remove the colors...

Anyways, to the OP -

What the hell are you doing? Not only is it in colors that almost made me blind, but there's no spacing!

I had to spend 5 minutes in firebug just changing your post so it didn't suck.

Also: Honestly, I doubt you were some genius bored with C so you went straight to ASM...which is far more boring then C will ever be.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by Arhk on Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:37 pm
([msg=34943]see Re: Why do you program?[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:Guys, to prevent from getting seizures, firebug his post and remove the colors...

Anyways, to the OP -

What the hell are you doing? Not only is it in colors that almost made me blind, but there's no spacing!

Also: Honestly, I doubt you were some genius bored with C so you went straight to ASM...which is far more boring then C will ever be.

considered the colors to be nice additives.... ~ I guess some computer screen mights be more vivid than mine.
~
After I leaned the basics of C/C++ I got bored and realized that all I might end up on my journey doing is manipulating the aspects of the language and learning library files. I'm a perfectionist for me ASM is much more exciting how is me having slightly "different" views (or way of thought) a bad thing?
Last edited by Arhk on Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Arhk
New User
New User

Post by sanddbox on Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:38 pm
([msg=34944]see Re: Why do you program?[/msg])

Arhk wrote:
sanddbox wrote:Guys, to prevent from getting seizures, firebug his post and remove the colors...

Anyways, to the OP -

considered the colors to be nice additives.... ~ I guess some compute screen mights be more vivid than mine.

What you just did should be illegal.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by apples on Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:44 pm
([msg=34945]see Re: Why do you program?[/msg])

yo, kid. cut out the ego shit, you're not a special snowflake. i doubt you're as proficient in C or anything else as you say you are.
apples
New User
New User

Post by Arhk on Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:47 pm
([msg=34946]see Re: Why do you program?[/msg])

Tone it down... I thought it would be fun to exchange stories I have low self esteem jerk...
~
:roll: but it's good that the HTS forums is helping more hoodlums keep off the streets.
Last edited by Arhk on Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arhk
New User
New User

Post by sanddbox on Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:49 pm
([msg=34947]see Re: Why do you program?[/msg])

In loving memory of the post, I present: The eight deadly sin. (Not using spacing and using those colors)

Click me!

(The image is so large it will take up an entire page on the forums, so I'm not using img tags.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by Arhk on Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:50 pm
([msg=34948]see Re: Why do you program?[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:In loving memory of the post, I present: The eight deadly sin. (Not using spacing and using those colors)

Click me!

(The image is so large it will take up an entire page on the forums, so I'm not using img tags.

I'm on a roll I should create a ninth....
~
This isn't to gloat or anything? I figured my story was simple and interesting but by the snow flake comment some are finding this intimidating. Don't ? My cousin was honestly impressed ( just a true part of the story to include content he's helped alot knowing I wasn't the only really into computers) he said so but to this day I still find myself to be less than average (probably low self esteem or whatever) that's why I input the part about me working at a seemingly lethargic pace (don't read it if you don't wanna read all of it ? In my head I'm the equivalent of a retarded child so I constantly insult myself when I can't understand something). C/C++ bored me just not my thing I want to get into machine engineering not so much software engineering to be straight forward, that's simply my aspiration.

It's honestly a shock to me that people are using the words genius and having a conversation with me at the sametime it makes me curious why would anyone even try referring to me and using that word in the same statement even if to put the word not infront of it (I'm very condescending even when talking to myself alot). I just thought my story was interesting and I hoped that others would share interesting stories of how they started
I'm being 100% honest if your finding the statements about me knowing machine architecture an etc. from 12 this is true not meant to gloat (because I honestly think I'm slow at coding even for my age). I didn't know people would take it this way if you want I'll claim to be 23 and say that I finally past algebra in 10th grade for the sake of peace.
Arhk
New User
New User

Post by apples on Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:21 pm
([msg=34949]see Re: Why do you program?[/msg])

there are several things you say which display general ignorance in the topics you are speaking about. you're not a genius, nor am i, or anyone else on this board
apples
New User
New User

Post by Arhk on Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:32 pm
([msg=34951]see Re: Why do you program?[/msg])

apples wrote:there are several things you say which display general ignorance in the topics you are speaking about. you're not a genius, nor am i, or anyone else on this board

Pause -
Why are you here....?
Tell a story or get out, general ignorance...? Life is ignorance, we exist in a bubble secluded from the rest of reality of even dimensions in our own neighboring space. Nothing is life is fact nor even opinion, simply speculation sometimes concurrent or non concurrent. The blue of the sky can never be proven, we can't confirm the color we see as blue is the same as what another person sees as blue. Even though we can all call the sky blue others are still allowed to see it in a different light.
~
Genius and other terms are subjective maybe one day some majority will agree on the speculation that you, I or anyone here is genius....
Arhk
New User
New User

Next

Return to Programming