Newbie challenge

Got an idea on how things should be done? A problem with something on the site? Voice your opinion!

Should we implement a basic 1 style newbie mission in order to register?

YES - I support this issue.
68%
NO - Do not limit registrations
32%

Total votes : 74

Newbie challenge

Post by comperr on Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:46 pm
([msg=16052]see Newbie challenge[/msg])

It appears that a large number of people want a newbie challenge from the HTS wish list post.
I am starting this poll just about this one issue.
Even if this poll is 10000-0 YES it doesn't mean we will implement it.
There are a lot more annoying emails and bug reports this way "I couldn't find the password to register - what is it...".
On the other hand the forums stay clean from "I used my password for basic 1 but it didn't work....." type posts.

This poll is to see your opinion. Please try to follow up with a reply explaining your reasoning. Reasoning matters more than votes here.

Update: actually create the poll :\
Last edited by comperr on Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: add poll
comperr
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Newbie challenge

Post by The_Computer_Wizard on Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:53 pm
([msg=16053]see Re: Newbie challenge[/msg])

i think its a good idea, but it needs to be done carefully

I think you shouldnt be allowed to submit bug reports until you finish the newbie test, this will keep the bug report section free for the mods, but then you say "but if it does break no one will know"
my suggestion for this would be have a mod check it once to a few times a day to make sure its still working (beats the hell outa looking through 10,000 false bug reports i would think)
The_Computer_Wizard
Poster
Poster

Post by mutants_r_us_guild on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:39 pm
([msg=16054]see Re: Newbie challenge[/msg])

I like this idea, and while a few bug reports would come in, I don't think the number would be all that high really. I look through the bug reports quite often.. and only every now and then see something about basic missions or the like. Also, I wholeheartedly agree to a test for bug reports. In fact, if the idea wasn't kinda mean, I would say just make registration on the entire site require a test, instead of just forums. But, alas; HTS is about learning, even if that means enduring the torrential posts of "c4n U h3lp me t0 g3t p4ss?".

P.S. I noticed the new avatar, comperr. N-I-C-E :D
mutants_r_us_guild
Poster
Poster

Post by godofcereal on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:41 pm
([msg=16055]see Re: Newbie challenge[/msg])

I agree that the noob filter should be brought in.
They shouldnt be able to register for the forums, that would stop all the posts in the basic section. And they dont need to ask since every question on those missions have been asked loads of times, let them read it.
The bug report is a good idea but we would need someone to go through them every now and again to make sure nothing broke on us.
A better idea is to stop communication all together. The only way they can talk to us is in the irc. If you stop communication you will stop alot of spam.
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Post by The_Computer_Wizard on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:49 pm
([msg=16056]see Re: Newbie challenge[/msg])

godofcereal i hope you're being sarcastic

while i think we should try and limit the amount of stupid posts and things, to cut off communication entirely would pretty much kill what HTS is about, which is learning

I dont think my idea was perfect, just something for the mods to consider
it really kinda depends on how hard the test is i think
The_Computer_Wizard
Poster
Poster

Post by Monica on Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:45 am
([msg=16081]see Re: Newbie challenge[/msg])

^ What they all said is true. Making a "newbie" challenge would help decrease the amount of spam, unexpected PM's, forum posts, Bug Reports, etc. I admit that it may be annoying to many users. In my opinion, it would also be easier for Staff to work around the site & forum. Dealing with "newbies" does take patience AND a lot of time! However, "newbies" deserve a chance to learn. HTS is for all.
hi am new so plz dont troll me or i report 2 the HTS mods ty
Monica
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JTX on Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:54 am
([msg=16092]see Re: Newbie challenge[/msg])

I agree with you all. Also i agree with mutants_r_us_guild . It's a good idea to make registration on the entire site require a test instead of just forums. I'm just a few weeks here but i saw this questions for Basic1... every day.

Its really nice to know that HTS is doing strong efforts to teach us a lot. But every one registering here should proof he is making too eforts to acquire a good knowledge. And this could be proved by a "Newbie challenge"!
JTX
New User
New User

Post by computerdude523 on Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:15 am
([msg=16093]see Re: Newbie challenge[/msg])

A Agree With JTX. We Really Should Filter "0ut Th3 N00Bs".

This Would Make Life So Much Easier Here Without Noobs Saying: "What's The Password For Basic 1?" I Mean, COME ON!
Last edited by computerdude523 on Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Me: "Just Because You SAY You're A Hacker, Doesn't Really Mean You Are One."
A Noob: "Really?"
Me: "NO, Smart One. Now If You Are One, Prove It."
A Noob: ...
Me: "That's What I Thought."

< computerdude523 >
computerdude523
New User
New User

Post by godofcereal on Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:27 am
([msg=16097]see Re: Newbie challenge[/msg])

The_Computer_Wizard wrote:godofcereal i hope you're being sarcastic

while i think we should try and limit the amount of stupid posts and things, to cut off communication entirely would pretty much kill what HTS is about, which is learning

Well to be fair alot of questions they want to ask have been and most answered by us. And the what language should I learn question has a full answer to it. Once they learn these and pass the test they can talk all they want. Do they really need to ask more questions about the basics? No they dont.
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Post by mutants_r_us_guild on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:14 am
([msg=16103]see Re: Newbie challenge[/msg])

We don't need to limit them in EVERY aspect, just a few. Let's not go all crazy here and start a n00b holocaust. Newbies are people too. Like Monica said, they need a chance. So we need restrictive yet supportive guidelines. That's the only way anything like this can ever be implemented.
mutants_r_us_guild
Poster
Poster

Next

Return to Comments & Suggestions