Linux

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

Linux

Post by BuTTHeaD on Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:13 pm
([msg=9148]see Linux[/msg])

Hey all, I'm sick and tired of vista and from what Ive seen and read about, it really isn't good for scripting like Linux.
So, i think I'm going to go to Linux software. Now, my question is, which is best? You know, for hacking, programming, scripting, etc.

If i could get a little help that would be great. :lol: :lol:

Thanks guys.
BuTTHeaD
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Linux

Post by mutants_r_us_guild on Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:27 pm
([msg=9149]see Re: Linux[/msg])

If your new to Linux, I'd suggest Ubuntu or Slax as your first Linux OS... once you get more into Linux and hacking... Try switching to Backtrack. :) Hope that helps.

P.S. Before you go all gung-ho and format your hard drive, or even go through the trouble of a dual-boot.. you might want to try the live cd of a few choice distros. Here's a good site where you can download Live CD ISOs. Just burn them and enjoy. :P

http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php
mutants_r_us_guild
Poster
Poster

Post by liuyuan on Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:55 pm
([msg=9150]see Re: Linux[/msg])

STICK TO WINDOWS YOU NOOB.

I'm serious. Windows is much, much better than linux if you have no clue on what you're doing.

I used to be a big coder, and coded a few projects include HackThisSite itself (although HTS is quite fail.). But I've done it all on windows. Some of the effect can be achieved by using cygwin. My advice is learn it first.

However, if you wish to remain an idiot, and not listen to my advice, here are two sites I've used to help me decide.
http://polishlinux.org/choose/quiz/
http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

HOWEVER, if at any point of the the quiz you start going "WTF, this isn't what I signed up for." then stick to windows. Download cygwin *it's free* and learn to get use to the normal stuff before going all linux nuts.

My opinion. Vista is AWESOME (currently using) if you meet the requirements (3g ram, duo core). Just like Mac is awesome, it's just bashed because no one could afford it.

Linux is over hyped by skiddies. It is indeed incredible, but the if you cannot find a reason to use it beside that your "H4x0r friend" says it's good. You shouldn't really use it. If you don't really know how it will help you code, and so on, don't use it. KISS principal. Keep It Simple.
ImageImageImage
liuyuan
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by BuTTHeaD on Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:20 am
([msg=9152]see Re: Linux[/msg])

Hahaha, yeah, i am a noob.
But, that's a good idea, i should learn all of this stuff before i get deep.
Well, if i sohlud stick with Windows for now, which shouldd i use?
Vista or XP?
i have both.
BuTTHeaD
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by liuyuan on Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:19 pm
([msg=9183]see Re: Linux[/msg])

I'm glad you've choose to listen to my advice. :)

Well, to choose between Vista and XP, it's simple. Vista is way, way better on basic performance, and it's enhanced to the tiniest details. However, the huge trade off is hardware requirement. The other thing is Vista could be a bit annoying, when you decided to run age-old applications. However some of the hacking applications are only to be run on old machines. Some other programs are made specifically for Vista though. IE7 for example, it runs at least 2910481920 times faster, that's just a bad example.

XP, everyone is more familiar with, a huge support group, because nearly everyone uses it. I'd recommend to stick with it if you have it installed currently. I'm only using Vista because I have no other choice. XP will, however, die one day, I wouldn't mind to stick to the trend.

It's your choice. Just make sure you have AWESOME hardware first, before you try Vista.
ImageImageImage
liuyuan
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by fashizzlepop on Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:10 pm
([msg=9189]see Re: Linux[/msg])

Personally I use XP right now and find Vista VERY annoying. I find/found that a lot of my hacking tools run a little glitchy with Vista so until it gets better Im sticking with XP.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by BuTTHeaD on Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:21 am
([msg=9253]see Re: Linux[/msg])

Yea, no problem dude, you know more than i do. :lol:
But yea, i have XP, but now i have vista installed.
But yea, many programs that i've tried to download are only for xp and under.
It's really pissed me off.
But my hardware is fine, i have 2 gigs of ddr2 667mghz ram. 250gig sata 3g hardrive, petium dual-core 1.8 ghz, 600W sli-active pfc power supply, 8600 video card, and a motherboard with 1333mghz frontside bus.
And, im going to upgrade to a faster motherboard, memory, and sli graphics soon.
So, my hardware is fine for vista.
But i find XP easier to use because i've been using it for years, since it came out.
And i dont have to get annoyed by all the confirmation windows that vista has everytime you try to launch something.
I've only been using vista for a week.lol.
But i might just change back to XP.
I haven't made a decision yet.

But dude, i AM going by your advice.
Thanks for it.
Rock on dude.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
BuTTHeaD
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by mutants_r_us_guild on Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:37 am
([msg=9254]see Re: Linux[/msg])

lol.. faith is a dude! lol.. just kidding, faith. I just thought that was pretty funny... most people on here are dumbfounded by the idea of a girl hacker.. (some are dumbfounded by the idea of a girl in general lol).. so to see you get called a dude is mildly humorous. :P
mutants_r_us_guild
Poster
Poster

Post by BuTTHeaD on Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:25 am
([msg=9255]see Re: Linux[/msg])

huh?
wait, i don't get it?
hahahaha, im not a girl, i'm a dude, i don't get this.
BuTTHeaD
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by atrius on Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:02 am
([msg=9258]see Re: Linux[/msg])

liuyuan wrote:STICK TO WINDOWS YOU NOOB.

I'm serious. Windows is much, much better than linux if you have no clue on what you're doing.

Linux is over hyped by skiddies. It is indeed incredible, but the if you cannot find a reason to use it beside that your "H4x0r friend" says it's good. You shouldn't really use it. If you don't really know how it will help you code, and so on, don't use it. KISS principal. Keep It Simple.

There is a steeper learning curve with Linux, tis true. However, along with that extra learning comes a whole lot more power then you'll ever have in windows - power over all aspects of every peice of software, if you choose, including the kernel.

Stating that somebody is a "noob" for sticking to windows is ... amusing, to say the least, especially from a moderator in a "hacking" community. I will agree that, at least for people who dont *want* to learn, windows is best. Face it, the entire world uses it. That does not make it *the* best - that would be the individuals preference.

The orginal question was related to "hacking, programming, scripting, etc" - and Linux suits this far easier then Windows does. Support for numerous scripting and coding languages, for starters - you cant say that Windows makes it easy to install developers tools (compilers, IDE's, etc) for Ruby, Python, Perl, Java, C++ and C during installation. All that has to be found and added from several different developers. Its messy to get support for lots of languages. (BTW, @ BuTTHeaD : If you want scripting languages, check Perl and Python (any operating system). They're both powerfull, flexible, and very nice languages).

@liuyuan -
IE7 for example, it runs at least 2910481920 times faster, that's just a bad example.
. Where'd you get that information? What're you comparing IE7 too? Anybody who runs IE7 is not exactly smart - sure, its a hellava lot safer then IE5, but its still not great. Use Firefox.

It is foolish to say that you
remain an idiot
by running Linux. Like it or not like it, there are more tools for hacking (check http://www.sectools.org to find lots of examples). Backtrack is an *awesome* example of this: an entire Linux distribution *dedicated* to Pentesting and hacking. Knowing at least the basics of Linux (basic commands, directory structure, compilation / installation of software, etc) is not a bad thing at all. Sticking with Windows forever probably is, given the variety of operating systems running worldwide. Sure, dont format your windows drive and rush into Linux, but at least getting a LiveCD and playing around for a while is a smart move.

Anyway. My 2 cents : stick to XP if you dont know what your doing with Linux, but get a liveCD (for Ubuntu, if you like Windows-like operating systems), or even Backtrack. Especially Backtrack.
However, @BuTTHeaD : Go and research what Linux is for a while. By your question (not sure if english is your native language), "linux software" isnt normally the terminology used - most people say "linux distibution", and yes, there is a difference in those terms. So, i am presuming that you dont know much at all about linux. So, firstly, go and find out what it is, and play on a LiveCD for a while. About a 600-700 meg download, then run it on your computer without stuffing anything up - it doesnt write to the harddrive at all, so you can freely play.
atrius
New User
New User

Next

Return to Operating Systems