Web Servers

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Web Servers

Post by Scar0ptics on Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:02 pm
([msg=92462]see Web Servers[/msg])

I was just wondering if anyone is hosting a website that is using an open source CMS and done any kind of custom modifications. I am currently working on the core files of my site's CMS and was wondering if anyone has done anything similar to this on here?

My sites running on a Linux based server, but is anyone using a Windows based one? I know the majority of web servers are being run on Linux, so that's why the majority of people are looking for vulnerabilities (zero-day attacks) within the Linux web server or even the CMS being used.

What are you using for a reverse proxy?
Scar0ptics
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Web Servers

Post by mShred on Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:46 pm
([msg=92464]see Re: Web Servers[/msg])

I have ran a few servers in my day. My personal site (https://libroot.com/) currently runs on a linux DigitalOcean droplet. It's primarily just phpBB with a few small modifications, although I am currently in the process of overhauling it all over to laravel.
That said, I've dicked around with quite a few frameworks, although never WordPress or anything that mainstream. What sort of questions do you have, exactly?
mShred
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by Scar0ptics on Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:02 pm
([msg=92465]see Re: Web Servers[/msg])

Have you edited any of the core files of the CMS?
Scar0ptics
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:23 pm
([msg=92466]see Re: Web Servers[/msg])

Yes, in regards to phpBB I have. Although phpBB users like to user extensions to extend the framework, what I wanted essentially required me to edit the actual forum framework. That fact that it was so limiting in this regard is the reason that I am overhauling to laravel. phpBB is solely a forum package, whereas laravel is very scalable framework. In turning to laravel, I'll need to build the forum (and other applications) myself, but I won't be limited in the ways that I'd be if I was using just a CMS.

What sort of thing are you trying to do?
mShred
Addict
Addict

Post by Scar0ptics on Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:31 pm
([msg=92467]see Re: Web Servers[/msg])

I'm just modifying the core files of my CMS right now, but later on I want to change the looks of my forum board lol. I just need to modify the forum Boards CSS file though.

Check it out and you'll see why: https://tech-phreaks.net/?q=forum
Scar0ptics
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:10 pm
([msg=92468]see Re: Web Servers[/msg])

Nice. What are you using for all of that? Most CMS's allow for themes. That would make it a million times easier for you. Rather than having to edit core files and whatnot, you'll probably be able to just create a theme and load it in. Generally, if you can avoid editing core files, then I would refrain from it. HTS forums are a perfect example. During the rebuild in 2008, the forums (using phpBB) were edited to work with the main portion of the site. This has made it very difficult to update the forums as updates will essentially remove the changes that were made. If you can achieve your goals through extensions within the CMS, then you'll be a lot better off in the long run. This is essentially the reason I'm overhauling my own site. I'd rather code things to my own standard than try to force some other framework/CMS/whatever to work with my needs.
mShred
Addict
Addict

Post by Scar0ptics on Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:47 pm
([msg=92470]see Re: Web Servers[/msg])

I will not be doing much to the core files for that reason, thanks for sharing that information with me. It's nice to have something that's more custom rather than a standard downloadable CMS though. I have already modified the PHP memory limit ( to a ridiculous amount), but that is it for now. I do not have that many options within the CMS for the forum board. I have to do a lot of things manually to the CSS and PHP files and re-upload them to the web server. Although, I did just implement a section regarding current exploits and vulnerabilities. :geek: I already have the forum board up and running, so now I just have to edit the CSS file to my liking and that should be good.
Scar0ptics
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:06 pm
([msg=92471]see Re: Web Servers[/msg])

Nice nice. Sounds like you're doin pretty well on your own then. I'd suggest playin around with multiple frameworks or CMS's and getting a feel for different types of things. Setting up your own bare websites can also help you learn to better understand what's all going on behind the scenes.

If you have any questions or anything that you want to share or anything, this is the right place. Web dev is my gig too, so I'm always down to help out or check things out.
mShred
Addict
Addict

Post by Scar0ptics on Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:36 am
([msg=92473]see Re: Web Servers[/msg])

It would be nice to get some help on this, but I am not sure how you would want to do it. I can send the the forum board files via a compressed folder?

Also, what is the best alternative to Adobe Dreamweaver? I know of Aptana, and Microsoft Expression.
Scar0ptics
New User
New User

Post by Jbraithwaite on Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:46 am
([msg=92477]see Re: Web Servers[/msg])

Scar0ptics wrote:Also, what is the best alternative to Adobe Dreamweaver? I know of Aptana, and Microsoft Expression.

Notepad++ then preview in browser. DreamBeaver inserts so much duff code that it's unrecognisable as a site afterwards when viewing source.
In training....
Jbraithwaite
Poster
Poster

Next

Return to General