PicoCTF

General technological topics without their own forum go here

PicoCTF

Post by -Ninjex- on Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:52 am
([msg=84732]see PicoCTF[/msg])

https://picoctf.com

This CTF is fun for beginners, and the difficulty seems to be scaling.
The competition lasts until the seventh.
If anyone is interested in joining my team "Team Jacob" let me know.
There are only 5 people per team I believe.
Right now, It's me and cyberdrain aka rained.
We have completed 18 challenges so far
image
For those that know
K: 0x2CD8D4F9
User avatar
-Ninjex-
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1691
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: PicoCTF

Post by LiquidLemon on Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:25 pm
([msg=84733]see Re: PicoCTF[/msg])

This looks fun. But beginner doesn't mean "knows nothing about this stuff", right?
User avatar
LiquidLemon
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:26 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: PicoCTF

Post by -Ninjex- on Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:54 pm
([msg=84734]see Re: PicoCTF[/msg])

LiquidLemon wrote:This looks fun. But beginner doesn't mean "knows nothing about this stuff", right?


Right, you are going to want to have a bit of knowledge coming in. It's just extremely easy compared to some other CTF's you might have looked at. However, the difficulty is raising in this CTF. I laughed and said this CTF was dumb as fuck after the first few challenges. However, it's increasing in difficulty, and has now become something fun.

So yeah, tl;dr
You want some knowledge, but you don't need to be a master at this stuff (at least not until you complete a lot of challenges, like 20-25)
image
For those that know
K: 0x2CD8D4F9
User avatar
-Ninjex-
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1691
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: PicoCTF

Post by tripbeam on Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:54 pm
([msg=84735]see Re: PicoCTF[/msg])

Was just about to join until i saw it was 4 days ago
tripbeam
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:52 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: PicoCTF

Post by LiquidLemon on Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:57 pm
([msg=84736]see Re: PicoCTF[/msg])

tripbeam wrote:Was just about to join until i saw it was 4 days ago

You can still join it. It's going to be on for another few days.
User avatar
LiquidLemon
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:26 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: PicoCTF

Post by cyberdrain on Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:44 pm
([msg=84739]see Re: PicoCTF[/msg])

Everyone that wants to join definitely should. Even the challenges that are done already can be done again and you'll learn a lot doing it. Right now I'd say the difficulty is a lot less than ECTF, though that can change in the harder challenges. An example, in the exploit/binary/application category there's explanations of simple buffer overflows (including a visual of the buffer itself and what you're actually doing) all the way through exploiting an application using the barely new return-orientated-programming technique. Then there's crypto from decoding hex all the way past RSA encryption, web applications of different skill levels and exploiting programming code written in C, Python and Java. It's fun, anyone that wants is welcome to join :D
Free your mind / Think clearly
User avatar
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2160
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:58 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: PicoCTF

Post by Mr-Mouse on Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:53 pm
([msg=84742]see Re: PicoCTF[/msg])

cyberdrain wrote:Everyone that wants to join definitely should. Even the challenges that are done already can be done again and you'll learn a lot doing it. Right now I'd say the difficulty is a lot less than ECTF, though that can change in the harder challenges. An example, in the exploit/binary/application category there's explanations of simple buffer overflows (including a visual of the buffer itself and what you're actually doing) all the way through exploiting an application using the barely new return-orientated-programming technique. Then there's crypto from decoding hex all the way past RSA encryption, web applications of different skill levels and exploiting programming code written in C, Python and Java. It's fun, anyone that wants is welcome to join :D


I have never done anything like this before and would feel bad to jump in to it with you two already so far ahead. Especially since it is an award based system and you guys deserve the credit for how far you have gotten.
Ah, when to the heart of man
Was it ever less than a treason
To go with the drift of things,
To yield with a grace to reason,
And bow and accept the end
Of a love or a season?

-Robert Frost
User avatar
Mr-Mouse
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: PicoCTF

Post by tripbeam on Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:46 am
([msg=84743]see Re: PicoCTF[/msg])

I'll join, just need passphrase for joinning team jacob...
tripbeam
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:52 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: PicoCTF

Post by LiquidLemon on Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:42 am
([msg=84747]see Re: PicoCTF[/msg])

Mr-Mouse wrote:I have never done anything like this before and would feel bad to jump in to it with you two already so far ahead. Especially since it is an award based system and you guys deserve the credit for how far you have gotten.

I've thought the same. But you can create your own team and go alone. That's what I did. And yeah, it starts with the level of complexity of basic 1. So first few are really easy.
User avatar
LiquidLemon
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:26 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: PicoCTF

Post by -Ninjex- on Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:44 am
([msg=84751]see Re: PicoCTF[/msg])

So, with the team limitations, it would be nice to grasp an idea of user's strong suites.
I've had a few people ask to join so far, and I would like candidates in fields that cyberdrain and I are less suited in.
The fields we have roughly or greatly covered are: Web Exploitation, Binary Exploitation, and Forensics
With that being said, I am hoping to find users good at Reverse Engineering, Cryptography, and possibly Forensics (as we aren't the best at this)
So, again, if you are interested, send some details this way, thanks.

If anyone decides to take this up on their own, like LiquidLemon, feel free to message and discuss over on IRC about it, I would be glad to help you out.

Channel: #picoctf
image
For those that know
K: 0x2CD8D4F9
User avatar
-Ninjex-
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1691
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Next

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests