Community project thingy

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Community project thingy

Post by DrRoach on Sun May 19, 2013 4:45 pm
([msg=75691]see Community project thingy[/msg])

Hey everyone I have started making a website based off an idea from Ninjex but was thinking that maybe some other people would want to get involved because sometimes doing things is the best way to learn and also we will be helping eachother. The idea is to make a social networking site where people can make, upload and share videos. If anyone is actually interested in getting involved then send me a PM or post of my profile or even reply on here. If anyone has little experience of coding and so is shying away don't as I'll be more than happy to help you out and I'm sure other people on here will be too.
Thanks in advance
DrRoach
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Community project thingy

Post by -Ninjex- on Sun May 19, 2013 5:02 pm
([msg=75692]see Re: Community project thingy[/msg])

Well, do you have the server set up and everything?
Where do you plan to host this?
If so, you should only allow access with pub keys.

I will help out where I can, and try to comment the hell out of my code, since I have an issue doing so.
For those that know
K: 0x2CD8D4F9
-Ninjex-

Post by 3vilp4wn on Sun May 19, 2013 5:11 pm
([msg=75693]see Re: Community project thingy[/msg])

I'd be glad to help.
I can pitch in with PHP, python, HTML, and CSS.
Do you have hosting yet?
Do not mistake understanding for realization, and do not mistake realization for liberation
Evil Ninja Hackers
???
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

1A4EAMboaXpgvUSmtRbVRqbfJrbyuGhyoo
3vilp4wn
Poster
Poster

Post by DrRoach on Sun May 19, 2013 6:16 pm
([msg=75694]see Re: Community project thingy[/msg])

Yes I already have web hosting as I have a website but I think I'm going to register a new domain to host it on, the web hoster is go daddy if your interested. Going to make a to do list tomorrow with pages ect. on so if you have any ideas that you want included let me know
DrRoach
Poster
Poster

Post by hackingesfun on Sun May 19, 2013 10:06 pm
([msg=75696]see Re: Community project thingy[/msg])

Sounds like you are trying to remake youtube
hackingesfun
New User
New User

Post by 3vilp4wn on Sun May 19, 2013 10:55 pm
([msg=75697]see Re: Community project thingy[/msg])

Cool.
I remembered that I can also program ActionScript (Flash) for playing videos.
Someone should start an irc channel for this, so we can all talk without near endless back and forth on the forums. We could also commandeer #coffeesh0p, as I idle there whenever I'm online, as does Ninjex.

This is the idea, right?
-Ninjex- wrote:I personally, think it would be cool to see a social networking site where users could make videos, tutorials, vlogs, ect, except in a more social way. Almost like youtube, except with a facebook interface if that makes sense. You could add in features like a button to request collaborations with other users, group talks, etc.. Maybe even offer out free software, or links to free software with your own tutorials on how to make videos, etc. This will help boost the amount of content being created. This is just my opinion on something that would probably never get big so, don't take me very serious. Also, keep in mind, the newest upcoming sites all have mobile access, as people like things to be easily ready to access, no matter the circumstances. No one likes to wait for anything anymore, so that is a good thing to note.
Do not mistake understanding for realization, and do not mistake realization for liberation
Evil Ninja Hackers
???
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

1A4EAMboaXpgvUSmtRbVRqbfJrbyuGhyoo
3vilp4wn
Poster
Poster

Post by DrRoach on Mon May 20, 2013 9:11 am
([msg=75703]see Re: Community project thingy[/msg])

hackingesfun wrote:Sounds like you are trying to remake youtube

The idea is sort of like youtube except a lot more friend based, it's more based on social media rather than just random people from around the world seeing your videos. Look at the quote below to see the main idea.

Yes thats the one.
DrRoach
Poster
Poster

Post by Samdjo on Mon May 20, 2013 10:33 am
([msg=75704]see Re: Community project thingy[/msg])

I'm interested in getting involved, but have little experience coding. Most of my experience comes from creating not too complicated drupal sites (which means I haven't gotten my hands really dirty with PHP), but to some extend know PHP/html/css and I'd be interested in joining the project as a chance to learn more
Samdjo
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Mon May 20, 2013 11:26 am
([msg=75705]see Re: Community project thingy[/msg])

In order to get this off the ground as soon as possible, I'd do the following:

Get phabricator running on a subdomain for the project. This will make development SO MUCH EASIER (if it even gets to that point).

Phabricator allows you to task out things, discuss them, etc. We are using it for HTS dev at the moment in hopes to get development flowing again.

Also, before then, a trello board for the project might be a good option.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by DrRoach on Mon May 20, 2013 3:05 pm
([msg=75708]see Re: Community project thingy[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:In order to get this off the ground as soon as possible, I'd do the following:

Get phabricator running on a subdomain for the project. This will make development SO MUCH EASIER (if it even gets to that point).

Phabricator allows you to task out things, discuss them, etc. We are using it for HTS dev at the moment in hopes to get development flowing again.

Also, before then, a trello board for the project might be a good option.

Thanks for the advice setting both of them up now

Ok so I've set up the trello board, it's called Video Network for those who want to look for it and add to it. Also you need linux or mac OS for the phabricator so if you haven't got one of those you'll need one

And Samdjo I'm more than happy to help you out so if you install a Linux OS on a VM then we can get going
DrRoach
Poster
Poster

Next

Return to General