Cleaner html For The Basic Missions

Got an idea on how things should be done? A problem with something on the site? Voice your opinion!

Cleaner html For The Basic Missions

Post by 3nIGhost on Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:45 pm
([msg=37156]see Cleaner html For The Basic Missions[/msg])

Hey Everyone , How's everyone doing so far? well i know i have been on down time in the longest time i havent been on since last year but i've been out of the country serving my country thank you all who support... well back to The Basic Missions i was looking at the html code and alot of the newbs were complaining about them not knowing how to get the password (typical newb) but i think if we make the html more readible and cleaner so newbs could understand what they are seeing i think that might be alot of help for them. only for the basic missions the rest should know how to get it the hard way.. thank you all for reading and hopefully someone could get back to me and see what could be done for this issue.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

|Theodore Geisel (Dr. Seuss)
User avatar
3nIGhost
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:09 am
Location: NJ,USA
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Cleaner html For The Basic Missions

Post by sanddbox on Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:14 pm
([msg=37157]see Re: Cleaner html For The Basic Missions[/msg])

3nIGhost wrote:Hey Everyone , How's everyone doing so far? well i know i have been on down time in the longest time i havent been on since last year but i've been out of the country serving my country thank you all who support... well back to The Basic Missions i was looking at the html code and alot of the newbs were complaining about them not knowing how to get the password (typical newb) but i think if we make the html more readible and cleaner so newbs could understand what they are seeing i think that might be alot of help for them. only for the basic missions the rest should know how to get it the hard way.. thank you all for reading and hopefully someone could get back to me and see what could be done for this issue.


I don't really see an issue. 'Cleaning up the HTML' would just make the page look worse. The noob you are referring to didn't even know how to view HTML. Honestly, the kinds of people that can't pass basic 1 aren't the kinds of people we want to accommodate here.
Image

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
User avatar
sanddbox
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2344
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Cleaner html For The Basic Missions

Post by 3nIGhost on Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:59 pm
([msg=37158]see Re: Cleaner html For The Basic Missions[/msg])

sanddbox wrote:
3nIGhost wrote:Hey Everyone , How's everyone doing so far? well i know i have been on down time in the longest time i havent been on since last year but i've been out of the country serving my country thank you all who support... well back to The Basic Missions i was looking at the html code and alot of the newbs were complaining about them not knowing how to get the password (typical newb) but i think if we make the html more readible and cleaner so newbs could understand what they are seeing i think that might be alot of help for them. only for the basic missions the rest should know how to get it the hard way.. thank you all for reading and hopefully someone could get back to me and see what could be done for this issue.


I don't really see an issue. 'Cleaning up the HTML' would just make the page look worse. The noob you are referring to didn't even know how to view HTML. Honestly, the kinds of people that can't pass basic 1 aren't the kinds of people we want to accommodate here.



lol you must not know what you are trying to say, but i.e. - in your comment you said "I don't really see an issue. 'Cleaning up the HTML' would just make the page look worse. " obviously if you cleanup the html for ppl who understand what i meant it wont do anything to the page just make the source code cleaner and more user friendly for noobs to LEARN & UNDERSTAND the html because that is why our community is here to make future hackers and train them. so if you dont have important things to say to make the site alot better then dont say things that did not pertain to what i was reffering too, btw i was most likely speaking to the site mods about this little issue and if no one wanted to do it i wouldnt mind doing it my self. thank you. 8-)
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

|Theodore Geisel (Dr. Seuss)
User avatar
3nIGhost
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:09 am
Location: NJ,USA
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Cleaner html For The Basic Missions

Post by sanddbox on Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:27 pm
([msg=37159]see Re: Cleaner html For The Basic Missions[/msg])

3nIGhost wrote:
sanddbox wrote:
3nIGhost wrote:Hey Everyone , How's everyone doing so far? well i know i have been on down time in the longest time i havent been on since last year but i've been out of the country serving my country thank you all who support... well back to The Basic Missions i was looking at the html code and alot of the newbs were complaining about them not knowing how to get the password (typical newb) but i think if we make the html more readible and cleaner so newbs could understand what they are seeing i think that might be alot of help for them. only for the basic missions the rest should know how to get it the hard way.. thank you all for reading and hopefully someone could get back to me and see what could be done for this issue.


I don't really see an issue. 'Cleaning up the HTML' would just make the page look worse. The noob you are referring to didn't even know how to view HTML. Honestly, the kinds of people that can't pass basic 1 aren't the kinds of people we want to accommodate here.



lol you must not know what you are trying to say, but i.e. - in your comment you said "I don't really see an issue. 'Cleaning up the HTML' would just make the page look worse. " obviously if you cleanup the html for ppl who understand what i meant it wont do anything to the page just make the source code cleaner and more user friendly for noobs to LEARN & UNDERSTAND the html because that is why our community is here to make future hackers and train them. so if you dont have important things to say to make the site alot better then dont say things that did not pertain to what i was reffering too, btw i was most likely speaking to the site mods about this little issue and if no one wanted to do it i wouldnt mind doing it my self. thank you. 8-)


Could you give an example of how you would clean the HTML?
Image

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
User avatar
sanddbox
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2344
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Cleaner html For The Basic Missions

Post by Goatboy on Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:36 pm
([msg=37161]see Re: Cleaner html For The Basic Missions[/msg])

Here's a mod response for you:

Every day we have to go through this forum and kindly explain to people why we (cannot just give them the passwords)||(cannot break into their ex's e-mail account)||(cannot deface a site for them). This is frustrating for many reasons, not the least of which is the amount of respect we get. Most of the time, all we get is flamed for being a "pissy mod" or an "elitist" when we are just doing what we volunteered for.

Now, if we "clean up" the HTML, that's not really preparing people for the real world, nor is it helping them. Basic Mission 1 is called the "Idiot Test" for a reason, and making it any easier would just be lowering the bar. We are here to teach, but spoonfeeding != teaching. In fact, if I had my way, you would need to complete Basic Mission 1 before you gain any access to the forum. And to keep people from looking up the answer, the pass would be dynamically generated each time.

So, if you think the HTML needs to be cleaned up, feel free to clean it yourself. Maybe the devs will change it. I hope they don't. We get enough idiots in here as it is that are just looking for the points so they can show off to their friends how much of a l33t üb3r h4x0r they are.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
User avatar
Goatboy
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2865
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:35 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Cleaner html For The Basic Missions

Post by insomaniacal on Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:41 pm
([msg=37189]see Re: Cleaner html For The Basic Missions[/msg])

Though there probably arent many websites that keep their passwords in an HTML file open to the public:

Real world sites do not have nice clean, easy to read HTML 95% of the time. HTS tries to give people a somewhat realistic environment. I don't see a point in cleaning up the code, not to mention, it encourages people to learn how to search through code for what they want.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
User avatar
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 10:21 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Cleaner html For The Basic Missions

Post by Defience on Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:49 pm
([msg=37192]see Re: Cleaner html For The Basic Missions[/msg])

3nIGhost, while I understand what you're saying I think the basic missions are fine the way they are. Depending on the browser used, the color in the source code for basic 1 jumps out as well as the option of ctrl+f, or just taking your time to look through it, which is actually more realistic. One of the biggest problems I've seen with basic 1 is that some users cannot understand why when they enter their own password, it doesn't work. There is also a link on the front page of basic 1 to:
http:www.w3schools.com/HTML
User avatar
Defience
Addict
Addict
 
Posts: 1281
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:16 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Cleaner html For The Basic Missions

Post by sanddbox on Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:32 pm
([msg=37206]see Re: Cleaner html For The Basic Missions[/msg])

Exactly. I've already said it but I'd like to reemphasize: while we all think up ways to make missions 'noob friendly' or some amazing technique to teach people, the kinds of people who can't think for themselves and figure things out aren't the kinds of people to make hackers.
Image

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
User avatar
sanddbox
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2344
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)



Return to Comments & Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests