forum help

Got an idea on how things should be done? A problem with something on the site? Voice your opinion!

forum help

Post by darthyutsi2 on Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:41 pm
([msg=21257]see forum help[/msg])

I enjoy hackthissite and reading the forums, but the thing that annoys me is that whenever i want help on a forum, 90% of what people say is confusing stuff like sql, HTML, ASCII, Perl, etc.. And when me or another confused person on the site asks what that is, the person links to some deep, advanced, confusing, 30 page long tutorial they found on google, or, to make things even more difficult, they say "go on google" or "remember the basics" while I can't even do the basics because of the lack of help. And most of the people saying this are mods. So can mods please be more specific and helpful on the site, because tutorials really are too confusing, and I respect the no spoilers rule, but sometimes I feel if someone doesn't give me a push, i'll never be able to do this mission. :(
darthyutsi2
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: forum help

Post by Monica on Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:04 pm
([msg=21259]see Re: forum help[/msg])

The reason why spoilers are discouraged is because the spoilers that are posted here are TOO MUCH of a give-away and completely spoil the mission(s) for other users. Most of them contain Mission Links, Mission File Names/Pages, Mission Scripts, etc. However, (minimal) spoilers are natural. I call these "hints". Hints are just a push in the right direction by giving you the opportunity to actually LEARN. Are you here to learn? If so, you are going to need to do some work, and have determination and patience.

For starters, I'd suggest that you try the Basic Missions. HTML is a language used to create and display web pages with a web browser. HTML is REQUIRED to complete the missions. If you refuse learn it, it is IMPOSSIBLE to start on any mission at all! To learn HTML, please read: http://www.w3schools.com/HTML/

Because you have NOT even tried learning HTML, I am assuming you are very, VERY inexperienced with computers. You seriously need more guidance, which is understandable. You need to learn a bit about your web browser. If somehow you do not even know what it is, a web browser is a software/program that allows you to search or view information (such as websites) on the internet. A few popular browsers are Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, etc.

Otherwise, if you refuse to learn, you have wasted time complaining about HackThisSite moderators on our forum and have gained NOTHING. The End.
hi am new so plz dont troll me or i report 2 the HTS mods ty
Monica
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JK24601 on Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:00 am
([msg=22413]see Re: forum help[/msg])

I'm a new user ,I think only this way we can learn something! thanks HackThisSite staff! :)
JK24601
New User
New User

Post by brayden13 on Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:25 am
([msg=22415]see Re: forum help[/msg])

You don't even need to know much HTML to do the first mission. You just gotta know how to get to the page source code.

I don't know much HTML but its' pretty simple. I need to learn a bit more however. Also the application missions are like that. The first one is easy but the other missions wont' work as I run linux and i was only able to do the first few missions as they where simple and the programs worked in wine. but the other ones don't work too well.
brayden13
New User
New User

Post by Akumetsu on Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:57 pm
([msg=22859]see Re: forum help[/msg])

Ok I have a problem with avatars... I didn't want to make a new thread since this one covers forum help in general... but I can't seem to get gif avatars to work. They always freeze... this is the one I want to use... Image

Help?

Akumetsu
New User
New User

Post by godofcereal on Fri May 01, 2009 1:18 am
([msg=22887]see Re: forum help[/msg])

HTS does not support .gif avatars.
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Post by Akumetsu on Fri May 01, 2009 11:58 am
([msg=22943]see Re: forum help[/msg])

godofcereal wrote:HTS does not support .gif avatars.

I thought it did...

Akumetsu
New User
New User

Post by godofcereal on Fri May 01, 2009 12:07 pm
([msg=22945]see Re: forum help[/msg])

Well havent checked that in months. Forums may be different.

-- Fri May 01, 2009 5:08 pm --

Well havent checked that in months. Forums may be different.
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Post by Akumetsu on Fri May 01, 2009 6:30 pm
([msg=22970]see Re: forum help[/msg])

Mmmk I'll just re-upload mt other one then. :)
Akumetsu
New User
New User

Post by NightQuest on Fri May 01, 2009 7:06 pm
([msg=22974]see Re: forum help[/msg])

Akumetsu wrote: Ok I have a problem with avatars... I didn't want to make a new thread since this one covers forum help in general... but I can't seem to get gif avatars to work. They always freeze... this is the one I want to use...
Help?

HTS re-encodes images that are uploaded to it, unfortunately, this is also buggy.
Images can't have transparency, or be animated .. :/
NightQuest
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Comments & Suggestions