Ranking System For Forum Comments

Got an idea on how things should be done? A problem with something on the site? Voice your opinion!

Ranking System For Forum Comments

Post by Andomis on Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:25 pm
([msg=17245]see Ranking System For Forum Comments[/msg])

I think that we should add a way to do either a + or a - by peoples comments to show how worth reading some are. Then these will compile into your accounts and give you a -5 to +5 rating (starting at 0) for your quality of input. I have noticed that there seem to be a lot of users that post on everything and anything that they can- even if they obviously seem to not know what they are talking about- others might not realize what they are reading isn't true.

The number of posts != the quality of the poster, and I believe that the current method for ranking "new poster, experienced poster, poster, etc..." is rather miss leading to new people to the site. We can still keep the tally of posts, just the ranking shouldn't go off that.

Quality not quantity.

Maybe I am just full of myself, but I try to make my posts as detailed as possible (normally to the point where it will kill the thread because it completely answers the questions asked)- and I think some others do this also, but I am beginning to see trends of people just posting to post. I wont point fingers, but you know who you are- and it only adds clutter.

Thoughts?

Alive,
Andomis
"I'm choking on that four letter word, it sticks in my throat as i read the words YOU wrote..."
Andomis
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Ranking System For Forum Comments

Post by xcurious on Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:02 pm
([msg=17247]see Re: Ranking System For Forum Comments[/msg])

I think that grading peoples comments is a great idea. You know if you think about it, similar to a high school grading system, where the teacher makes effort into grading that particular student, the student then knows that he will be graded so he puts out much effort into his work. Yeah like my math teacher, Mr.Booth, boy he grades us hard!, you know I sometimes cry when i know he will be grading my papers, there was this one math paper, on trigonometry, he gave us college math! and we weren't even at that level as yet but yet he grade us hard, if you were lucky to get a c+, you would be considered a genius, you know i wonder what his classes would be like now, i kinda miss those days, you know when you actually were thinking? and not cheating? he also had a ranking system but
- Apologies to all who I have flamed in the past. Thanks mods for unbanning me.

ckw100 wrote:so i have been pacticeing my batch file hacking for networks
xcurious
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by DenyTheTruth on Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:21 am
([msg=17250]see Re: Ranking System For Forum Comments[/msg])

Andomis wrote:Maybe I am just full of myself, but I try to make my posts as detailed as possible (normally to the point where it will kill the thread because it completely answers the questions asked)

Hence the reason the "topic solved" system was implemented.

Anyway, I don't know how I feel about your proposal. I'll have to think on it a bit.
~ Parruption in Coradise ~
DenyTheTruth
Poster
Poster

Post by The_Computer_Wizard on Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:53 am
([msg=17255]see Re: Ranking System For Forum Comments[/msg])

i think its a good idea
the forums i used to be on all the time (gamingforums.com) had a system like this
they called it "rep" and honestly it helped me a lot
if i was asking for information that would potentially do harm to my system if i messed up, i would have much rather gotten it from someone with a higher rep
it was just reassuring in a way

also, it is not something you can really spam, as people who post a ton will probably not get any rep and thus people can pretty much ignore whatever they say

however there is another edge to this sword, new users and even those with low rep could be hurt by this, as they might get looked over for not having any rep, thus their contributions will have less of an impact

overal though, i think its a good idea, with the pros outweighing the cons
The_Computer_Wizard
Poster
Poster

Post by DenyTheTruth on Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:41 pm
([msg=17282]see Re: Ranking System For Forum Comments[/msg])

I believe simply providing sources to your information is the best way to solve this problem in all honesty. You had to learn it from somewhere and chances are if you know it someone else does and that means it's likely out on the intarwebz.
DenyTheTruth
Poster
Poster

Post by comperr on Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:26 pm
([msg=17350]see Re: Ranking System For Forum Comments[/msg])

This system (also known as "points" or "karma") is still in beta by its author. While it is possible that we could write our own it would become very difficult to maintain when new phpBB releases come about.
This is something that I am looking into though.
comperr
Poster
Poster

Post by Andomis on Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:42 am
([msg=17357]see Re: Ranking System For Forum Comments[/msg])

k- Thanks for the reply comperr! I totally get what you mean.
"I'm choking on that four letter word, it sticks in my throat as i read the words YOU wrote..."
Andomis
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by DenyTheTruth on Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:03 pm
([msg=17399]see Re: Ranking System For Forum Comments[/msg])

The major problem with points and karma (from what I saw when I used it on an older forum), is that it compliments the user and not the forum post.

Say you have someone who is really, really intelligent in the field of software but doesn't know ATI from nVidia when it comes to hardware. That person is going to get credit due to his high karma when someone else may be overlooked.

The karma system is also a way to really spite people you hate and promote morons you are friends with. It's flawed and will result in flawed answers if not monitored carefully.
DenyTheTruth
Poster
Poster

Post by Arrexel on Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:16 am
([msg=18355]see Re: Ranking System For Forum Comments[/msg])

I agree with the above statement. Although this system has many positive benefits, they are all overcome by its negatives.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Unverified Quote, 1945 - Thomas J. Watson, Founder of IBM
Arrexel
New User
New User

Post by TheMindRapist on Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:51 pm
([msg=18669]see Re: Ranking System For Forum Comments[/msg])

I think that perhaps creating more groups of 'normal' users would be a good idea.
I believe comperr tried implementing this once, the idea is that you can be 'promoted' to a higher group.
If a moderator or enough people in a group higher than you think you are worthy of joining the group you can be moved to it.
As you move us groups, you can get different privileges such as an increased PM limit, access to new forums, or perhaps automatic approval of your posts in the NZone.
TheMindRapist
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Comments & Suggestions