me and my great ideas

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

me and my great ideas

Post by pretentious on Wed May 04, 2011 7:49 pm
([msg=56995]see me and my great ideas[/msg])

I've got a problem that my basic trouble shooting hasn't been able to solve as of yet. I could probably persist with goggle but I think the problem is kind of specific to my situation. I am/was running Linux mint and it was working fine except with my extensive customisations, i managed to somehow disable my mouse touch pad, which became a bit of a pain when i wanted to use my laptop anywhere and everywhere because i would need to bring an optical mouse. because, from a bit of tinkering i determined the cause of my problem was not hardware, i figured i could just start from scratch again. back up the few files i had on my system and do a fresh install. I booted with my live usb and installed mint again. Everything seemed to go to plan but when i rebooted my computer, the OS wouldn't load. It would just have the flashing underscore in the top left hand corner. I tried to reinstall the OS several times. connected to the net, not connected to the net. I tried installing ubuntu, tried taking the battery out and putting it back in, because that worked in the past when my computer crapped itself. nothing worked. I think all the hardware is still functioning fine because the computer works when using a live usb. So I figure that for some reason, my computer refuses to boot from the HDD. Any ideas on how to solve this?
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: me and my great ideas

Post by msbachman on Wed May 04, 2011 7:57 pm
([msg=56996]see Re: me and my great ideas[/msg])

Did you enable restricted drivers, such as those for nvidia graphics?

Mint was actually quite kind to my xorg.conf file; in fact, back when I migrated back to Ubuntu I imported over my xorg file from the prior mint install without ill result.

A couple more questions for you: are you using an encrypted disk? I've also encountered a problem where the OS would hang every alternate boot prior to the authentication screen. No tty's, no cursor, seemingly no disk activity, nothing. This second problem was solved by simply rebooting a second time--not ideal, but it worked in a pinch.

So, what about doing something like alt-f3 (or ctrl+alt+fsomethinglessthan7) or something to bring up another terminal? If my memory serves me right, and the same steps work for you, what I ended up doing was something to the effect of installing the linux-headers and nvidia-current, verifying the contents of my xorg.conf file and rebooting.

All this assumes it's a result of a similar problem, no guarantees but hope it's a problem with X11's configuration--there's plenty of documentation online for that as well.
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mojo1948 on Wed May 04, 2011 9:49 pm
([msg=56999]see Re: me and my great ideas[/msg])

If all you're getting is the underscore, it sounds like your partition is not marked as active, I think mint uses parted to set partition flags check out the man pages.
Never stop learning.
mojo1948
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by pretentious on Wed May 04, 2011 11:05 pm
([msg=57004]see Re: me and my great ideas[/msg])

I have an ATI radeon sticker on my laptop and that is about as far as my knowledge of graphics hardware goes. I had the specific graphics driver enabled on the last installation that worked. My disk hasn't been encrypted. When I press any buttons, I just get a loud beep. From that, I don't think the computer even gets as far as loading the OS, so my suspicions have turned to grub. I might try to reinstall windows. That's better than nothing for the time being.

Edit: For some reason, the page didn't load properly and i didn't see your post, mojo1948. I'll look into it. I would have thought the installation would have done that by itself though.
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

pretentious
Addict
Addict

Post by fashizzlepop on Thu May 05, 2011 1:07 am
([msg=57010]see Re: me and my great ideas[/msg])

Reset your BIOS. If it doesn't even boot something is wrong with the BIOS/Hardware.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by pretentious on Thu May 05, 2011 2:23 am
([msg=57016]see Re: me and my great ideas[/msg])

I managed to solve the problem by deleting all my partitions and installing the OS again. I still don't know what exactly was wrong, but I didn't really have time to find out.

pretentious
Addict
Addict

Return to NZone