where to start?

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

where to start?

Post by setotitan on Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:11 pm
([msg=30457]see where to start?[/msg])

hey all, well this is my inaugural post here on HTS. i've been looking for a good community where i could get some support on hacking, phreaking and the like. i guess it all seems a bit intimidating at the start. i've got a firm grasp on computers in general and understand most concepts behind their use, however there's always been a side of me that was drawn to hacking, like rooting for Vegeta or any other anti-hero (sorry for the DBZ reference so soon). it started for me when i was about 12 or 13, my dad had bought us this packard bell pc and intended it mostly for word processing. but of course like anyone back then we decided to get AOL so we could be part of this "interweb". all there was to do back then was chat rooms, which is where i heard of AOHell, so i promptly downloaded a copy, got a virus and crashed our new family's computer. i was forbidden to do whatever it is i did :lol: which made me more interested in AOHell and led me to pick up a book about DOS, which inevitably led to multiple formats and re-installs of of our OS. i really liked the idea of "controlling my computer", finding out what it could do and what i could make it do, sprinkle in a little kazza and napster through our blazing dial-up connection, and i soon found out there was a wealth of information and entertainment at your fingertips FOR FREE.. if you knew how to ask.

well years passed and i got more wrapped up in making money then making myself happy. working with computers is the only thing that makes sense to me, it's all about logic. well i've decided to quit my day job and go into some form of IT. i'm looking for a help desk job now just so i can work my way up. i give you all this background because i'm really interested in hacking and finding out what's new and exciting out there, however i don't know where to begin. the thing that set me off was i was about to get my internet canceled, so i thought how could i get free internet? then that lead to how could i hack someones connection, to how could i get into their computer, to how would i get past their security. not to destroy anything, just to know that i could do it. (if that makes any sense) i checked out the exercises on the front page and they were really cool. i only got to number 4 on the basics though :roll: at first i thought i needed to be learning some program language like python or C+ now i'm wondering if i should start learning PHP or perl.

bottom line where do i begin? where do i learn to get past test 4? am i just supposed to google/ask questions about each test and thereby sort of teach myself, or is there a better place to start? i know this has been very wordy but i'd really like to become a guru one day, consider this my first step...
setotitan
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: where to start?

Post by Dr_Phil on Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:39 pm
([msg=30459]see Re: where to start?[/msg])

The best place to start is to program by yourself.
When you know how to build you will also know how to use the most common mistakes to your gain.

PHP would be a good language to learn, but if I were I should have started with a language which would give you some good coding habits, like C++ or maybe Java. After you have learned a language like that you will have no problems with PHP and you will almost be ready to do your first website immediately when you try it.
Dr_Phil
Poster
Poster

Post by Goatboy on Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:36 pm
([msg=30461]see Re: where to start?[/msg])

Well first off, welcome to the site! I'm sure you will find something here that will help you in your quest for knowledge.

My advice for you is to learn by doing. Don't just read about how to code in, for example, C++. Read it, use it, know it. The way I started with PHP was by making simple yet functional applications, such as a file upload form, simple forum, and some input-handling functions for various side projects. By doing those small to medium-sized projects, I have learned more than I ever could by just reading.

Another thing you should do is become knowledgeable in a wide variety of fields. That does not mean you have to know every detail of everything related to computers, but at least have a general idea of most of the concepts. A good sense of curiosity will get you far.

My last piece of advice is to be active on these forums. Most people learn better if they can discuss their ideas with an active community, and we are no exception. One thing to note is that your post count does not matter, and neither does how many challenge points you have. This site is not about who has a higher score. It's about learning.

That said, have fun, and may the Source be with you.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Dr_Phil on Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:21 pm
([msg=30464]see Re: where to start?[/msg])

If you want a good understanding about computers and also wants to write code then you should flush windows, linux is the thing for you.

Well, if you like playing games you maybe shouldn't flush it completely. Start with dual-booting and use windows only when there is no other alternative. You will learn a lot about computers just by having linux. And if you want to test your skille you should use a Live-CD of DVL. :D
Dr_Phil
Poster
Poster

Post by godofcereal on Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:50 am
([msg=30474]see Re: where to start?[/msg])

To get past basic 4 you will need to know basic HTML.
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Post by Monica on Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:10 am
([msg=30490]see Re: where to start?[/msg])

November 10th, 2009.

Test message: Moved to _____________
hi am new so plz dont troll me or i report 2 the HTS mods ty
Monica
Contributor
Contributor

Return to NZone