Copyright?

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Copyright?

Post by Trashy Rambo on Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:08 am
([msg=9008]see Copyright?[/msg])

Hey guys. As I'm sure you've noticed, I'm a bit new here. I am wondering about copyright Law, though I am not sure this is the right place to put it. If I were to crack the protection on my personal DVD's and copy them onto my own computer, would this be breaking the law?
Trashy Rambo
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Copyright?

Post by leonidas_heaven on Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:18 am
([msg=9010]see Re: Copyright?[/msg])

yes by doing this you will be breaking the copyright of that DVD,and this is illegal . :twisted:
But don't worry every single person and every cool dude keeps copying this type of Stuffs on their Boxes...
No one care about this ...
just copy the DVD enjoy the movie...
NO one from NSA or FBI is going to come and put you in a jail..
you should do it carefully and delete the stuff if your work is over..
bye have fun

for more queries keep posting.....

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Challenges are not meant to be taken easily,rather they are meant to be taken Seriously
leonidas_heaven
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by atrius on Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:30 am
([msg=9364]see Re: Copyright?[/msg])

I think this depends - it is ok to backup DVD's or CD's. Court rulings (dont ask for links, this is from memory), have said thats ok. However, if the DVD or CD has any form of protection to try to stop you from doing this, then yes, its illegal - you are making a copy of somebody elses work.

I think if you physically own the DVD and you have a digital copy, that should be fine. If you dont own the dvd's, and you have several hundered on your computer... well, that looks like stealing.

Copyright and digital laws can depend on where you are in the world (or even which state you are in).
atrius
New User
New User

Post by nathandelane on Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:39 am
([msg=9549]see Re: Copyright?[/msg])

Trashy Rambo wrote:Hey guys. As I'm sure you've noticed, I'm a bit new here. I am wondering about copyright Law, though I am not sure this is the right place to put it. If I were to crack the protection on my personal DVD's and copy them onto my own computer, would this be breaking the law?

This actually doesn't have anything to do with Copyright law, rather it has to do with DMCA - the act states that it is illegal to decrypt commercial products basically - it the event of copying DVDs, most DVDs must be first decrypted (they use Content Scrambling System from Sony, otherwise known as CSS, which is a very weak encryption because the private key resides on the DVD itself) to copy them properly.
Me, Nathandelane, Highly influential to Hackerdom, Premature Optimization=http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PrematureOptimization
nathandelane
Poster
Poster

Return to NZone