how to open .DAT files??

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

how to open .DAT files??

Post by anonymousnewbie on Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:36 am
([msg=8829]see how to open .DAT files??[/msg])

is there any software that can open .DAT files?because i have read that .DAT files can be anything, .DAT(data files).i have try to open it with notepad, wordpad, msword, mediaplayer, and vlc...still can not open.
i would like to view file from yahoo messenger archive messages...anyone please?i'm not hacking but i'm learning...
anonymousnewbie
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: how to open .DAT files??

Post by leonidas_heaven on Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:07 am
([msg=8830]see Re: how to open .DAT files??[/msg])

so first i would like to tell you that .DAT files sometimes represent Media files but sometimes it is also created for keeping information.so if the .DAT file is having text and it is not corrupted or protected then it can easily be opened using notepad.or u You can use notepad ++.but the file u mentioned could have some other problem.check it properly...

DUDE :ugeek: have fun..... :roll:
Challenges are not meant to be taken easily,rather they are meant to be taken Seriously
leonidas_heaven
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by mutants_r_us_guild on Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:53 am
([msg=8831]see Re: how to open .DAT files??[/msg])

Hmmm.... a DAT file is just a file full of data, which every file is. So anything can be a DAT. Instead look for a program to read yahoo messenger files. That search is more likely to turn up good results. As far as I know there are only two programs that open DATs. Windows Media Player (if the DAT is actually an MPG from a video CD) and Allegro Grabber (if the file is for a program written in the allegro library). But I doubt it is either of theses. So keep looking, and as previously stated - Have fun. :D
mutants_r_us_guild
Poster
Poster

Post by nathandelane on Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:08 am
([msg=8836]see Re: how to open .DAT files??[/msg])

A hex editor works nicely.
Me, Nathandelane, Highly influential to Hackerdom, Premature Optimization=http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PrematureOptimization
nathandelane
Poster
Poster

Return to NZone