Seeking advice about email hacking...

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Seeking advice about email hacking...

Post by BobGhanja on Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:35 pm
([msg=90385]see Seeking advice about email hacking...[/msg])

Hey guys,

Since this is my first post here, I though I'd give some background of myself first and then get into my dilemma afterward (EDIT: sorry, I didn't realize that I can't talk about anything illegal here, my mistake, thank you for being understanding).

.(Deleted)

At this point I am a total newb, not just here at HTS but I've only begun to take learning about hacking seriously since about a month ago. I have never been formally trained in any programming, I've mainly stuck to Codecademy courses on basic HTML/CSS, JavaScript (halfway done), PHP (halfway done), and Linux/Unix commands. Also, I've only completed up to Level 7 in the basic missions. My goal is to work my way up through Java, Perl, Python and Ruby, and eventually get to learning C. However, the more I learn about coding, I'm beginning to think that looking for web and telecommunication vulnerabilities will be more practical for why I'm interested in learning to hack in the first place.

Which brings me to my current situation.

.(Deleted)

I intend on doing as much research as possible, both here in the forums as well as elsewhere, but I was hoping some of the more experienced users could help me out here. Here's what I can gather thus far (this will be updated/edited as I continue to get more advice/info)...

~There's a lot of mixed opinions about TOR. Some call it an NSA honeypot, some still swear by it. Even if TOR is NSA monitored, I have a feeling they're not as interested in some college-nobody getting their account compromised, or pretty much anything not related to terrorism/national security. My door would've been kicked in a LONG time ago if they cared about all of the messed up/illegal stuff I've done/gotten my hands on through TOR over the past few years. Could this be a good way of resetting the password and gaining access?

~Whatever I do download, it will all have to go directly to a thumb drive. Not saved onto the computer and then moved. It has to go straight to the thumb-drive. Not sure what the technical reason is but I've heard about it somewhere before, sounds believable.

Any advice would be appreciated guys, and thank you in advance.
Last edited by BobGhanja on Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
BobGhanja
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: About to attempt my first email hack, seeking advice...

Post by Goatboy on Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:33 am
([msg=90392]see Re: About to attempt my first email hack, seeking advice...[/msg])

*sigh*

Normally this is the point where I would say something to the following effect:

"Get the fuck out of here. We don't support illegal activities, this is clearly posted all over the forums. We are not interested in helping you h4x03 sum 1337 emailz."

However, from your post I can tell you've at least put some thought into this so I don't want to entirely turn you away.

No, we will not help you do this. It's not what we're about, and the reason we haven't been shut down is because we know how to stay on the right side of the law as a group. Yes, individual members of this site (myself included) have broken the law, and yes, individual members of this site have been caught (myself included) and punished (myself included), and some of us even learned from our mistakes (myself included). But as HackThisSite, as an organization we cannot condone this type of activity.

What I can tell you is that TOR is not something I trust, nor should you. Read into some of the recent (last 2 or 3 years) leaks and you'll come to the same conclusion if you're half as smart as you appear to be. TOR traffic, if it is not already broken, is at the very least being recorded for possible later decryption. And while it is true that they may not care about this person's individual email being broken into, that does not mean they will not provide that information to other agencies that might.

I can also tell you that I question the value of this endeavor. What is the goal?

• Do you have a grudge? Move on and find other ways to ruin the person's life that don't involve a double-edged sword. But you don't seem like the vengeful type, so...
  • Are you just curious to see if you can do it? If so, the answer is probably "Yes". I had that same curiosity and I found out that, yea, I can do it. And I can get caught. And I can tell you it sucks.
  • Is there something in that inbox you are willing to risk jail time for? You probably wouldn't get prison time, but the CFAA can be a harsh son of a bitch if you piss off the wrong people. Or have the wrong skin color. Or have a bad attitude.

But you came here for advice. My advice? Move on. You seem smart, maybe not "31337" but you've got enough foresight to plan ahead before you do something dumb. Use that to your advantage, practice as much as you can legally, and get a nice job in infosec. Watch some DefCon videos. Do this practice CTF. Do a real CTF. Read Phrack. Do the HTS challenges. Take the OSCP cert.

Skip Java. Learn C. Learn Python. Learn PHP. Learn Ruby. Go back now and learn Java if you want. Build a web page. Build a web site. Break that web site. Fix that web site. Read the source code to a small open-source project. Understand it. Modify it. Improve it. Contribute back. Get on IRC. Get on Twitter if that's your thing. Talk to people. Go to conferences. Seriously, talk to people. Learn from people. Teach people.

Do anything that will satiate your need to learn and keep you out of a cell at the same time.

The world is so much bigger than some person's inbox.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Re: About to attempt my first email hack, seeking advice...

Post by BobGhanja on Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:16 am
([msg=90396]see Re: About to attempt my first email hack, seeking advice...[/msg])

Hey,

Sorry about that, I kind of feel like I searched a lot of the forums and didn't see any rule about that. Not saying it isn't posted but I couldn't find it anywhere. Thanks for being understanding.

Anyway, still seeking any advice available with regards to maintaining anonymity when accessing email accounts. Much appreciated in advance.
BobGhanja
New User
New User

Return to NZone