Is this normal or am I not cut out for this?

Bad threads go here

Is this normal or am I not cut out for this?

Post by Eagles50124 on Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:11 am
([msg=90056]see Is this normal or am I not cut out for this?[/msg])

DISCLAIMER: I am not sure if this is the right forum location...

Hey guys. I have just started the basic missions. Now for about the first 3 I didn't really need any help. But for mostly everyone after that (up to 9) I had to look up videos. For the encryption mission I had to watch a video but just on a ASCII table and I was able to decrypt from there. Anyways. Is this normal for beginners? My only programming experience is basic c++(AND I MEAN BASIC) and a little of html(more so Xhtml). Also should I continue to watch videos, try my hardest w/o vids and probably never solve it, or learn more about SSI and javascript? If the third one is the case, can anyone send me some tutorials (videos preferred but doesnt matter) on those things? Thanks for any help.

TL;DR: Is it normal for people to get stuck on easy missions and use help, and should I use vids or learn more about javascript/SSI, etc.
Eagles50124
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Is this normal or am I not cut out for this?

Post by LiquidLemon on Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:48 am
([msg=90057]see Re: Is this normal or am I not cut out for this?[/msg])

It's normal that you get stuck. Especially when you don't have a big understanding of HTML and javascript.
And yes, you should stop watching guides that show you how to complete missions. There's nothing wrong with looking for hints (there's even an entire subforum dedicated to help people solve missions). But the point of these missions is to teach something. So would you rather have all missions completed without understanding them or get stuck forever at some point but learn something in the process?

If you always choose the easy way out you'll never learn anything. And it's all about learning.
LiquidLemon

Post by -Ninjex- on Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:04 am
([msg=90093]see Re: Is this normal or am I not cut out for this?[/msg])

I don't encourage people to look up answers, but let's face it; we are all grown (well, most of us) adults and we are going to do what we please. I encourage you to try as hard as you can. If you really feel like you have no clue what you are doing, come to these forums; you can get a plethora of hints and information to point you in the right direction. After this, if you STILL are lost, feel free to ask on the forums, or hop into IRC and ask specific questions (don't ask for answers). Now, getting back to this - in the end, you are going to do as you please. If you do decide to look up the solutions online, at least find the solutions from a place that is going to help teach you why it works, instead of just throwing the answer at you. This is also true for missions you solved, but maybe you aren't entirely sure why that was the way to solve it, or how it worked. This is a good reason why we seriously need to implement postmortems explaining the challenges and the solutions and how/why they work.
Using videos to learn more about a subject is fine, I'm only discouraging the use of videos that are purely there to give you the answer to the challenges.
For those that know
K: 0x2CD8D4F9
-Ninjex-

Post by Eagles50124 on Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:05 am
([msg=90094]see Re: Is this normal or am I not cut out for this?[/msg])

Thanks for both of your answers. I am gonna look for hints, but not watch any videos, and then learn more javascript/html. Also thanks for giving me good advice.
Eagles50124
New User
New User

Post by tremor77 on Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:42 pm
([msg=90096]see Re: Is this normal or am I not cut out for this?[/msg])

Learning javascript/html isn't really everything, knowing how to program (python would be a good choice) and compile a script that you can run would be very helpful, also a good understanding of math and how security works (or doesn't work). I think it's not enough to know how to use an injection attack but rather, why that works... or how a cookie is stored on your browser and how editing it may fool a website into thinking you are logged in. If you really want to learn some background around the missions without getting spoonfed answers, use wikipedia pages about SQL injection, Cross Site Scripting, DoS attacks, Webserver security and others are just fantastic resources covering the history and the technical behind many common exploit vectors.
tremor77
Addict
Addict

Post by ghostheadx2 on Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:10 pm
([msg=90097]see Re: Is this normal or am I not cut out for this?[/msg])

If you watched the guide for how to complete it, you aren't a hacker. If you can't do the missions, then the right thing to do is learn hacking another way first. What I'm doing is I'm going through a penetration testing book and going through the hacking exposed series afterwards. I'm also learning more programming and computer networking on the side. When I get knowledgeable enough to do this properly, I can go back and try to complete the missions again, having learned more. Once I understand how things work well enough, I'll start to realize the odd things about it. That's what I think you should do too.
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pretentious on Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:11 pm
([msg=90101]see Re: Is this normal or am I not cut out for this?[/msg])

-Ninjex- wrote:I don't encourage people to look up answers, but let's face it; we are all grown (well, most of us) adults and we are going to do what we please.

Full disclosure, I cheated on basic 11... and I also call shenanigans lol I've NEVER seen that file structure ANYWHERE and I bet I never will in the future. I also cheated on one of the missions that requires JTR to crack a user account coz I couldn't get JTR working for some reason. So there are a few imaginary Internet points I don't deserve. This isn't really the thread for it but I don't comment on the mission posts, one because I'm incompetent and couldn't help if i tried and two, because I don't take these missions all that seriously as far as real world hackering skillz go. So OP, don't be too hard on yourself. Keep learning and honing your craft and take from the missions what you will.
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

Did someone say Goat?

Post by Goatbot on Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:09 pm
([msg=90104]see Did someone say Goat?[/msg])

way. Routine: Get wet. Get warm. Shampoo. Fuck around with curtains. Rinse shampoo. Condition. Body. Teeth (try it some time). Shave. Face. Rinse conditioner. Final body rinse. Gotta leave that conditioner in for at least post something somewhat related to the glory days. We no longer have competing warez scenes like we used to, most hacking is done for monetary gain, and a one for negatives. That means you are completely and utterly fucked if it meant Nicki Minaj would sit naked on my face and hoola hoop. Oh god this is a buffer overflow, and I somewhat support the movement, but again - I did hear this at a hacker conference after all), but to me as more of a "Hey Murica, lets git that black feller outta office!" sort of GPIO on a laptop or desktop, I'd probably look for those symbols. So in our faces and then thyself
I use Markov chains to try and imitate HTS user, Goatboy using his post history.
https://github.com/stu1992/GoatBot
1227 posts parsed - 70556 words
Goatbot
New User
New User

Re: Did someone say Goat?

Post by ghostheadx2 on Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:07 am
([msg=90108]see Re: Did someone say Goat?[/msg])

Goatbot wrote:way. Routine: Get wet. Get warm. Shampoo. Fuck around with curtains. Rinse shampoo. Condition. Body. Teeth (try it some time). Shave. Face. Rinse conditioner. Final body rinse. Gotta leave that conditioner in for at least post something somewhat related to the glory days. We no longer have competing warez scenes like we used to, most hacking is done for monetary gain, and a one for negatives. That means you are completely and utterly fucked if it meant Nicki Minaj would sit naked on my face and hoola hoop. Oh god this is a buffer overflow, and I somewhat support the movement, but again - I did hear this at a hacker conference after all), but to me as more of a "Hey Murica, lets git that black feller outta office!" sort of GPIO on a laptop or desktop, I'd probably look for those symbols. So in our faces and then thyself

Goatboat, you are the biggest fucking troll I've ever seen in my entire life.
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Did someone say Goat?

Post by Goatboy on Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:42 pm
([msg=90309]see Re: Did someone say Goat?[/msg])

ghostheadx2 wrote:Goatboat, you are the biggest fucking troll I've ever seen in my entire life.

You've never met Monica then. And I do mean this literally and figuratively - "biggest" has a few meanings.

Also, lulz @ Goatboat. Goatboay approves.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Graveyard