Hey. Quick question...

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Hey. Quick question...

Post by louie540 on Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:25 pm
([msg=55757]see Hey. Quick question...[/msg])

Excuse me for being new. I'm new to the whole hacking thing. I've so far done the basic missions, and about 2 or 3 realistic missions.

There is one website that I'd like to see be taken down. I'm not sure if encouraging hacking breaks the rules, but hey, this is what we do. Some of you may be familiar with the fake youtube page, (without the "E"), there are a couple of other ways to type Youtube wrong that will get you the same website.

Their mission is to have you fill out a 3 question survey, posing as Youtube. They promise you a big reward like a 1,000$ gift card to best buy or an iPad or something. I clicked out at this point, but apparently people fill out their phone numbers, email, etc and are now being spammed.

They don't appear to say that they are Youtube (probably avoiding Copyright complaints), but you know they want you to think that they are.

What do you think? Hackable?
Or maybe they need a couple of "missiles"? Hey we'd be doing a good thing by not allowing other people to fall for their scam.
louie540
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Hey. Quick question...

Post by insomaniacal on Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:54 pm
([msg=55759]see Re: Hey. Quick question...[/msg])

I had to remove your links. From your post, they can easily be deduced, but since HTS has had legal trouble in the past, we don't allow direct linking to sites with the intention of illegal activity.

But, I do agree with you. The 'Net would be better off if these scammer sites just went away. Even if we did do something to put it down, whatever group of scammers owns it would soon fix it up (Anyone who owns a domain so close to a really important domain probably spent a decent amount of time, money, or both trying to acquire it).
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by Reason7194 on Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:00 pm
([msg=55762]see Re: Hey. Quick question...[/msg])

I didn't know that hts has had legal troubles before. Is there a old thread detailing this?
I study Gotafu.
Reason7194
Poster
Poster

Post by mojo1948 on Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:27 pm
([msg=55770]see Re: Hey. Quick question...[/msg])

Reason7194 wrote:I didn't know that hts has had legal troubles before. Is there a old thread detailing this?

Googling "Hack This Site History" will give you a good start if your really interested.
Never stop learning.
mojo1948
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by centip3de on Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:48 pm
([msg=55772]see Re: Hey. Quick question...[/msg])

HTS doesn't support illegal activities, which includes hacking other websites. That means the one you're talking about.

....However....

If somehow, somebody did take it down, I would give them a +1.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de
Addict
Addict

Post by louie540 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:30 am
([msg=55773]see Re: Hey. Quick question...[/msg])

I understand. I wish I knew how to contact anonymous, maybe someone from the group would have time to do it.

If someone from HTS was caught doing it though, I can't imagine what the lawsuit would be like. Someone representing HTS would ask the "victim", "so what exactly is the purpose of your website again?" in front of the Judge/Jury. How would you answer, owning a site like that? lol.
louie540
New User
New User

Post by parakkafaith on Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:07 am
([msg=55774]see Re: Hey. Quick question...[/msg])

louie540 wrote:Someone representing HTS would ask the "victim", "so what exactly is the purpose of your website again?" in front of the Judge/Jury. How would you answer, owning a site like that? lol.

I see where you're going with that, but I'm not sure there'd be a jury involved for a case like that. Even if a jury agreed with the hackers standpoint on what should happen to sites like these, that wouldn't make it legal. The judge/jury decides whether or not you are guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, not whether or not they approve of what you did.
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
- Probably not Arthur C. Clarke
parakkafaith
Poster
Poster

Post by msbachman on Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:21 am
([msg=55776]see Re: Hey. Quick question...[/msg])

parakkafaith wrote:The judge/jury decides whether or not you are guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, not whether or not they approve of what you did.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Jury_nullification
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by parakkafaith on Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:36 am
([msg=55777]see Re: Hey. Quick question...[/msg])

Well I learned something new today! That's pretty neat.

edit: upon further reading, it doesn't seem to be too successful in Canada (where I am). I'd be interested to learn where the line is drawn with jury nullification.
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
- Probably not Arthur C. Clarke
parakkafaith
Poster
Poster

Post by louie540 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:52 am
([msg=55779]see Re: Hey. Quick question...[/msg])

Reason7194 wrote:I didn't know that hts has had legal troubles before. Is there a old thread detailing this?

There's a couple of examples in the link regarding the original HTS owner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Hammond

Wow... Just f***cking wow...
louie540
New User
New User

Return to General