Education?

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Education?

Post by intel 4004 on Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:32 pm
([msg=51931]see Education?[/msg])

So I want to be a Hacker. I know its stupid to say that, but I really have to say it. I want to know what should I major in.... which college would be a good choice. Don't give me those best colleges. I know I have no chance getting in. Thanks for reading.
intel 4004
New User
New User
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:07 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Education?

Post by Goatboy on Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:48 pm
([msg=51933]see Re: Education?[/msg])

Oh, well you obviously need to go to Hacker University. Seriously, no college is going to teach you how to "hack" anything. There is no hacking major, there is no hacking college. Just go out and learn as much stuff as you can about computers, and all that other crap we usually tell idealistic newcomers.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
User avatar
Goatboy
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2864
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:35 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Education?

Post by intel 4004 on Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:17 pm
([msg=51936]see Re: Education?[/msg])

Noooo, what I mean is which major I can choose to prepare for my Hacking career.
intel 4004
New User
New User
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:07 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Education?

Post by Goatboy on Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:54 pm
([msg=51937]see Re: Education?[/msg])

Clearly you don't understand my central point. Pretty much any computer-related field will help, but none are going to teach you completely. Obviously a major in network defense will teach you more about attacks than a hardware maintenance course will. What really matters is how much research, reading, and testing you do on your own.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
User avatar
Goatboy
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2864
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:35 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Education?

Post by pretentious on Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:23 am
([msg=51939]see Re: Education?[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:and all that other crap we usually tell idealistic newcomers.

:mrgreen:
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
User avatar
pretentious
Addict
Addict
 
Posts: 1203
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:48 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Education?

Post by fashizzlepop on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:43 am
([msg=51946]see Re: Education?[/msg])

intel 4004 wrote:Noooo, what I mean is which major I can choose to prepare for my Hacking career.
\What are you really expecting to be doing in your "hacking career?"
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
User avatar
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer
 
Posts: 2303
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 1:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Education?

Post by SIGMA1s1k on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:03 pm
([msg=51966]see Re: Education?[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:
intel 4004 wrote:Noooo, what I mean is which major I can choose to prepare for my Hacking career.
\What are you really expecting to be doing in your "hacking career?"

world domination
SIGMA1s1k
New User
New User
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:13 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Education?

Post by Orpheus 47k on Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:02 pm
([msg=51975]see Re: Education?[/msg])

world domination what a cliche if i ruled the world i would be bored because there would be nothing left to do.
hackers use backdoors
Orpheus 47k
New User
New User
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 6:56 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Education?

Post by sanddbox on Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:33 pm
([msg=51984]see Re: Education?[/msg])

Orpheus 47k wrote:world domination what a cliche if i ruled the world i would be bored because there would be nothing left to do.


What? If you ruled the world you would never run out of things to do.

...Besides, there's still the rest of the universe to conquer.
Image

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
User avatar
sanddbox
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2344
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Education?

Post by diamondf on Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:39 am
([msg=52199]see Re: Education?[/msg])

Alright, well, I'm no hacker, but if I had to wager a guess, I'd say, honestly, the majority of things that would likely seem exciting to you to hack are going to be primarily engineered and safeguarded by a league of professionals. Unless become one of the elite *nix programmers, your code-hacking will be limited to not-so-professional stuff (and even then, really, professional stuff is precisely that: professional). If you want to gain access to the "cool" stuff (*ahem* and I'm not suggesting you should), it would be just as important to be advanced of the art of psychological manipulation as it would be programming. Realistic hackers don't sit down at a terminal and hack it in a couple minutes because they've got magical computer powahs. If they bypass security of a system in a short amount of time, you can be pretty confident that it's because the system is running a known exploit, and they've got the program(s) that were previously built to exploit it.

A lot of "hacking" is just as much about tricking people out of information, or getting them to do something that causes you to gain access to an exploit you create. Or at least, that is my impression.
diamondf
New User
New User
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:37 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Next

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests