How did you become/how are you becoming a hacker?

General technological topics without their own forum go here

How did you become/how are you becoming a hacker?

Post by Jake-X on Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:27 pm
([msg=50723]see How did you become/how are you becoming a hacker?[/msg])

I thought we all might benefit from hearing each other's stories of how we became or are becoming hackers. In my case, I only just started training; I've completed the first six basic missions, a few of the JavaScripts, and that's it. I've dabbled in HTML and am learning C#. But, all in all, I'm off to a rough start, as it's hard to know where to start. That's why I created this thread. So you could share your mistakes, successes, etc. I hope to learn as much as I can from your histories.
Jake-X
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: How did you become/how are you becoming a hacker?

Post by thetan on Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:36 am
([msg=50758]see Re: How did you become/how are you becoming a hacker?[/msg])

hmmm i around 13 and i was playing this lightly web based mmorpg written by this guy in php and there was this character that had all stats 99999. All i did was ask 'aye bro, how the fuck' and he was like 'This nigga cant code, just force the stats on registration in the html form'. So i got my google game on and a day later i was rolling characters with 99999 max stats

That was my first spark. I then soon after discovered the website bright-shadows.net and became addicted to cryptography, steganography, logic and yup hacking.

But it was never the breaking into things that interested me. It was the mastery that always drew me in. I don't give a fuck about breaking into systems. I do give a fuck about the logic in manipulating systems to do things that they weren't originally designed to do, thats music to my fucking ears and has been a major driving force throughout my life.
"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jake-X on Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:46 pm
([msg=50772]see Re: How did you become/how are you becoming a hacker?[/msg])

What did you go about learning first? (Specifically.)
Jake-X
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by neuromanta on Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:09 pm
([msg=50775]see Re: How did you become/how are you becoming a hacker?[/msg])

Well, my first "serious" learning experience with computers was that when my father bougth a Commodore 64 when I was around 7-8 yr old. Being behind the iron curtain, he had to go to Vienna to be able to buy a computer, so he is a true hero in my eyes, he made it possible for me that I'm a software engineer now.
So my first serios learning experience was that when I found the user manual of GEOS, which is a GUI based operating system for C64. I played around with it, with it's applications, customizing them, based on what I learned from the user manual. Then on one summer, I also found a book about BASIC. That's the language in what one could operate in the command line interface on C64, and could also write simple programs. That's when I learned why the GOTO statement is considered harmful :D.
neuromanta
Poster
Poster

Post by thetan on Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:04 pm
([msg=50779]see Re: How did you become/how are you becoming a hacker?[/msg])

neuromanta wrote:Well, my first "serious" learning experience with computers was that when my father bougth a Commodore 64 when I was around 7-8 yr old. Being behind the iron curtain, he had to go to Vienna to be able to buy a computer, so he is a true hero in my eyes, he made it possible for me that I'm a software engineer now.

uhhhh!!! thats fucking bad ass. Much respect to your dad. I also just generally respect people who started out on C64 and older systems, just because they were on their shit before i was and the game was harder to get into back then.
"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jake-X on Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:43 am
([msg=50811]see Re: How did you become/how are you becoming a hacker?[/msg])

Wow, I feel stupid. I'm off to a slow start on Windows 7.
Jake-X
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by fashizzlepop on Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:49 am
([msg=50814]see Re: How did you become/how are you becoming a hacker?[/msg])

That's because Microsoft makes it easier for you to slack off.

Download and install Arch Linux. If you can manage to get it up and running KDE with everything working, you will learn so much more about what an OS really has to do.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by Jake-X on Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:00 am
([msg=50820]see Re: How did you become/how are you becoming a hacker?[/msg])

1) Yeah, I kinda hate Windows for it, but at the same time I've grown to depend on the overly-user-friendly environment.

2) My machine is kinda buggy as it is. What would that do to it?
Jake-X
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by fashizzlepop on Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:55 am
([msg=50828]see Re: How did you become/how are you becoming a hacker?[/msg])

It would render it useless to you until you took the time to learn. That's what I did and boy did I learn a lot.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by insomaniacal on Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:13 am
([msg=50837]see Re: How did you become/how are you becoming a hacker?[/msg])

Jake-X wrote:2) My machine is kinda buggy as it is. What would that do to it?

The great thing about Arch is that it's documentation tends to be good, like really good. Linux generally handles all hardware fairly well, the biggest problems you might face are your video card and your wireless adapter. There is generally good support for both; you can even use Windows drivers in a pinch for the wireless cards.

Most video cards are supported to the point where you'll get a display, though it may be slow, but it's a starting point until you manage to fix it up.

Arch Linux Beginners guide - Takes you step by step through installing it.

Arch's Hardware compatibility list Self explanatory. I have no experience with this list, or it's quality. However, I'm sure the quality is good at worst and excellent at best, if it follows in stead of the rest of the documentation.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Next

Return to General