The strange relationship between developers and crackers

General technological topics without their own forum go here

The strange relationship between developers and crackers

Post by webDOMinator on Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:15 am
([msg=29021]see The strange relationship between developers and crackers[/msg])

I am a developer. I have a program that I´ve been working on for four years. I only released it to the public this year, but about a month after I released it for sale, someone cracked it and released it on a site. I´m not going to get into the whole story to spare you guys from lots of reading. The person who told me about it was a user who was having problems whom I helped out a lot. He felt so bad for pirating it after I helped him that he told me all of the information, where he got it, who cracked it, etc.

It was at that point, I had a decision to make... was I going to freak out and go all stupid legal on the guy, or was I going to be humble about it... (after all... I use cracked software). I decided to take the path less traveled and I joined this guy´s website, and made friends with him. He took his nulled version down and I continued talking to him and working with him on security of my app. Then I put up a crack challenge on his site, and now I have a whole community of crackers taking crack challenges on my app. By the time I´m done with the crack challenges, I am going to have an app that´s very very hard to crack :)

Just wanted to share that... maybe as a developer, someone nulling out your software can be a great opportunity!
webDOMinator
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: The strange relationship between developers and crackers

Post by Goatboy on Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:13 pm
([msg=29033]see Re: The strange relationship between developers and crackers[/msg])

webDOMinator wrote:I am a developer. I have a program that I´ve been working on for four years. I only released it to the public this year, but about a month after I released it for sale, someone cracked it and released it on a site. I´m not going to get into the whole story to spare you guys from lots of reading. The person who told me about it was a user who was having problems whom I helped out a lot. He felt so bad for pirating it after I helped him that he told me all of the information, where he got it, who cracked it, etc.

It was at that point, I had a decision to make... was I going to freak out and go all stupid legal on the guy, or was I going to be humble about it... (after all... I use cracked software). I decided to take the path less traveled and I joined this guy´s website, and made friends with him. He took his nulled version down and I continued talking to him and working with him on security of my app. Then I put up a crack challenge on his site, and now I have a whole community of crackers taking crack challenges on my app. By the time I´m done with the crack challenges, I am going to have an app that´s very very hard to crack :)

Just wanted to share that... maybe as a developer, someone nulling out your software can be a great opportunity!

I watch this show on the History channel called Gangland (bear with me). On one episode, the guards talked about how they have a certain bond with this one prisoner who always challenges them. After they fight and he gets maced and goes down, they are practically friends, laughing and talking about how strong the stuff was. Almost like after a football game.

It seems like you guys have developed a similar relationship.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by TheGardener on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:04 am
([msg=29104]see Re: The strange relationship between developers and crackers[/msg])

Very cool. I couldn't think of a better way to turn the situation to be in your favor. Kudos! 8-)
"Knowledge is BOUND when one is compelled to tradition. Knowledge is ENDLESS when tradition is bound." - EP
TheGardener
New User
New User

Post by sanddbox on Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:08 am
([msg=29105]see Re: The strange relationship between developers and crackers[/msg])

Well I'm glad you're analogically macing the prisoners OP.

When you need your program secure, who better to enlist then crackers? ;)

Btw why does your name advertise a retarded program?

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Return to General