Idiot friends

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Idiot friends

Post by Goatboy on Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:33 pm
([msg=28965]see Idiot friends[/msg])

I need some advice.

I recently got into a discussion with a few friends about computers (they know next to nothing) and Linux came up. They asked what it was, and I explained it to them. By the end of the night, they all wanted to try it. I made 3 Live CDs of Ubuntu for them to try. The next day, they all wanted to use it permanently...

[Weeks go by where I teach them the basics and start them on "programming" in HTML]

Flash forward to just a few minutes ago. I log in to Facebook and see that all three of them have statuses similar to "I am teh l33t h4x0r" with about 20 comments each... *facepalm*

What should I do? I don't want to be a dick and refuse to teach them anymore. I need to make it very clear to them that they cannot go around advertising like that when they don't know shit about shit. Even if they DID know some stuff, they should still keep a low profile. Has anyone ever had to deal with this? If so, how did you/should I handle it?

For the record, the only thing I showed one of them that could even remotely be considered a hack was to edit some comments on my girlfriend's mom's website that never got any traffic anyways (I had her permission to pen test it). The next day, I found out that he tried to do that in order to pick up a chick, and she comes up to me excited and says "I know how to hack!" *yet another facepalm*
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Idiot friends

Post by godofcereal on Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:44 pm
([msg=28971]see Re: Idiot friends[/msg])

Just keep teaching them, be the bigger man and ignore it.
Or...
You can challenge them to a hack off, find some site or bring them here or somewhere like HBH.
Or...
Tell them they cant and offer to continue to teach.
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Post by chemonbyl on Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:51 pm
([msg=28975]see Re: Idiot friends[/msg])

want to teach me :) lol

i promise not to advertise my leetness aha
chemonbyl
New User
New User

Post by Younix on Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:13 pm
([msg=28994]see Re: Idiot friends[/msg])

Tell them how retarded they look to the mature computer-literate public. Explain to them that it is deprecated to go around "bragging" about their "skills." And if that doesn't work, throw a rock at them.
-- Normality is just a consensus of opinion.
-- Conformity is the elimination of variables..the absence of choice.
Younix
New User
New User

Post by LuxA0rta on Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:25 pm
([msg=28995]see Re: Idiot friends[/msg])

Younix wrote:Tell them how retarded they look to the mature computer-literate public. Explain to them that it is deprecated to go around "bragging" about their "skills." And if that doesn't work, throw a rock at them.

This is the correct answer...especially the rock part :)
LuxA0rta
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:31 am
([msg=29001]see Re: Idiot friends[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:they don't know shit about shit.

That is the correct answer. ;)
<offtopic> reminds me of poor old Tourrettes Guy</offtopic>
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by TheGardener on Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:15 am
([msg=29017]see Re: Idiot friends[/msg])

If I was in your shoes I would tell them you cannot help them anymore until they turn it down a little. In my own humble opinion humility is one of the biggest gifts a person can have... maybe that should have been your first lesson. Humility can bring clarity, pompousness and cockiness brings blindness through arrogance.

That's my Mr. Miyagi moment moment for the day 8-)
"Knowledge is BOUND when one is compelled to tradition. Knowledge is ENDLESS when tradition is bound." - EP
TheGardener
New User
New User

Post by webDOMinator on Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:09 am
([msg=29020]see Re: Idiot friends[/msg])

Just be humble about it. Realize they´re not idiots... but they´re like children when they first learn how to do something. They are ignorant to the whole world of it, and how big it is... hacking, general IT altogether... most likely they don´t even really know what hacking is on any deep level. In this way, they only have the power of children.. .and if you let a kid make you mad, is your anger their responsibility or yours?
webDOMinator
New User
New User

Post by Spectre557 on Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:26 pm
([msg=29040]see Re: Idiot friends[/msg])

If they think they're amazing 1337 h4ck3rZ, just show them that they're not.

Give them a big page full of C++ for a simple program and ask them kindly what it even basically means. Can they identify the language? Do they even understand that it's the source of a program?

Use your imagination, but basically I'd just recommend giving them an idea of how much they've yet to learn.
Current obsession: Minecraft
Spectre557
Poster
Poster

Return to General