Learn Security Online website

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Learn Security Online website

Post by Lorgon Jortle on Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:43 pm
([msg=25078]see Learn Security Online website[/msg])

Hey,
I found this site. I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not it is legit. http://www.learnsecurityonline.com
They offer individual classes, as well as four different packages, each successively advanced. Here is a link to the list for the packages: http://www.learnsecurityonline.com/inde ... itstart=10

Anyone have any ideas about this? They want $200 (average) for a package that gives you like 120 days of access to their material. I'm not so sure about it, but it sounds nifty.

Tell me what you think.

Lorgon Jortle
Lorgon Jortle
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Learn Security Online website

Post by awfa3 on Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:41 pm
([msg=25083]see Re: Learn Security Online website[/msg])

I am wondering about this too. It seems nice though in my opinion.
awfa3
New User
New User

Post by godofcereal on Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:26 am
([msg=25097]see Re: Learn Security Online website[/msg])

No advertising please.
If you want to learn about online security then go down to your local libary and take out a book, for free!
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Post by Nines on Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:28 am
([msg=25103]see Re: Learn Security Online website[/msg])

A security site that uses Joomla of all platforms, probably the most insecure piece of crap I've seen in ages.. I'll bet you could find an SQL injection vulnerability in that site in minutes. In the last 9 days there have been 5 SQL injection vulnerabilities and 2 Local file inclusion vulnerabilities found in Joomla and posted on milw0rm.

Donate the $200 to charity or something and get your head in a book. This site is a joke.
Nines
Poster
Poster

Post by fiftysixer on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:00 am
([msg=25107]see Re: Learn Security Online website[/msg])

Nines wrote:A security site that uses Joomla of all platforms, probably the most insecure piece of crap I've seen in ages.. I'll bet you could find an SQL injection vulnerability in that site in minutes. In the last 9 days there have been 5 SQL injection vulnerabilities and 2 Local file inclusion vulnerabilities found in Joomla and posted on milw0rm.

Joomla mods/addons/plugins/components != Joomla. The core CMS in itself is relatively secure. Using the add-ons is a great way to get hacked, though.

OP, even if it is legit, why waste your money on that? There's so many good, free, and entertaining sites and resources out there - first stop is google.com.
Big fan of Image
fiftysixer
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by IncandescentLight on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:11 am
([msg=25108]see Re: Learn Security Online website[/msg])

Some web hacking information you need is here: Hackthissite. Also, if you need to learn how to do certain exploits, you can Google them, all for free.
Speak softly and carry a big stick -Theodore Roosevelt

http://www.rhetoricalcatch.blogspot.com
IncandescentLight
Poster
Poster

Post by Nines on Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:16 pm
([msg=25135]see Re: Learn Security Online website[/msg])

fiftysixer wrote:
Nines wrote:Joomla mods/addons/plugins/components != Joomla. The core CMS in itself is relatively secure. Using the add-ons is a great way to get hacked, though.

They have had core modules blatantly vulnerable to SQL injection within the last 12 months... Not even tricky stuff, like <put your injection here in the URL bar> sort of vulnerable.. I couldn't trust a company that invests in such a crappy platform with a reputation for being insecure with teaching me about internet security. On a more related note.. Their prices are hideous.. I'll teach you SQL injection, XSS, etc for a hell of a lot less ;)
Nines
Poster
Poster

Post by Lorgon Jortle on Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:07 pm
([msg=25161]see Re: Learn Security Online website[/msg])

Alrighty. Thanks for all of the replies. I've found that Google is great when one knows what questions to ask. So I find out what out learn by doing the missions, and chatting in the IRC, then Google it to get a more in-depth understanding of it.

I'm on my way. :D

Lorgon Jorte
Lorgon Jortle
New User
New User

Return to General