Radio Stations

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Radio Stations

Post by Y2KRaveN on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:03 pm
([msg=19708]see Radio Stations[/msg])

Well, today, after I had finished my class Exams early, I was thinking to myself, "Wouldn't it be cool to have radio station?" I mean, you could broadcast what you want, when you want it. Spread some music, share ideas, practically anything. Well, I got home earlier and did some digging around google and came across some interesting stuff, as always.

First, you gotta have Winamp, any version is fine.
Second, you're gonna need an internet speed of about 256/64 kps or higher (which means dial-up users are out of luck).
Next, you need a domain, an updated one with an active IP address (Sure you can find free hosting on the Interwebz, of course).

Now, Your gonna have to download the Shoutcast Files:
Go to http://www.Shoutcast.com to get the files that you'll need.
After downloading these, installing both of them in any order.
Go to START>PROGRAM FILES>SHOUTcast DNS>EDIT SHOUTCAST DNS CONFIG.
Now, you're gonna configure it:
Go Down and where it says password: change (Change it to whatever you like, make sure you remember it).
The Portbase: change it to whatever port you want
Maxusers: (lets be realistic here, don't put in 10000, like NXS's radio station) your bandwidth has to be extremely good, if your cable, 50 user max is ok, ADSL should stay below 10 users, and T1 connections should do whatever tickles there fantasy.
EDIT>SAVE
Open winamp, RIGHT CLICK>OPTIONS>PREFRENCES>DSP EFFECT> and choose the NULLSOFT SHOUTCAST
Go to OUTPUT, and then click on Connection, Through the ADDRESS, type your address which you have done through
Code:
http://www.no-ip.com
PORT NUMBER, whatever u did in the EDIT.txt, and your password
Then go to Encoder, and choose your quality of your music or recordings. Go back to OUTPUT>OUTPUT CONFIG> YELLOW PAGES. This is your advertisemant informationm, do whatever you like there.
Now Connect. to check that your Radio os on-line go to http:// (your address that you added in the prefrence).

And That's it, you now have your own radio station which can be accessed via URL.
Vi veri universum vivus vici
Y2KRaveN
New User
New User

Location: On Your Computer, In Your Mind, At Your House Eating Your Dinner
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Radio Stations

Post by godofcereal on Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:33 am
([msg=19724]see Re: Radio Stations[/msg])

Thats pretty cool and seems so much easier than I ever thought it would be.
Nice work.
Im off, last year of school and all, I had something longer but char limit fucked that up. So yeah, had a good run here. Thanks for the memories. Thanks to the staff and users.

Best regards, your posting whore,
godofcereal

p.s. Defience, you the man ;)
godofcereal
Addict
Addict

Post by mischief on Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:35 am
([msg=19725]see Re: Radio Stations[/msg])

icecast and the EDcast plugin for winamp are better than shoutcast+shoutcast DSP.

:mrgreen:
The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.
--Buddha
mischief
Poster
Poster

Post by killath303 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:44 am
([msg=20582]see Re: Radio Stations[/msg])

Anybody know how much space on a web page this will take up? There are free site hosting services but have limits on capacity. One that i've found has a 100mb max capacity... So, hopefully thats enough >_>
killath303
New User
New User

Post by mischief on Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:10 am
([msg=20588]see Re: Radio Stations[/msg])

killath303 wrote:Anybody know how much space on a web page this will take up? There are free site hosting services but have limits on capacity. One that i've found has a 100mb max capacity... So, hopefully thats enough >_>

radio hosting like this requires that you are able to run the radio daemon, which you normally can't do with free hosting.

you could possibly write a simple relay in php, but it wouldn't be easy.
The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.
--Buddha
mischief
Poster
Poster

Post by DenyTheTruth on Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:39 am
([msg=20760]see Re: Radio Stations[/msg])

I used to have a little server box running in my home. I had shoutcast running off of that. I used my other computer to tie in to the server and talk over the music during my "shows".

Anyway, getting it to run on a server is a pain in the ass. Once you do, it takes up the amount of space that winamp + shoutcast would take up on your computer. Nothing huge. Then add every song you want. Each one of those clearly takes up space.

The main issue is bandwidth. At 128 sound quality I could only stream to about 4 people using cable before it started to lag. You can lower the quality but then it lowers the quality and who wants that?

Also, it streams whether people are listening or not. It doesn't care. I've eaten up well over 7 gigs of data in less than 24 hours. That's a lot of data streaming up. Most ISPs will hate you with a very large sharp pointy ban hammer. Yes, hate. Not hit. Hate. Back to reality... using a server is generally a good idea unless you want your internet to suck full-time.
~ Parruption in Coradise ~
DenyTheTruth
Poster
Poster

Post by Agent Pugsly on Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:43 pm
([msg=21003]see Re: Radio Stations[/msg])

I've been involved in internet radio for years. I'm actually considering starting a new network, as the ones I work with are stale (and full of cyber-rednecks).

I'll host it and pay the bills if ya'll wanna start whippin' together a station together. Sounds fun!
Agent Pugsly
New User
New User

Return to General