Mr. Robot

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Mr. Robot

Post by tremor77 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:48 am
([msg=89038]see Mr. Robot[/msg])

I haven't seen any of the episodes but my facebook feed for DEFCON mentioned it a few weeks ago, and wired and buzzfeed have both dropped articles on it calling it a 'decently done' hacker based show. (when compared to other hacker productions in TV and movies, that bar is pretty low...

So, has anyone seen Mr. Robot? Thoughts, reactions, etc....
tremor77
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Mr. Robot

Post by Iblist on Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:53 pm
([msg=89039]see Re: Mr. Robot[/msg])

I saw the first episode, It's actually pretty good.

The story revolves around this (I think) mildly autistic, highly anti-social hacker working at a tech security firm. By day he protects the big corporations he hates, by night he's the internet equivalent of batman, haxing child pron distributors and what not. Then, one night, the security firm's number one client E(vil)-co (think every major tech mogul wrapped into a giant evil package) gets durr dossed, and it's up to our hero to put a stop to it. Technical wizardry ensues, and our hero gets wrapped up in a plot to hack all teh things and angry fuck Evil Co into the ground.

My description probably isn't the best, but it is certainly worth the watch.
Those who create and rely upon brilliant and complex creations are often destroyed by some idiot plugging an infected usb stick somewhere they shouldn't have.
Iblist
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by ghost107 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:28 pm
([msg=89040]see Re: Mr. Robot[/msg])

quotes from episode 4 wrote:Spoiler:
“Hollywood hacker bullshit. I’ve been in the game 27 years, and not once have I ever come across an animated singing virus.”
ghost107
Poster
Poster

Post by tremor77 on Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:16 pm
([msg=89044]see Re: Mr. Robot[/msg])

Iblist wrote:The story revolves around this (I think) mildly autistic, highly anti-social hacker working at a tech security firm. By day he protects the big corporations he hates, by night he's the internet equivalent of batman, haxing child pron distributors and what not. Then, one night, the security firm's number one client E(vil)-co (think every major tech mogul wrapped into a giant evil package) gets durr dossed, and it's up to our hero to put a stop to it. Technical wizardry ensues, and our hero gets wrapped up in a plot to hack all teh things and angry fuck Evil Co into the ground.

I feel like I should sue for stealing my actual life story. Lol, anyway are the actual hacks realistic, is it technically sound? And, if so how do they make that interesting to non-computer literate types without 3D animated wormhole visuals on the screen? :geek:

@ghost107: I've actually made animated singing virii - they didn't replicate well, was limited in scope and didn't actually do any damage other than freeze a desktop, and were easily cleaned up, but it was piss yourself funny in a college computer lab when they all go off at the same time and the entire campus freaks out about being under a hacker attack... really hard though not to tell anyone it was you afterward to get the credz.
tremor77
Addict
Addict

Post by v_freak on Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:12 am
([msg=89045]see Re: Mr. Robot[/msg])

I'm up to date with the show, and while I'm not some computer knowledge god, it definetly is trying to stay routed in reality.

Now, it is a show, and therefore is somewhat glorified. I mean, while people take down evil sites sites, no one walks into the store its being fronted from and confronts the owner while waiting for the PD to show up. Thats being played up, but they need in order to get money from non-hacker viewers.

But when it comes to the tech in the show? They actually have a security guy who advises them on everything, and have admited things being cut because he said it was not plausible. For the time being, real hacking concepts are actually winning out over the script, which is neat. They even said the code on the screens is legit, though I haven't paused and really looked.

Is it a little over-the-top with it's stereotypes and drama? Yes.

Does that make it even more enjoyable since its a drama that has hacking that doesn't turn the tech savy's stomache with bullshit 3D animated viruses and face-smashing keyboarding? Big yes.

I will be watching.
Program your brain, or someone will do it for you.
v_freak
New User
New User

Post by Turn on Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:49 am
([msg=89048]see Re: Mr. Robot[/msg])

I hear his has relevance to the show:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/365450
Social Engineering:
<cen> .lua print ('Tsyn 9.47.-u 3 12 5')
* slickery has quit (User has been banned from HackThisSite (Attempting to use a SpyBot))
* cen has quit (User has been banned from HackThisSite (Attempting to use a SpyBot))
Turn
Poster
Poster

Post by Iblist on Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:41 pm
([msg=89049]see Re: Mr. Robot[/msg])

tremor77 wrote:
Iblist wrote:The story revolves around this (I think) mildly autistic, highly anti-social hacker working at a tech security firm. By day he protects the big corporations he hates, by night he's the internet equivalent of batman, haxing child pron distributors and what not. Then, one night, the security firm's number one client E(vil)-co (think every major tech mogul wrapped into a giant evil package) gets durr dossed, and it's up to our hero to put a stop to it. Technical wizardry ensues, and our hero gets wrapped up in a plot to hack all teh things and angry fuck Evil Co into the ground.

I feel like I should sue for stealing my actual life story. Lol, anyway are the actual hacks realistic, is it technically sound? And, if so how do they make that interesting to non-computer literate types without 3D animated wormhole visuals on the screen? :geek:

@ghost107: I've actually made animated singing virii - they didn't replicate well, was limited in scope and didn't actually do any damage other than freeze a desktop, and were easily cleaned up, but it was piss yourself funny in a college computer lab when they all go off at the same time and the entire campus freaks out about being under a hacker attack... really hard though not to tell anyone it was you afterward to get the credz.

The hacks are pretty realistic. They don't show a lot of it, and what they do show is the protagonist typing commands into a terminal. For example, the protagonist hacks some guys facebook account by calling him, pretending to be from his bank, and asks him for the answers to his security questions. (What's your dog's name, etc) He then plugs that all into a wordlist and uses a dictionary attack to guess the password.
Those who create and rely upon brilliant and complex creations are often destroyed by some idiot plugging an infected usb stick somewhere they shouldn't have.
Iblist
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by mShred on Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:50 pm
([msg=89055]see Re: Mr. Robot[/msg])

v_freak wrote:while I'm not some computer knowledge god, it definetly is trying to stay routed in reality.

Ha.
mShred
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by anarchy420x on Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:17 pm
([msg=89056]see Re: Mr. Robot[/msg])

You watched it yet, mShred? How about you tremor?
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by v_freak on Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:11 pm
([msg=89057]see Re: Mr. Robot[/msg])

mShred wrote:
v_freak wrote:while I'm not some computer knowledge god, it definetly is trying to stay routed in reality.

Ha.

At first I was ashamed of my mistake. But that actually reads very nicely.
Program your brain, or someone will do it for you.
v_freak
New User
New User

Next

Return to General