How to determine hash encoding

General technological topics without their own forum go here

How to determine hash encoding

Post by groros2 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:24 pm
([msg=88609]see How to determine hash encoding[/msg])

Hi all,

This is my first post on these forums so i apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong area.

Anyway I was wondering how you determine what type of hash encoding is being used if you say find a password that is encrypted for example:

7e456abc3b7e4fc96bae0482e34bbbb8

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!
groros2
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: How to determine hash encoding

Post by NightQuest on Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:41 pm
([msg=88610]see Re: How to determine hash encoding[/msg])

Usually I'd reference something like this to see which length matches. In this case, it's 128-bit, so it's likely one of: MD2, MD4, MD5, RIPEMD, RIPEMD-128, Snefru.

Once I've narrowed it down, I'd see if there's anything in a file or something else that may key me in to its type; if nothing else, consider the age of the source - what was the most popular hashing type when it was made?
NightQuest
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How to determine hash encoding

Post by groros2 on Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:31 pm
([msg=88626]see Re: How to determine hash encoding[/msg])

NightQuest wrote:Usually I'd reference something like this to see which length matches. In this case, it's 128-bit, so it's likely one of: MD2, MD4, MD5, RIPEMD, RIPEMD-128, Snefru.

Once I've narrowed it down, I'd see if there's anything in a file or something else that may key me in to its type; if nothing else, consider the age of the source - what was the most popular hashing type when it was made?

Thanks for the link that was really helpful as was thinking in relation to the age of the source good thinking :)
groros2
New User
New User

Return to General