Am I at a bad age to learn hacking?

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Am I at a bad age to learn hacking?

Post by ghostheadx2 on Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:40 pm
([msg=87156]see Am I at a bad age to learn hacking?[/msg])

I'm 20, but I came onto this site several months ago at the age of 19. I'm recently getting into programming after starting over dozens of times when I was younger. I'm wondering if I'm old to learn hacking/computers etc. if my goal is to catchup to some of the people who started slightly younger, who are my age. I'm in my first year of college.

My goal is to become basically a hacker type person, so is that not achievable and is it a realistic goal? I've always been into computers.

Thanks.

Best,

ghostheadx2
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Am I at a bad age to learn hacking?

Post by cyberdrain on Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:01 pm
([msg=87157]see Re: Am I at a bad age to learn hacking?[/msg])

I've seen people fulfil their dreams of being a doctor at over the age of 60, I doubt you're too old. That said, the younger you start, the easier you can learn and the easier it is for your brain to adapt to the knowledge. So, it depends what you want to do. I'd say you're not too old, but that's just me.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by Iblist on Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:19 pm
([msg=87159]see Re: Am I at a bad age to learn hacking?[/msg])

You're never too old to start learning! Just hop to it and have fun with it.
Those who create and rely upon brilliant and complex creations are often destroyed by some idiot plugging an infected usb stick somewhere they shouldn't have.
Iblist
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by pretentious on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:02 am
([msg=87162]see Re: Am I at a bad age to learn hacking?[/msg])

knowledge doesn't discriminate. Put in your 10,000 hours and you'll get wherever you want to go.
I wont really go into it, just a gut feeling, but I think there are also side effects to mastering something at a young age. Both sides of a coin or whatever

-- Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:39 pm --

I just realized who posted this, I'll add that one should focus on the process rather than the outcome. Play with things and If it doesn't work, find out why it doesn't work and gain better insights to the nature and limitations of the technologies that you're using. Once you know what you're dealing with, things will fall into place.
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

Post by Wololo on Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:48 am
([msg=87163]see Re: Am I at a bad age to learn hacking?[/msg])

ghostheadx2 wrote:I'm 20, but I came onto this site several months ago at the age of 19. I'm recently getting into programming after starting over dozens of times when I was younger. I'm wondering if I'm old to learn hacking/computers etc. if my goal is to catchup to some of the people who started slightly younger, who are my age. I'm in my first year of college.

My goal is to become basically a hacker type person, so is that not achievable and is it a realistic goal? I've always been into computers.

Thanks.

Best,

ghostheadx2

Bro, thats a really silly question. Just make realistic short term goals. Hacking is a very broad subject, first you must make out for yourself what exactly you want to learn first, be it app security, web security...whatever. My tactic when learning a new subject is just watching everything i can find about it on youtube, at first somethings might be hard to understand, but believe me, if you watch and read enough about a subject you will be surprised how fast you "mastered" it. Age is not relevant, and 20 is very young (VERY YOUNG!!!!!). Just try to see learning as gaining experience and leveling up.
Wololo
New User
New User

Post by Michee on Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:12 pm
([msg=87166]see Re: Am I at a bad age to learn hacking?[/msg])

Age doesn't matter. I'm 17 and I'm trying to learn. If you really want to learn then age wouldn't matter
Michee
New User
New User

Post by Wololo on Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:43 am
([msg=87181]see Re: Am I at a bad age to learn hacking?[/msg])

Btw, if you have questions, just fire away, there are a ton of experienced people on this board (atleast that is my impression :D).

I think getting into pentesting web applications is probably the easiest to learn first.
You should install kali linux (just download virtualbox and load up the kali linux image file).
Most pentesters use a tool like burp suite as their main testing tool to intercept and modify requests...requests are basically how you communicate with a website, by modifying things in the request that normal web users normally dont have access to you can do some really funny things.

For example, i was testing this website where administrators could make "channels", but normal users couldnt. When i clicked on a channel burp suite captured the GET request, i changed this to a PUT request instead and was able to overwrite channels (i did have to add some json data, but based on the errors returned i was able to work this out easily), while this really wasnt allowed for normal users. Its really not that hard. Also, using burp suite you can blaze through many of the challenges here on hackthissite...which would otherwise be really difficult without extensive web development knowledge.
I see alot of people talking about learning programming and stuff to get into hacking, but to get started with pentesting web apps this is really not necessary...just learn your hacking tools first and ask questions when you cant figure something out :).
Wololo
New User
New User

Post by ZeroKusel on Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:07 pm
([msg=87218]see Re: Am I at a bad age to learn hacking?[/msg])

im just starting myself and im twice your age....from my experience with picking up hobbies later in life it takes about 2months to have an idea of the scope of things and about 2 years to really become efficient... for example:

I picked up chess. I played some when I was younger but just for fun. My rating was about 1200 which is pretty bad. After 2 years of real study and playing every day I was up to my peak of 2100 online. I have since stopped studying and play around an 1800 level. 2100 is pretty impressive in my opinion...for 2 years. So that is how I view hacking...

Im personally trying to master one language which I have chosen Python. In 2 years I want to be a Python programmer. I mostly want to make software but the hacking side certainly appeals to me too. Once im bored with Python and the programming aspects of it ill pick up a second language...probably something html, ruby or something like that. From there ill push into hacking stuff more with a focus on using Python.

So will I ever be as good as some of the hackers on here? Probably not...but if I can become an expert at Python then I could be one of the better people on here in just Python, and ill be happy to know a little bit about everything else and learn as I go.

One other thing I want to add...the beauty about computers and tech is its always becoming new. If we went back in time 30 years wed all be programming in basic and fortran and other crap that is rarely used today. So another avenue of approach could be to study programming to learn the concepts then once some new language comes out...be the go to guy in that language.

And from some of the "hacking" stuff i've seen in kali...it looks like so much of the hard work is done already for you...which im not cool with..I want to make my own stuff..but you can always fall back on others peoples work to use and learn from.
ZeroKusel
New User
New User

Post by ghostheadx2 on Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:24 am
([msg=87220]see Re: Am I at a bad age to learn hacking?[/msg])

Thanks to the last guy. And I also kind of feel reassured because of Wololo's comment about my age of hacking. So, if everyone agrees with that then I have no reason to be worried in the first place. Lol. Anyways, it's never too late to learn but if Wololo's right, which almost surprizes me then I probably have a good chance of being pretty fucking good anyways... Not that I'll ever be Woz but...

That feels reassuring. Lol.

:D
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Post by limdis on Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:30 pm
([msg=87258]see Re: Am I at a bad age to learn hacking?[/msg])

ghostheadx2 wrote:because of Wololo's comment

<limdis> what? no way is this guy's name really wololo?
hahahahahahaha!!!!

OP, welcome to HTS. You'll be just fine. Hacking is just like any other skill. You get out what you put in. Don't be afraid to try things and never stop asking questions. My advice is find a particular area you find interesting and jump into it (example: password cracking, programming, networking, website exploitation, etc). But there is a lot out there and NOBODY knows it all! We are all still learning. If you need any pointers on anything just ask. :geek:
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Next

Return to General