Noob asks for advice

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Noob asks for advice

Post by Gentarou on Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:45 pm
([msg=79633]see Noob asks for advice[/msg])

Hi everybody.
I know that the internet (even this forum) is full of guides for ones like me who intend to get started with hacking, and I've already read through them;I already know that I will need lots of time and patience, and I'm not going to ask someone to teach me everything (actually I do want to learn by myself).
BUT
My goal is to understand everything about how this world works, so I don't think I should learn much only about a specific field (at least for now).
By doing the resarch us noobs are supposed to do, I found out there are tons of things to study, but I don't know which ones are really necessary to build a basic knowledge.
For instance, I'm actually learning HTML on W3schools.com, as first thing. But the site also offers tutorials to learn CSS, ASP, Javascript, PHP, SQL (I don't even know what I'm writing), which are allo things regarding web pages I guess. Do you advise me to study those languages, or should I (for example) just learn HTML and then skip to another subject, let's say, programming languages? What are the priorities?

As said before, I won't ask for someone to teach me. But it seems I need someone to show me the right direction, like "Ok, you want to start? Go learning A, B, C in this order and practise them by doing 1, 2,3, so you have the basis. Then take up D, E, F..." and so on. I believe I'm not asking much.

So, thanks for the attention, and forgive me for the bad english, I'm not a native speaker.
Anyway, I really like this site. Bye!
Gentarou
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Noob asks for advice

Post by fashizzlepop on Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:32 pm
([msg=79637]see Re: Noob asks for advice[/msg])

Learn HTML, JavaScript, PHP + MySQL and then make a website with simple features. For example: make a simple blog. Then, learn about SQL injection and other common exploits (think OWASP top 10). Code more features onto your site that are vulnerable to these top 10, then fix them, then try and attack them again.

Last but not least, read. Read a lot. Follow lots of security people on twitter, start following and reading blogs, and keep up with stuff at places like r/netsec, etc.

CTF competitions will also teach you a lot.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by Gentarou on Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:50 pm
([msg=79639]see Re: Noob asks for advice[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:Learn HTML, JavaScript, PHP + MySQL and then make a website with simple features. For example: make a simple blog. Then, learn about SQL injection and other common exploits (think OWASP top 10). Code more features onto your site that are vulnerable to these top 10, then fix them, then try and attack them again.

Therefore I shouldn't mind about programming?

fashizzlepop wrote:Last but not least, read. Read a lot. Follow lots of security people on twitter, start following and reading blogs, and keep up with stuff at places like r/netsec, etc.

Read what, for example?

Also, i forgot to ask, do I actually have to install Linux? Thank you very much
Gentarou
New User
New User

Post by Tentra on Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:42 pm
([msg=79641]see Re: Noob asks for advice[/msg])

Gentarou wrote:
fashizzlepop wrote:Learn HTML, JavaScript, PHP + MySQL and then make a website with simple features. For example: make a simple blog. Then, learn about SQL injection and other common exploits (think OWASP top 10). Code more features onto your site that are vulnerable to these top 10, then fix them, then try and attack them again.

I think you misunderstood, he said that YOU SHOULD learn to program.

Gentarou wrote:For instance, I'm actually learning HTML on W3schools.com, as first thing. But the site also offers tutorials to learn CSS, ASP, Javascript, PHP, SQL (I don't even know what I'm writing), which are allo things regarding web pages I guess. Do you advise me to study those languages, or should I (for example) just learn HTML and then skip to another subject, let's say, programming languages? What are the priorities?

As said before, I won't ask for someone to teach me. But it seems I need someone to show me the right direction, like "Ok, you want to start? Go learning A, B, C in this order and practise them by doing 1, 2,3, so you have the basis. Then take up D, E, F..." and so on. I believe I'm not asking much.

I agree with what fashizzlepop said. I see many "noobs" come into these forums and start talking about how they are going to study this and study that and study this other thing later. Reading and studying is great, but you don't learn how to pick a lock by reading lock schematics. It definitely helps, but hands on experience is far more useful in my opinion.

So instead of worrying about what to study and when to study it, think about something that you think is cool, and try to do it. You'll hit some sticking point on a topic because you don't understand it, so learn it, then keep progressing to what you want to do. It's also very likely that while learning about something, you'll decide on a different end goal and change direction.

Essentially, quit trying to make some sort of plan, and just learn whatever you need to in order to do what you are trying to do.

The only priority is making yourself happy by learning whatever you want to learn, there is no correct order.
Tentra
Poster
Poster

Post by Gentarou on Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:56 pm
([msg=79642]see Re: Noob asks for advice[/msg])

Tentra wrote:
I agree with what fashizzlepop said. I see many "noobs" come into these forums and start talking about how they are going to study this and study that and study this other thing later. Reading and studying is great, but you don't learn how to pick a lock by reading lock schematics. It definitely helps, but hands on experience is far more useful in my opinion.

This is obvious, but I guess someone will learn much faster if he reads the theory before trying the pratice...right? I mean, I'm having fun with the "mission" on this site, and I've solved the first 4, but I wouldn't be so easy if I didn't know what I am actually doing.

Tentra wrote:Essentially, quit trying to make some sort of plan, and just learn whatever you need to in order to do what you are trying to do.
The only priority is making yourself happy by learning whatever you want to learn, there is no correct order.

I certainly hope so :D
Gentarou
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:59 pm
([msg=79646]see Re: Noob asks for advice[/msg])

Gentarou wrote:

JavaScript and PHP are both programming languages. I suggest you code your own site to practice on.

fashizzlepop wrote:Last but not least, read. Read a lot. Follow lots of security people on twitter, start following and reading blogs, and keep up with stuff at places like r/netsec, etc.

Read what, for example?

I suggested r/netsec. Also, we have lots of articles and forum threads. Start reading them. When you come across something you don't understand go to wikipedia and read the page on it. If there's something you don't understand in that wikipedia page, google it.
Also, i forgot to ask, do I actually have to install Linux? Thank you very much

Linux is an operating system. It's really easy to use if you're going to be getting into programming. Whether or not you use it is up to you.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by Gentarou on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:09 pm
([msg=79657]see Re: Noob asks for advice[/msg])

Great :) thank you!
Gentarou
New User
New User

Return to General