Contact

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Re: Contact

Post by mShred on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:17 am
([msg=77994]see Re: Contact[/msg])

Bro, bad timing on javascript 3. I just patched it along with js 6... Just sayin. Shit is geting done though, and it is transparent. But that's just the game we play and have always played.
As for the admin shiz, PM me man. Or just on SS or something. You have numerous ways of contacting me. I've no idea what happened so I'd like to straighten shit out.
mShred
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by Kage on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:51 am
([msg=77996]see Re: Contact[/msg])

-Ninjex- wrote:No new missions are being added, and I must rely on people from the community to post new challenges from time to time

If someone wants to code new missions, and someone wants to integrate them with HTS, then we'd have new ones. But the ones that people develop outside of HTS, they never seem willing to actually work with us to integrate them. Then they bitch and shit their pants over the fact we won't re-code their shit for them to work with our system. But please, do blame us for not bending over backwards and doing more work that we don't have people willing to do.

Some of the old missions (namely JavaScript 3) can be down, and seems like nothing is being done about it.

In our next Production deployment, JS3 should be fixed.

I haven't seen one new feature, albeit I've heard much talk of development.

Unless you have money to coerce people with, every single person here does work on a voluntary basis. Neither I nor anyone can force someone to write code for HTS. But let me guess, you expect me to do everything myself, including coding everything you ask, right? Lemme get right on that, massa'.

I'm sick of hearing that the population comes and goes, and that development is on the way.

Then maybe you should've taken me up on my offer the five fucking times I asked you to work with us. You blew me off repeatedly, or never met up with me when I asked you to, and never did anything I requested of you, so if you wanna blame someone for no development being on its way, you're part of the problem. Good job.

Yeah, I am sure the development team is working on 'hts v5'

We tried, but failed. The main reason is people stop working on it as an HTS project and start making it their "I'm cool, look at me!" show-off. Our last iteration of v5 grew to FIVE databases. Five! As I said, I cannot force anyone to do good for HTS. I can only try to direct it in that course, but if people keep fucking off in their own direction and refuse to stay on course, then nothing is going to get one, obviously.

We have a new round of developers now that are actually fantastically skilled, but the problem is coordinating around their life schedules. Again: Unpaid volunteers. I can't make them abandon their jobs and families.

but when no one (regular users like myself) in the population can see any actual work, and waiting on the new release seems infinite in time, I lose patience and obtain a sense of disbelief.

Y'know, we did try, many times, to be more transparent: Github, Redmine, Staff Blogs, on and on. Show me the marvelous response we received, and all the fucks everyone gave. Because I can't really find a single fuck given. There were a couple here and there in the beginning, but then.. nothing. Not one fuck.

In short, they say development is under way; I see no results, I as well as other users want at least some results.

If you wanna see results, then interact with us when we try to interact with you. If we're being transparent and no one really reciprocates interest, then why bother being transparent? It just wastes our time and energy when no one seemingly cares about our efforts.

However, when I attempt to do nothing but help people in any way that I can, and the only thing I receive in return is an insult, from one of the top staff members, it draws the line.

Funny, because I did try, as mentioned earlier, multiple times to work with you, but you never did anything asked of you. And please, do show me this 'line drawing' insult? Who insulted you?

an Admin that lost 800,000 users in the last few years.

Please, do show me where you gained this statistic. I'll wait patiently while you grep our database and logs. Oh wait, you don't have those, and I do, and you're fucking wrong. We've gained a few hundred thousand users in the past few years. Here, allow me to back myself up with actual data, unlike what you did:

Code: Select all
mysql> select count(id) from members where joined > 1262325600;
+-----------+
| count(id) |
+-----------+
|    482360 |
+-----------+

That timestamp is January 1st, 2010, within "the last few years," I'd say. So, hmm.. How is gaining 482,000 users construed as losing 800,000? Please, show me your fucking math.

It's a possibility that I will come back when v5 is released, if it ever is.

Don't bother, you done burned your bridge back, son. Make like a tree and G-T-Fuck-O.
~ Kage ~

HackThisSite Manager
Kage
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by -Ninjex- on Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:27 am
([msg=77997]see Re: Contact[/msg])

Kage wrote:Then maybe you should've taken me up on my offer the five fucking times I asked you to work with us. You blew me off repeatedly, or never met up with me when I asked you to, and never did anything I requested of you, so if you wanna blame someone for no development being on its way, you're part of the problem. Good job.

I was asked 2 times. Once in #coffeesh0p when you said: "Ninjex, when are you going to work for us?" I replied with: "Now, what do I have to do?" and I received no response. The second time was a relayed message from mele -> cobra2 -> me, asking for people to join you in a session on Sunday, which I took part in. What did I do? I showed up, and got told to attempt to understand the new C5 CMS implementation, because 'If Ninjex understands it anyone can'; after this I was pretty much there to kick rocks and play with myself, because no one wanted anything to fucking do with me.

Kage wrote:Please, do show me where you gained this statistic. I'll wait patiently while you grep our database and logs. Oh wait, you don't have those, and I do, and you're fucking wrong. We've gained a few hundred thousand users in the past few years. Here, allow me to back myself up with actual data, unlike what you did:

Code: Select all
mysql> select count(id) from members where joined > 1262325600;
+-----------+
| count(id) |
+-----------+
|    482360 |
+-----------+

That timestamp is January 1st, 2010, within "the last few years," I'd say. So, hmm.. How is gaining 482,000 users construed as losing 800,000? Please, show me your fucking math.

Try looking at the logs for the amount of users that have logged in since this time frame. Clearly no one can delete their account here by default and new users come, but how many actually care to stay past the first day? So let me rephrase, you lost 800,000 users which logged in, in the last few years. I recall this from #codeday via one of you admins.

Kage wrote:Don't bother, you done burned your bridge back, son. Make like a tree and G-T-Fuck-O.

:D
For those that know
K: 0x2CD8D4F9
-Ninjex-

Post by hellow533 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:03 am
([msg=77998]see Re: Contact[/msg])

-Ninjex- wrote:wall of text

I understand how you feel, IRC mission 3 (I think it's 3 anyway) has been down since I joined. 4 years ago.
There isn't any development being done to HTS, I don't care who tells you what. They don't have the resources nor the programmers who will actually sit down and add content to this site. Why should they? It's not like they're getting paid.
I've been asked countless times over the years for what new content could be added, and I always say the same thing. Then it's never taken in to actual consideration and it falls in to the pits of HTS hell where it will never actually be seen.

As for an HTS mod trolling or saying something to you, that's no reason for you to leave. You can't let people get to you, and it's not worth leaving because of one person, mod or not, saying stupid shit because they had a bad day or want to be a grouchy baby.

-- Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:59 pm --

Kage wrote:
-Ninjex- wrote:No new missions are being added, and I must rely on people from the community to post new challenges from time to time

Don't bother, you done burned your bridge back, son. Make like a tree and G-T-Fuck-O.

I'm not going through all of this to find where I want to quote.

On the part of gained users, you have to remember that 90% or more of those are people making one or two posts on the forums asking us to hack something for them, getting stressed, and leaving. This website can be a first come for education, on par with W3 schools in our penetration loving world. Unfortunately, the community here (which has kind of bent me to feel the same, which is wrong of me) believes you should go google your questions and go to other websites to learn how to do our missions. If I actually knew the answers and processes to all the missions HTS has to offer, I would be more than happy to make a step by step guide to not only how to do it, but why it happens that way. Because most of our traffic is people wanting something done for them or someone wanting to learn. I feel that when we turn away people who are trying to learn, we're only causing negative effects within the HTS community.

As you said before however, it would be volunteer work, and it would take forever of me picking at it because I just can't find the time, and neither can others.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Amazingred on Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:19 am
([msg=77999]see Re: Contact[/msg])

Just throwing this out there but I couldn't care less about updates, new stuff and overhauls on the site being more prominent. All that means is right after it happens we get a huge swell of tools wanting to fastrack hacking into their ex girlfriends cell phones, the computers at their work and I'll get about thirty people ask me to show them how to hack facebook......then they'll all leave and its back to us again....which is the way i like it as far as the user base goes. I hate new people.

There are several things I think that would get the users around here more involved and active but this isn't the place to state them. and lastly, I'll be happy to help with some of the coding if its needed. Not that it''s much of a benifit since i'm shit at web dev but I can appcode with the best of them.

anyway Sorry to get off topic....
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Amazingred
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by DrRoach on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:34 pm
([msg=78004]see Re: Contact[/msg])

I'm sorry to hear that you're leaving Ninjex, I'll never forget in my first few weeks on this site even though I was a utter n00b and didn't have a clue what I was doing, you still tried to offer me advice and push me in the right direction. Even over the months whenever I have needed help you have always been giving advice and I feel like with this site, it's biggest asset is the great community that it has. You may not know this but I have always pushed myself to try and be worthy of the great members on this site who, even though I don't know them, I have great admiration for them.

On another note I am more than happy to try and help wherever I can in the development of this site.

Goodbye Ninjex, hopefully it's not for long.
DrRoach
Poster
Poster

Post by fashizzlepop on Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:39 pm
([msg=78007]see Re: Contact[/msg])

hellow533 wrote:They don't have the resources nor the programmers who will actually sit down and add content to this site. Why should they? It's not like they're getting paid.
I've been asked countless times over the years for what new content could be added, and I always say the same thing. Then it's never taken in to actual consideration and it falls in to the pits of HTS hell where it will never actually be seen.

Everything is always taken into consideration. Just nothing new will be added until we have the platform to add it.

We *do* have programmers who are willing to sit down and add content. We are doing that. It's just a slow process since we all have jobs, family, etc.

If you think the devs/admins don't care, you're actively pulling the metaphorical wool over your eyes.

In response to this post we are planning on actively updating the community with dev news. Hopefully a weekly occurrence no matter how bland or a lack of progress that week.

-- Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:01 pm --

-Ninjex- wrote:The second time was a relayed message from mele -> cobra2 -> me, asking for people to join you in a session on Sunday, which I took part in. What did I do? I showed up, and got told to attempt to understand the new C5 CMS implementation, because 'If Ninjex understands it anyone can'; after this I was pretty much there to kick rocks and play with myself, because no one wanted anything to fucking do with me.

So, honestly, did you expect a personalized tutorial of how to make an Alexa top 100,000 in Concrete5? Did you manage to install your own working copy of C5 on your dev machine? Did you manage to make a few pages or even a basic forum? No?

Did you expect us to spend the entire day using you to build the entire v5 from scratch? Well, considering you've never used C5 before I don't think you could do very much on Day 0.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by hellow533 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:42 pm
([msg=78024]see Re: Contact[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:
hellow533 wrote:They don't have the resources nor the programmers who will actually sit down and add content to this site. Why should they? It's not like they're getting paid.

Everything is always taken into consideration. Just nothing new will be added until we have the platform to add it.

We *do* have programmers who are willing to sit down and add content. We are doing that. It's just a slow process since we all have jobs, family, etc.

I never said devs/admins didn't care, they just don't have time.

Honestly, I would love to get everyone together and write mission guides for all the missions, explaining not just how to do them, but how it happens. It doesn't even need to be directly written for the mission, but instead a guide which covers all areas a mission has, allowing you to use trial and error on your own to find out what works/doesn't work. You could have it available, if someone wants to use it, right in the mission start area.

Example, basic 1.
(Educational assistance button)
(opened up page/word file)
"Basic one asks for you to simply view the source. In most browsers, you should be able to right click for an option on viewing the page source. Look through this for comments not generally seen on the webpage."

The point isn't to give spoilers as much as to give educational assistance, though I probably didn't give a very good example there. Like for realistic one, instead of spoilers simply give a tutorial/educational input on html editing. I think this will allow for new users to read up and learn, and then have the ability to try it out for themselves. This would be much more in-depth than websites such as w3 schools as well, and I want to believe it would increase the amount of time new users stay, as well as increased interaction within the missions and the community in general. If someone doesn't understand something, that's fine, they can ask on the forums about what exactly they don't understand, allowing us to help them. Over time, you could have a comment box where someone could suggest adding something to the tutorials/educational assistance, to further make things better and easier to understand.

And it could all be done with word files, suggestion boxes/subforum, and someone with a few hours on their hands (for most missions anyway). I think it would increase moral for education around here as well. Granted it would change the idea of spoilers around here, because having a high amount of points would simply show you went far into your educational experience with Hackthissite.

If enough people agree on this idea, why don't we open up an area on the forums for us to start writing tutorials, and we can start changing or adding ideas to help with the missions. I want to believe that HTS can become a new type of community, helping with education instead of saying "check the guides/google". Honestly, if we all put some effort in to it this could be done in months. If it takes longer that's fine, we'll just give assistance to what we have assistance for until new content in added. I think focus on something like this would be the change this community has been wanting for a long time.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Goatboy on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:51 pm
([msg=78025]see Re: Contact[/msg])

Post that in the right area and it'll get more attention.

As for Ninjex I say leave him alone. If he wants to go, let him go.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by fashizzlepop on Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:04 am
([msg=78028]see Re: Contact[/msg])

hellow533 wrote:If enough people agree on this idea, why don't we open up an area on the forums for us to start writing tutorials, and we can start changing or adding ideas to help with the missions. I want to believe that HTS can become a new type of community, helping with education instead of saying "check the guides/google". Honestly, if we all put some effort in to it this could be done in months. If it takes longer that's fine, we'll just give assistance to what we have assistance for until new content in added. I think focus on something like this would be the change this community has been wanting for a long time.

This has been discussed often. We still don't want any spoilers but in depth information as a guide is useful. We've also discussed adding a Postmortem for each mission for users who complete them and want to learn more.

These are things we will definitely implement in v5 and can be started early. In fact, some of us have already done that: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Nqn ... EjKuQ/edit

This is just a beginner guide which, ironically enough, Ninjex created an arguably better version of and posted it as a forum thread.

If users want to start writing more in depth introduction tutorials, a collaborative Google Doc is a great way to go. For those who wish to write postmortems for missions, we ask that you do this collaboratively with only those who have already completed the mission.

If anyone (hellow?) wants to get started on this, I can set up some Docs so people can start contributing.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to General