If the government were to seize my computer...

Random things go here

If the government were to seize my computer...

Post by bandchicky314 on Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:25 pm
([msg=55329]see If the government were to seize my computer...[/msg])

I'd be totally screwed. Not only am I frequently visiting this site but I have numerous searches on bioterrorism, anthrax attacks, pathogens, and hacking.
Who all is with me and why?
bandchicky314
New User
New User
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:14 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: If the government were to seize my computer...

Post by Goatboy on Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:35 pm
([msg=55331]see Re: If the government were to seize my computer...[/msg])

Um... What?

Visiting this site is in NO way illegal. Neither is Googling for bioterrorism, anthrax, pathogens, hacking, child pornography, necrophelia, beastiality, assassination, rape, or any of the other things that make life amazing.

Seems to me like you just wanted to get attention by labeling yourself as a rebel. That does not impress here.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
User avatar
Goatboy
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2865
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:35 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: If the government were to seize my computer...

Post by pretentious on Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:14 pm
([msg=55336]see Re: If the government were to seize my computer...[/msg])

I don't keep browser history. Though I'm sure they could find their way around it, i think all my rebellious searches are pretty safe from prying eyes :roll:
But anyway, wouldn't that be the least of your worries?
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
User avatar
pretentious
Addict
Addict
 
Posts: 1219
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:48 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: If the government were to seize my computer...

Post by bandchicky314 on Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:22 pm
([msg=55337]see Re: If the government were to seize my computer...[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:Um... What?

Visiting this site is in NO way illegal. Neither is Googling for bioterrorism, anthrax, pathogens, hacking, child pornography, necrophelia, beastiality, assassination, rape, or any of the other things that make life amazing.

Seems to me like you just wanted to get attention by labeling yourself as a rebel. That does not impress here.


Hm. I did not know that. I mean I knew that this site was legal but I wasn't sure about anything else. I figured the government would label it fishy though.
bandchicky314
New User
New User
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:14 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: If the government were to seize my computer...

Post by mShred on Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:02 pm
([msg=55347]see Re: If the government were to seize my computer...[/msg])

bandchicky314 wrote:I figured the government would label it fishy though.

I label you as fishy.
User avatar
mShred
Addict
Addict
 
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:22 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)


Re: If the government were to seize my computer...

Post by pretentious on Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:15 am
([msg=55362]see Re: If the government were to seize my computer...[/msg])

In a feeble attempt to hijack this thread, do any of you encrypt your hard drives? While i have downloaded the software to do it, i haven't really felt that it was necessary, and with the assumption that most of you don't exactly have stolen credit card information sitting around, what reason do you have to do so? apart from the obvious one which is to feel really cool 8-)
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
User avatar
pretentious
Addict
Addict
 
Posts: 1219
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:48 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: If the government were to seize my computer...

Post by Gatito on Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:17 am
([msg=55364]see Re: If the government were to seize my computer...[/msg])

pretentious wrote:In a feeble attempt to hijack this thread, do any of you encrypt your hard drives? While i have downloaded the software to do it, i haven't really felt that it was necessary, and with the assumption that most of you don't exactly have stolen credit card information sitting around, what reason do you have to do so? apart from the obvious one which is to feel really cool 8-)

Have you tried giving an encrypted flash drive to somebody, stating it has high confidential material in it?
User avatar
Gatito
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:55 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: If the government were to seize my computer...

Post by Goatboy on Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:10 pm
([msg=55369]see Re: If the government were to seize my computer...[/msg])

I encrypt my shit for two reasons. The first is that I do actually have some things that I want to protect. Not gonna go into too much detail here, but this includes scans of personal documents, password lists, etc. The second reason is that even if I didn't have anything that needed protecting, I would be setting a precedent for those that do. If your average citizen with nothing to hide starts using encryption, this just enforces the defense of those who do have something to hide.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
User avatar
Goatboy
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2865
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:35 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: If the government were to seize my computer...

Post by insomaniacal on Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:06 pm
([msg=55387]see Re: If the government were to seize my computer...[/msg])

I have a flashdrive with some semi-important/private things that I keep encrypted. Nothing really incriminating on it, but its its got copies of stuff that I'd rather not let just anyone see.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
User avatar
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 10:21 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: If the government were to seize my computer...

Post by pretentious on Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:33 pm
([msg=55391]see Re: If the government were to seize my computer...[/msg])

Gatito wrote:Have you tried giving an encrypted flash drive to somebody, stating it has high confidential material in it?

No. And with the people i know, i could just hand them an empty flash drive and they will believe it.
Goatboy wrote:if I didn't have anything that needed protecting, I would be setting a precedent for those that do. If your average citizen with nothing to hide starts using encryption, this just enforces the defense of those who do have something to hide.

Now to encrypt my flash drives.
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
User avatar
pretentious
Addict
Addict
 
Posts: 1219
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:48 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Next

Return to Off-Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests