If the government were to seize my computer...

Random things go here

Re: If the government were to seize my computer...

Post by fashizzlepop on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:43 pm
([msg=55462]see Re: If the government were to seize my computer...[/msg])

The only thing I have encrypted on my HD is the insurance file for Julian Assange.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by bandchicky314 on Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:40 pm
([msg=55821]see Re: If the government were to seize my computer...[/msg])

How would I encrypt my files?
bandchicky314
New User
New User

Post by insomaniacal on Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:53 pm
([msg=55827]see Re: If the government were to seize my computer...[/msg])

There's google for questions like that, but look into TrueCrypt.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by bandchicky314 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:12 pm
([msg=56320]see Re: If the government were to seize my computer...[/msg])

Oh yeah duh.. sorry lol. Totally going to do that. I'm a noobcake when it comes to hacking/technology/computers but I'm trying to learn so that's gotta count for something right? :lol:
bandchicky314
New User
New User

Post by AnubisTheJackle on Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:39 pm
([msg=56337]see Re: If the government were to seize my computer...[/msg])

I actually just spent most of my day today encrypting a new external hard drive using TrueCrypt. I like it because first I encrypted the entire drive, using both a key and a password. It has a GUI that makes it rather easy to do. You have to make sure that the drive is empty of any files that you wanted, because it will format the drive.

After that, I set the drive up as a secondary, redundancy backup to my current external hard drive that I use on my home server. This way if my webserver fails, and my first backup fails, I have a second backup. And this one's encrypted. I plan to remove my first backup drive and format the entire drive using TrueCrypt, but encrypting a 1.5 terabyte hard drive is...a rather time consuming process.

Anyway, after I setup the backup system, I decided that it was time to put a collection of files that I just want out of the way of prying eyes into an encrypted folder. So I used TrueCrypt again to create an encrypted file inside of the encrypted hard drive. I used a different encryption scheme, because I'm an encryption freak. I also used a key on this file system, different than the original key. So yea, if the police ever seized my computer they would spend weeks attempting to decrypt family photos and other...private...images.

At the end of the day though I wanted to private images filesystem to be unmounted unless I wanted to use it. The backup drive, which is encrypted, is still mounted most of the time, so just because the drive is encrypted doesn't make it secure. If someone managed to get physical or virtual access to my system they would be able to access the encrypted drive.

http://www.truecrypt.org/ is where you can pick up TrueCrypt. I saw earlier they have versions for Mac, Windows and Linux. I've only ever used the linux version, so can't comment on the rest, but the linux version is simple to setup, even for someone new to it. It's got very clear instructions.
AnubisTheJackle
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:04 pm
([msg=56614]see Re: If the government were to seize my computer...[/msg])

I'm pretty sure the police can subpoena you for your password. Should you refuse to give it up, you can most likely be imprisoned for obstruction of justice. Have fun.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by msbachman on Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:15 pm
([msg=56615]see Re: If the government were to seize my computer...[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:I'm pretty sure the police can subpoena you for your password. Should you refuse to give it up, you can most likely be imprisoned for obstruction of justice. Have fun.

I was skeptical of this at first; I'd think it'd clearly be within the realm of the 5th amendment but it looks like you might be right. Here are a couple of things I found that discuss that issue further:
http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1760700
http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1839178
http://blog.simplejustice.us/2007/12/15/subpoena-quashed-for-encryption-password.aspx

That's fucked up, but depending on what they suspect one of doing, it might be preferential to just tell the cops to pound sand regardless!
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pretentious on Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:47 pm
([msg=56625]see Re: If the government were to seize my computer...[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:Should you refuse to give it up, you can most likely be imprisoned for obstruction of justice. Have fun.

That might be a more lenient sentence than what you might get when they find what's on your drive, might not.
I find it a bit irritating how the law surrounding computer crime seems so vague. If I'm in a car and the speed limit is 100, i know how fast i can safely and legally travel and i know that if i exceed it, i could get fined, or worse. when I'm on a computer, i don't have a clue what i can get away with. I ssh into a uni server and it tells me that I'm not to do anything unauthorized. Define unauthorized :x
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

Post by sanddbox on Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:55 pm
([msg=56646]see Re: If the government were to seize my computer...[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:I'm pretty sure the police can subpoena you for your password. Should you refuse to give it up, you can most likely be imprisoned for obstruction of justice. Have fun.

And thus the concept of plausible deniability was born.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by fashizzlepop on Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:32 pm
([msg=56701]see Re: If the government were to seize my computer...[/msg])

"Unauthorized" would be anything NOT SPECIFICALLY delegated as something you CAN do. If there is an open terminal and you go online without permission, that can be defined by the courts as "hacking." Seriously.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic