college?

Random things go here

college?

Post by chrisx16x2008 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:39 am
([msg=16705]see college?[/msg])

hey i want to go into computers in college but im kind of confused. I wanna do an online college like devry or westwood although im not really sure what to go into. I wanna know how computers work like O/S, programming, architecture, etc... I also wanna go into game development like game engine programming, networking, 3d graphics, etc... I dont know what is my best option since game development they will probably make me focus on only game programming or only 3d design... and if i do either of those how I do a computer science major? I have heard of people making small video games in their dorms though? how do they do that if you can't be an all-in-one game devloper? any advice people of HTS?
chrisx16x2008
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: college?

Post by comperr on Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:09 pm
([msg=16786]see Re: college?[/msg])

If you want to go into game engine design a degree in Computer Science and a degree (minor or major) in Physics will help.
comperr
Poster
Poster

Post by Karec on Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:06 am
([msg=16905]see Re: college?[/msg])

Psh, all the cool Computer Science majors get Math minors.

But on a serious note Comperr is right on about getting a Computer Science degree with a Physics minor. However I think a Math or Art minor may be useful as well in different scenarios when it comes to video game design.

If you feel very motivated though you could always try the double major, a guy I know is going for one in IST and Comp Sci. I personally wish I could work as hard as him, he basically can get any technology job he wants in the market.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
-Rick Cook, The Wizardry Compiled
Karec
Poster
Poster

Post by DenyTheTruth on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:08 pm
([msg=17022]see Re: college?[/msg])

When I was going to college I was getting a double major in Computer Science and Game Design. I wish I would have stuck with it but monetary and living situations prevented that.
~ Parruption in Coradise ~
DenyTheTruth
Poster
Poster

Post by kratos1143 on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:09 am
([msg=17718]see Re: college?[/msg])

I'm a computer engineering major for a few more years. If your serious about wanting to know
O/S, programming, architecture, etc...
, then I would go for that major. Most schools will cover OS, Java and C++ (if not C, LISP, and more), and comp. architecture. The major difference between CS and CPE is CPE focuses a bit more on the hardware side with a heavy emphasis on software. If the school is good, they'll teach you all about the world that divides programming from hardware. To be a skilled programmer, even game design, you need to know how computers actually work, pipelines; assembly to binary instructions; and CISC vs RISC architectures. Knowing the above will give you a cutting edge in the gaming industry. Why? Because knowing this will allow you to write faster programs than some programmer that just knows how to code without any knowledge of the machine processes instructions. One guy I know has programmed a half dozen games using Java. He's been able to do this while staying in college. It's possible, but a lot of hard work. Hope that helps and good luck! CS or CPE is an amazing career.

EDIT: Also take a look at digipen.
kratos1143
New User
New User

Return to Off-Topic