Call for Participants - Doctoral Study

Random things go here

Call for Participants - Doctoral Study

Post by socscisur on Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:32 am
([msg=93359]see Call for Participants - Doctoral Study[/msg])

I'm asking if people would please complete a very short online questionnaire on hacking. There are 8 questions and it should take approx. 2 minutes.

About the study:
This questionnaire is part of a doctoral study investigating group process and identity in anonymous online communities related to hacking. This study has been reviewed and approved in line with the University’s Research Ethics Code of Practice. The data gathered from this questionnaire will be solely used for academic research.

About the questionnaire:
The questionnaire is hosted by Qualtrics.com. The website will record IP addresses but no other information. To help keep your IP address private I would recommend using Tor or a VPN. No identifying information is required or requested. The questionnaire contains a combination of questions and statements. It should take approximately 2 minutes to complete. Submission of the questionnaire will constitute consent, allowing the data given to be used in the study. Please note that in order to withdraw at any time you only need to close the browser page, however, once you have completed and submitted the questionnaire we are not able to remove your anonymised responses from the study. All information will be kept strictly confidential. This questionnaire is entirely anonymous, no identifying data is collected. All data relating to this study will be kept for the duration of this project, until December 2018. Only people aged 16 years and above should complete this questionnaire.

To complete the questionnaire please use this link: https://bournemouthpsych.eu.qualtrics.c ... UgJFnvkSmF

About the researcher:
I am a PhD student at Bournemouth University (UK). I have attended various hacking conventions including DEFCON24. I am posting this call for participants across different online forums. My personal stance on hacking is neutral, I support organisations that want to keep the internet neutral (e.g. no mass surveillance, protect free speech, right to privacy and anonymity). In my work I argue that hackers are not the same as cybercriminals, but my focus is on group processes online and identity. If you have any questions or would like further information on this study, please email socscisur@tutanota.com.
socscisur
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Call for Participants - Doctoral Study

Post by pretentious on Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:40 am
([msg=93362]see Re: Call for Participants - Doctoral Study[/msg])

Not super active in the community but I took part.
Found the questions 'do you tell others you're in the community ' and 'do you consider yourself a hacker' very interesting lol
A lot of things in my life are ntk, I'm not ashamed and I'll answer I suppose, but generally I don't broadcast.
I've got a question for everyone else here, do you consider yourself bitter? Not attacking the community or anything, you guys gave me so much I can never repay you, buuuuut... I noticed things about myself when I left haha maybe it was my age
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

PhD Research

Post by socscisur on Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:06 pm
([msg=93750]see PhD Research[/msg])

Delayed BUT for anyone interested or who took part in this survey, I have shared the results online:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VJU ... oV1AfTIXQ/

I'm moving on to the next stage of my research which is interviewing volunteers from hacking communities, asking about their experiences and perspectives. My main focus is on what it's like being part of the "hacking" communitity, what it means to be a hacker (vs what it used to mean), what individuals take into account when making decisions about online behaviour, and how trust forms or changes within the groups. Obviously it's all completely anonymous, I don't ask for any identifying information. If any one would be interested in speaking to me, or learning more about my research but feel free to PM me.
Thanks
socscisur
New User
New User

Post by Olirjola on Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:18 am
([msg=100589]see Re: Call for Participants - Doctoral Study[/msg])

Fascinating work. I wrote a similar paper about proxy servers. By the way, my friend in her dissertation used information from the website https://studyhippo.com/citi-mod1/ where there was an essay about proxy servers. I think that many students could find the necessary information for their papers.
Olirjola
New User
New User

Post by Sophia77 on Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:35 pm
([msg=100627]see Re: Call for Participants - Doctoral Study[/msg])

hi
Sophia77
New User
New User

Post by Gizande on Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:04 pm
([msg=100722]see Re: Call for Participants - Doctoral Study[/msg])

:)
Gizande
New User
New User

Post by AlyssaPatterson on Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:10 am
([msg=101430]see Re: Call for Participants - Doctoral Study[/msg])

Good discussion on questionnaire which is portion of a doctoral study exploring group procedure and individuality in unidentified online communities related to hacking.
Alyssa,
http://www.secureassignmenthelp.com/
AlyssaPatterson
New User
New User

Post by LaurendeSouza on Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:10 am
([msg=102211]see Re: Call for Participants - Doctoral Study[/msg])

Knowledgeable confab you share here. Thank you for share in depth about questionnaire on hacking. Keep it up.
Lauren, cv builder at CV Folks. https://www.cvfolks.co.uk/cv-builder/
LaurendeSouza
New User
New User

Post by WilliamRiley on Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:17 am
([msg=102635]see Re: Call for Participants - Doctoral Study[/msg])

I feel proud to being a part of this useful discussion and I read here questionnaire which is portion of a doctoral study exploring group procedure and individuality in unidentified online communities related to hacking. Keep it up!
William, essay help provider. http://www.eliteassignment.co.uk/essay-writing-help
WilliamRiley
New User
New User

Return to Off-Topic