Any polyglots in the house?

Random things go here

Re: Any polyglots in the house?

Post by cyberdrain on Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:43 am
([msg=85276]see Re: Any polyglots in the house?[/msg])

Randoph wrote:This can make thing look like there is no logic involved, while in fact, there is nothing but logic.

Hmm, please give me an explanation of how logical irregular verbs are or why every grammatical rule in about any language has at least one exception. Sure it might be 'logical' to have exceptions, but it's not logical if one were to design a language like that. Look at it this way: we tried to force logic into languages because that makes them easier to understand and learn, when in fact it's a product of communication evolution where sometimes there is no reason. I'm interested to hear why you see it like that though :)

Randoph wrote:I can certainly relate to this problem, and it sound retarded as fuck when there is a random English word in your sentence.

I hate it when people do that, even though unwittingly we're all doing it at one time or another (loanwords anyone?). That said, obviously mixing languages in a sentence does sound retarded.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by LiquidLemon on Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:15 am
([msg=85809]see Re: Any polyglots in the house?[/msg])

I'd say that I'm only fluent in two languages currently. Beside my native language I can only speak and think in English. Although I didn't really ever have any chance to talk with anybody who wasn't from my country to check how good I actually am.
During my education I've been learning German for 9 years (it's just as much time as I've put into learning English) and starting over two times. I still can't understand people speaking it and also can't speak it myself, so I've decided to give up (at least for some time). Instead I'm now (since about 3 months ago) trying to learn Spanish.
I'll probably also try Japanese at some point of my life just because I find it different. And who knows, it may be useful one day.

I know that that's nothing impressive but it's better than nothing, right? And I guess that never going abroad doesn't really help learning languages, does it?
LiquidLemon

Post by QtDevl on Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:04 pm
([msg=85813]see Re: Any polyglots in the house?[/msg])

I know Italian, English, Romanian, French, Russian and Latin.
I am trying to learn Japanese, and I'll probably visit it sometime next year.
I've always loved languages, especially those that were COMPLETELY diferent from my language ( Russian in particular IS AWESOME, and has always fascinated me before learning it ).
On a fun side-note I usually think in a language that I somehow associate with the topic I'm thinking of.
The last languages that I've learned are usually those that I use the most.
Often I use words from other languages to fill gaps when I don't know words.
If freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will have freedom...
QtDevl
New User
New User

Post by RatkinHHK on Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:36 am
([msg=85820]see Re: Any polyglots in the house?[/msg])

@QtDevl: Where are you from, actually?

Well, I am trying to learn German at the moment. Afterwards, I agreed with some friends to start Russian together.
In case none of you knew, Duolingo is a great place to learn new languages. Especially if you know english.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." --- Winston Churchill
RatkinHHK
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by parakkafaith on Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:43 pm
([msg=85824]see Re: Any polyglots in the house?[/msg])

QtDevl wrote:Russian in particular IS AWESOME, and has always fascinated me before learning it

What do you like about Russian? I don't speak it, but I'm all for learning it.
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
- Probably not Arthur C. Clarke
parakkafaith
Poster
Poster

Post by ghost107 on Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:33 pm
([msg=85826]see Re: Any polyglots in the house?[/msg])

I can Read/Speak Romanian(Native Language), English, French, and currently learning Japanese.
ghost107
Poster
Poster

Post by RatkinHHK on Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:22 pm
([msg=85827]see Re: Any polyglots in the house?[/msg])

Hmm... I am Romanian, the one above me is Romanian and there is still an unconfirmed one suspected of being as well a Romanian.
We should raise our own digital army. With blackjack and hookers.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." --- Winston Churchill
RatkinHHK
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by tripbeam on Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:58 am
([msg=85832]see Re: Any polyglots in the house?[/msg])

Well i can speak to languages

1: English

2: hsilgnE

Alright well maybe i tried to hard to look smart :mrgreen:

Learning chinese, russian and also spanish would be pretty nice. Not like i'd have too, but for fun.
tripbeam
Poster
Poster

Post by QtDevl on Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:20 am
([msg=85836]see Re: Any polyglots in the house?[/msg])

parakkafaith wrote:
QtDevl wrote:Russian in particular IS AWESOME, and has always fascinated me before learning it

What do you like about Russian? I don't speak it, but I'm all for learning it.

It has fascinated because it was completely different from my native language, which is a neo-latin language.
That's why I want to learn japanese as well, just for the cultural and lexical differences that come with it.
I LIKE it because it's actually not that hard, and also because they like to mess with neo-latin languages ( B becomes V, P becomes R, H becomes N, C becomes S, X becomes H, just because f you all ) ahahahahah

EDIT:
RatkinHHK wrote:@QtDevl: Where are you from, actually?

I'm italian, I've written it first because it's my main language.
If freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will have freedom...
QtDevl
New User
New User

Previous

Return to Off-Topic