Linux

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

Re: Linux

Post by liuyuan on Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:42 pm
([msg=9281]see Re: Linux[/msg])

BuTTHeaD wrote:But yea, many programs that i've tried to download are only for xp and under.
It's really pissed me off.

But dude, i AM going by your advice.
Thanks for it.
Rock on dude.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

@dickbutt ;] : Great! Glad you found it helpful. You can run something on Vista that only runs on XP or under with the compatibility mode.
Click the link below for more information :>
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows- ... lity-mode/

@mutant: rofl, yeah XD I sometimes find it funny too :>

@atrius:

Not going to lie. Your post is a bit too long for my attention span, so I didn't go through it. I'll let you off without intensively flaming you.
However, it seems like you haven't completely understood my post at all. But you've called me out, sticking random quotes and changing the meaning of them. I'm not going to do nothing about that, because misquoting is something I just cannot tolerate.
If you have a stick up your ass, and not feeling well when you wrote this, I completely understand. Bad moods happen to the best of us. I’m simply here to correct your opinion about my post.
“Stating that somebody is a "noob" for sticking to windows is ... amusing”
Nope. I didn’t call him a noob for sticking to windows. You’ve made that part up. I’ve called him a noob, and THEN I told him to stick to windows. Noob is simply someone that is new at something. I was once a noob at computers. I’m still a noob at Kendo. Nothing to be ashamed of.
“The orginal question was related to "hacking, programming, scripting, etc" - and Linux suits this far easier then Windows does. Support for numerous scripting and coding languages, for starters - you cant say that Windows makes it easy to install developers tools (compilers, IDE's, etc) for Ruby, Python, Perl, Java, C++ and C during installation.”
No it doesn’t. Visual studio does most of the things what you’ve listed. If you’re still not satisfied, check out Cygwin, as I’ve mentioned before: A bash shell that lets you achieve the “Terminal” effect for Linux.
“Where'd you get that information? What're you comparing IE7 too? Anybody who runs IE7 is not exactly smart - sure, its a hellava lot safer then IE5, but its still not great. Use Firefox.”
First, I’m going to Grammar Nazi you. “its” is used to describe the possession of “it”. What you mean to say is “it’s” with the apostrophe. It means “it is”.
Second of all, you seem to not have read my complete post. It states that:
“However some of the hacking applications are only to be run on old machines. Some other programs are made specifically for Vista though. IE7 for example, it runs at least 2910481920 times faster, that's just a bad example.”
IE7, is the “other programs specifically made for Vista.” I know it runs faster on Vista because I have XP, Linux Fedora, Linux Slax, and Vista. It runs much, much faster on Vista. Please do not get me to benchmark it for you.
“It is foolish to say that you “remain an idiot” by running Linux.”
Please, do not misquote me. This is your first and final warning. I’ve never said anyone who runs Linux is an idiot. But running Linux while not know how to use it, running Linux just because your friends said is good is not smart.
“Knowing at least the basics of Linux (basic commands, directory structure, compilation / installation of software, etc) is not a bad thing at all.”
Again, this is exactly why I’ve told him to get Cygwin. Looks like you’re not familiar with it either. http://www.cygwin.com.
In the end, you end up sticking your two cents in. It turned out to be pretty much what I’ve just said. (Cept you’ve added insults to me and made it 50 times longer, only achieving the effect of this lengthy reply.)

Nevertheless, I notice that you’re a noob around here too. Welcome to the site, and please enjoy your stay. I am quite happy that some people (you) could write decent posts to challenge me. I like you already.
ImageImageImage
liuyuan
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by BuTTHeaD on Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:32 pm
([msg=9297]see Re: Linux[/msg])

Alrighttt. I'm taking in all this info coming from all of you, thank you, thank you.
But yeah, i'm going to stick to windows unitl i learn what i need to learn.
from what i've seen around the site, it appears i should learn HTML, then CSS, Javascript, etc.
Hhaha, and yeah dude, i'm a noob and i know it, but i'm not going to try and take the easy way like some faggots do by asking, "How do i hack!" How do i do this and that!" I'm going to ask what i need to know and learn it on my own.
But no problem dude, and thanks.
you guys can PM whenever to talk abt whatever.

Peaceeeeeeeee.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
BuTTHeaD
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by azusa on Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:35 pm
([msg=9301]see Re: Linux[/msg])

this is a interesting thread I enjoyed reading it and very entertaining but I did download cygwin and searching for tutriols on how to use it.

I still need to do more reading on my coding tho kinda gettin ahead of myself.
azusa
New User
New User

Post by BuTTHeaD on Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:06 pm
([msg=9312]see Re: Linux[/msg])

Hahaha, yea azuza, i'm being the same way.
I'm getting a little too far ahead of muself.
gots to do more reading.
BUT i have damn school tomorrow, then football after that, then come home and do schoolwork.
So, i'm really not going to have much time to do anything!
I'm going to try to get into as much reading as possible.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
BuTTHeaD
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by atrius on Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:51 am
([msg=9345]see Re: Linux[/msg])

Haha @ everybody above me ;) noice thread. [to be honest, i cant be bothered remembering how to type your names, and i dont want to offend you by getting it all wrong].

@liuyuan :: I am sorry for misquoting - that was very unintentional. I had thought that my quotes reflected your post - obviously I misread yours (which begs the question : how clear was your post? In a respectfull way... ;)

Anyway, my thoughts on the matter - get a Linux distribution and learn to use it. I agree with liuyuan, sure, you'll learn something by using Cygwin... but the best way to learn to swim is to dive into the deep end. Cygwin is a linux emulation tool - I have had a fair bit of experiance with it, and in my opinion, while it has uses, its not brillient. Just go the whole hog and get Linux.

However, best of luck for any people who want to go either way :) I'd love to hear your thoughts / questions on either cygwin or linux :)
atrius
New User
New User

Post by BuTTHeaD on Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:44 pm
([msg=9404]see Re: Linux[/msg])

Yeah dude, i'll talk to you whenever.
Thanks for all of your input.
Now, one last thing, what should i be learning at first and tell me in order if you can? :mrgreen: i'm sorry if i'm asking too much because i have to do a lot of shit tonight and when i get back on i'd love to know.
Can someone tell me?

Thanks guys.

Catch you later.

Peaceeeee. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
BuTTHeaD
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by azusa on Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:47 pm
([msg=9487]see Re: Linux[/msg])

well I am in school right now for CIS and I am trying to get a jump start on my classes. So I am learning how to code in c++ right now. I am getting linux for the pure hell of it tho. I downloaded cygwin and have it intalled and its like now what lol.
azusa
New User
New User

Post by BuTTHeaD on Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:07 pm
([msg=9491]see Re: Linux[/msg])

Hahahahahah, yeahh.
Nice dude.
Well, i can learn shit from off the internet, it doesn't really matter which windows i have for learning.
But,what is better for gaming?
SP3 or Vista?
I've looked into many articles and some benchmarks are higher and lower.
What's your input on that?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
BuTTHeaD
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by BuTTHeaD on Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:16 pm
([msg=9817]see Re: Linux[/msg])

Microsoft is pissing me off.
I'm having a lot of problems with it, like security, getting viruses and such with both XP and Vista.
So, i think i'm going to try out a Linux livecd.
So which is better, Fedora or Ubuntu?
I did that linux distro quiz thing and those were my two highest choices.
So help me out.

Thanks dude.
BuTTHeaD
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Phyroxis on Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:38 pm
([msg=9827]see Re: Linux[/msg])

BuTTHeaD wrote:Microsoft is pissing me off.
I'm having a lot of problems with it, like security, getting viruses and such with both XP and Vista.
So, i think i'm going to try out a Linux livecd.
So which is better, Fedora or Ubuntu?
I did that linux distro quiz thing and those were my two highest choices.
So help me out.

Thanks dude.

I recently jumped to Linux (with the luxury of an old computer laying around that I could use as a test machine). If you're sure you want to do it, I'd suggest Ubuntu.. as thats the one I've gone with and have found to be really good with everything I want it to do. Not to mention it was also the most recommended by the largest number of people that I could find and talk to.. It also has a pretty large community to support you in case you have any issues. You can also do a "live" test, where the OS will run off the install CD directly and you can use it as if it were actually installed, so you can tell if you like it or not BEFORE you actually install it.

I am not sure about Fedora, I haven't looked into it yet since Ubuntu was a hit for me.
Phyroxis
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Operating Systems