Looking for educational resources

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Looking for educational resources

Post by m1k3st4rr on Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:34 pm
([msg=39904]see Looking for educational resources[/msg])

Hey folks,

I just finished reading an older Prentice Hall book on networking which gave a great overview on the various levels of the OSI model. The book covered everything from the physical layer up to applications and basic network security. I've got a pretty good grasp on the theory of it all, but only got to look at a few practical (source code) examples.

Do any of you have good books/recommendations for my next step? Specifically, I'm looking for some tutorials on the actual implementation of frame and packet transfer protocols, routing of these frames (packets) within the LAN, etc... Enough so that I could write the backbone code myself

My goal is to understand wire-sniffing/ARP-poisoning programs such as Cain&Abel/Wireshark thoroughly before I go ahead and start using them.
m1k3st4rr
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Looking for educational resources

Post by msbachman on Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:00 pm
([msg=39905]see Re: Looking for educational resources[/msg])

Well, first a question, are you looking to be a developer? As in, a socket programmer? In that case I'd recommend the Beej guide to network programming, available at this site:

http://beej.us/guide/bgnet/

For free, no less. Doing that, you'll come to grasp an intricate feel for how network connections are made...and how theoretical the OSI model is!

Let me know if this helps. If you're just looking to run wireshark and cain/abel, reading up on their respective documentation should suffice. I know the former at least is very informative, from what little I've read of it.

-- Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:01 pm --

Now that I think about it, if you're talking about writing code that's destined for routing specifically, I don't have a clue about what I'd suggest for that. I don't know much about routers to begin with, so I apologize if my post misses the mark.
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by m1k3st4rr on Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:05 am
([msg=39912]see Re: Looking for educational resources[/msg])

Actually, that reference was right on the mark - thanks! Funny author too...

msbachman wrote:Well, first a question, are you looking to be a developer?

Yep, although not necessarily sockets. As you said, the OSI model is pretty theoretical, and I was looking for guides (like beej's) with more practicality. As far as cain/abel and wireshark goes, I am looking for solid documentation on how/why they work rather than their actual usage.

msbachman wrote:Now that I think about it, if you're talking about writing code that's destined for routing specifically

I was a little bit misleading here... by routing within the LAN, I just meant the transfer of packets to/from the router. I'm not that interested in routing algorithms beyond the local network.
m1k3st4rr
New User
New User

Post by Crunchbite on Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:48 am
([msg=40143]see Re: Looking for educational resources[/msg])

I have a copy of the Networking Bible by Barrie Sosinsky (ISBN 978-0-470-43131-3)

I really like it because it focuses on a combination of networking theory and practices. One of the reasons I chose it over other books though was that it is Cross-referenced throughout the entire book. It also has a great index in back and makes for a great reference book. For an educational book it is quite wordy, but it really has a TON of great information in it.
"I will teach you the way of the open keyboard, young one...I have helped many pupils achieve zen...and for only SEVEN easy payments of $19.99, I can give you FREE hacking lessons!" -sanddbox
Crunchbite
New User
New User

Post by neuromanta on Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:29 am
([msg=40147]see Re: Looking for educational resources[/msg])

If you are interested in routing algorithms (I know you said that you aren't, but it can help you to understand how networks work), you can take a look at OMNET++, which is a very complex network simulation framework. It has several built-in simulations and implementations of existing physical, MAC, and IP layer algorithms, of course with omnet specific code, but in C++ nevertheless, so you can learn from it and experiment with it. For example, I once tried to implement a WLAN MAC layer of my own, and I could test it right away... so it's really cool, check it out.
neuromanta
Poster
Poster

Return to Networking