Home Web Server

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Home Web Server

Post by Faithe25 on Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:43 pm
([msg=92004]see Home Web Server[/msg])

Hey everyone,

I have a few questions for anyone with experience hosting a home web server, or with knowledge of security in general.

I recently setup an old desktop with CentOS and configured it as a web server. The server is setup correctly, and the domain I registered resolves correctly.

This is the first time that I have used Apache or CentOS, and I am not very familiar with the security issues related to those systems.

Could anyone offer security recommendations for a home web server?

Thank you!
Faithe25
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Home Web Server

Post by Valar_Dragon on Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:08 pm
([msg=92008]see Re: Home Web Server[/msg])

My first recommendation would be to double check that you have sanitized all your inputs.
I have no idea what sort of thing your webserver is hosting, but make sure you don't make the same dumb mistakes in your .htaccess files and such as in some of the challenges here. Then I would encourage you to read about how some servers were broken into, and to read about CSRF and XSS Attacks, and try them out and remedy them on your server. If you were looking for "common errors new users make when setting up Cent OS/Apache servers", I apologize I am of no help.
Valar_Dragon
New User
New User

Re: Home Web Server

Post by tremor77 on Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:12 pm
([msg=92014]see Re: Home Web Server[/msg])

Which version of CentOS? You'll want to setup your IPTables firewall to only allow traffic on the appropriate ports that you want access to. 80 for http, 443 for https, 22 for ssh (if you want to allow it).

I'd edit sshd.conf and disallow root login for ssh.

Install Fail2Ban.

Google securing Centos, Apache Webserver.... there are only about 5 billion articles with pretty in depth steps and details.
tremor77
Addict
Addict

Return to Networking