malware spyware trojans virus'...

The constant threat: viruses, trojans, spyware, ... the list goes on

malware spyware trojans virus'...

Post by iamjman on Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:07 am
([msg=4774]see malware spyware trojans virus'...[/msg])

what ar they exacly. how do they work? differnces w.e thouht it could be cool little informational section. i dont think its illegal to just explain them..?
iamjman
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: malware spyware trojans virus'...

Post by Jimmy_Riddle on Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:36 am
([msg=5325]see Re: malware spyware trojans virus'...[/msg])

Try visiting http://vx.netlux.org you will find a lot of information on Vx (Virus Writting) also a visit to textfiles.com and read the zine 40 Hex, this will hopefully give you some insight into the Vx scene, but my stongest suggestion is that you DO NOT download any of the Virus authoring applications unless your seriously confident that you know what your doing, its a good way to get a one way ticket to reformat city if you go playing with virus code! :geek:

It is also illegal so if you go and do something stupid, then its all your fault! :ugeek:

I suggest buying a reading Viruses Revealed, a very in depth book, viruses where easy to define or at least they where a couple of years ago, but back then a Trojan ment something that would kill your PC and nowadays it means a program that piggy backs onto something else and steals control from the end user (you) R.A.T (Remote Access Trojan).

The reason a lot of Malware slips past anti-virus search engines is simply because the person using it, if their good enough know's how to make it undetectable to most anti-virus scanners, getting it into your PC is simply a matter of using a dropper or an uploader or just from visiting an infected site however. .

This is a subject I dont really like to discuss as I dont think the moderators would appreciate me revealing my depth of knowledge on some of these subjects. Surfice to say if you want to learn, you have to go out and read.
Jimmy_Riddle
New User
New User

Post by thedotmaster on Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:00 pm
([msg=7297]see Re: malware spyware trojans virus'...[/msg])

I think there should be a virus makers section on this board. We should try and encourage the bring back of the era when virus writing was an art.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Post by beagle on Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:04 pm
([msg=9676]see Re: malware spyware trojans virus'...[/msg])

Nowadays, people can just download a Virus Making Kit, instead of actually making the virus themselves.
Worse, the people that use the kits never understand the code involved. It's usually just a 1-2-3 procedure.
beagle
Poster
Poster

Post by thedotmaster on Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:14 pm
([msg=9680]see Re: malware spyware trojans virus'...[/msg])

beagle wrote:Nowadays, people can just download a Virus Making Kit, instead of actually making the virus themselves.
Worse, the people that use the kits never understand the code involved. It's usually just a 1-2-3 procedure.

Exactly. There was a time when virus writing at least had an element of skill involved in it.
I have now actually changed my stance on it however. I think there is nothing wrong with writing viruses, but not releasing them. I used to say that as long as the worm or virus or whatever was skillfully written then that's fine but now I don't agree with that.
Why destroy computers? That's counterproductive and against the hacker ethics/rules. (Blocks access to knowledge).
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SatansBrother on Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:52 am
([msg=11662]see Re: malware spyware trojans virus'...[/msg])

The kits make shitty viruses also many of them have signatures and are so overly used that they arent as harmful as you may think, just my opionion most disagree. The kits do have the nice feature of changing file sizes as to avoid anti vir.

these are just my definitions disagree with me if you like but plz dont start a flame thread

Trojan programs provide a way for an unautorized user to gain access to your machine remotely, a good trojan will be undetected and allow for a hacker to have access to essential files thorugh malicious programs usually disguised as essential software and hidden in directories most people do not visit

Spyware: keyloggers, cookiegrabbers, web snoopers etc. Main point of spyware is to allow the monitoring of a victims computer either for the purposed of marketing, stealing critical info, or viewing programs in development (lets say for corporate espionage)

Malware: malicious code....programs....scripts... etc software that does damage to a users system unlike the top two the main objective is to damage the computer.
SatansBrother
New User
New User

Post by Jimmy_Riddle on Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:43 pm
([msg=12872]see Re: malware spyware trojans virus'...[/msg])

Virus writing is a dying art, but theirs a lot to be said for those 1-2-3 instant virus kits, their great if you want to get your hands dirty and they give you a chance to examine the source to some well known viruses, modifying the source and adding new strings that weren't part of the original source means you create a variant which can be twice as virulent than the original.

Case in point "Melissa or as it was more widely known ILOVEU"
It was a document macro virus, that in itself was nothing new, what he did to it that made it newer or unheard of was simply turn off the Macro Security checker from within the Macro itself;

Private Sub Document_Open()
On Error Resume Next
If System.PrivateProfileString("",
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Word\Security", "Level") <> ""
Then
CommandBars("Macro").Controls("Security...").Enabled = False
System.PrivateProfileString("",
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Word\Security", "Level") = 1&
Else
CommandBars("Tools").Controls("Macro").Enabled = False
Options.ConfirmConversions = (1 - 1): Options.VirusProtection = (1 - 1):
Options.SaveNormalPrompt = (1 - 1)
End If
Jimmy_Riddle
New User
New User

Post by thedotmaster on Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:31 pm
([msg=12882]see Re: malware spyware trojans virus'...[/msg])

Jimmy_Riddle wrote:Virus writing is a dying art, but theirs a lot to be said for those 1-2-3 instant virus kits, their great if you want to get your hands dirty and they give you a chance to examine the source to some well known viruses, modifying the source and adding new strings that weren't part of the original source means you create a variant which can be twice as virulent than the original.

Bullshit. They are not great at all. They are putting viruses in the hands of the noobs. Viruses are pathetic and if you release viruses you cannot be a hacker, regardless of whether you made it or not.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jimmy_Riddle on Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:16 pm
([msg=12888]see Re: malware spyware trojans virus'...[/msg])

You say putting it in the hand of a newb like its a bad thing, we where all n00bies at one time or another, I think you mean putting it in the hands of the skiddies and yes, that is unfortunate.

Hey I learnt from getting infected with Chernobyl, my friend gave me the source, it was just unfortunate that I was unaware it would cause my BIOS to melt... :geek:

If a virus that actually makes your computer smoke dosnt impress you then none of them will. :mrgreen:
Jimmy_Riddle
New User
New User

Post by thedotmaster on Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:47 pm
([msg=12898]see Re: malware spyware trojans virus'...[/msg])

Jimmy_Riddle wrote:You say putting it in the hand of a newb like its a bad thing, we where all n00bies at one time or another, I think you mean putting it in the hands of the skiddies and yes, that is unfortunate.

Hey I learnt from getting infected with Chernobyl, my friend gave me the source, it was just unfortunate that I was unaware it would cause my BIOS to melt... :geek:

If a virus that actually makes your computer smoke dosnt impress you then none of them will. :mrgreen:

I would be impressed by a virus that made your computer smoke. It would be pushing the technology. However I would not be impressed if it was released.
And in relation to "n00bs" - a noob isn't just someone who doesn't know much, it is practically synonymous with skiddy. You can not know much about an area but not be nooby.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Malware