how can I change all the information from my internet?

The fear of every surveillance society: citizens protecting their own privacy with strong cryptography

how can I change all the information from my internet?

Post by jeniferdutra on Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:40 pm
([msg=91011]see how can I change all the information from my internet?[/msg])

what I can do to change my ip among other things like dns ... this is very important
jeniferdutra
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: how can I change all the information from my internet?

Post by LiquidLemon on Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:42 am
([msg=91020]see Re: how can I change all the information from my internet?[/msg])

I think that this belongs in "Networking".
To answer your question: it depends.
If you have a dynamic ip you could just request a new address (which could be done in your router settings).
If you want to change your ip address to be more anonymous you can use a proxy or a vpn.
I don't know why you would want to change your DNS. No data goes through it, it's just there so that you can find out what is the ip of a server you are trying to connect to.

How you would configure these things depends on your operating system. A quick google search such as "how to configure a proxy on linux" will most likely give you a step by step guide on how to do that.

edit: I meant vpn not vps.
LiquidLemon

Re: how can I change all the information from my internet?

Post by cyberdrain on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:29 am
([msg=91030]see Re: how can I change all the information from my internet?[/msg])

LiquidLemon wrote:I don't know why you would want to change your DNS. No data goes through it, it's just there so that you can find out what is the ip of a server you are trying to connect to.

Actually, the hostname you're trying to connect to and the IP address you're requesting are sent in the clear over the Internet. Depending on whether you trust your ISP and government to keep that data safe, you might just want to use a safer alternative. You could also use DNSsec if you want more security, but you'll have to have some knowledge to set that up. Be sure you can trust your newly set-up DNS though, people have been known to manipulate queries making you connect to another IP than the original destination.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Return to Crypto