Opinions on White Hat Hacking to protect Insecure hosts

The place for all news posts regarding hacking, activism, and security.

Opinions on White Hat Hacking to protect Insecure hosts

Post by ry4wn on Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:18 pm
([msg=92012]see Opinions on White Hat Hacking to protect Insecure hosts[/msg])

I am curious for peoples opinions on white hat hackers hacking vulnerable hosts and patching and backdooring them. I did some research and found this group who had compromised 1000's of hosts just to secure them. Looking for some feedback - I did a write up on this at one of my sites and opened it up for comments but comments here are just as good. If you want to read and comment there it is the latest post at http://www.computersecurity.org/computer-cyber-security-news/reincarna-linux-wifatch-malware-whitehat-backdoor-made-by-the-good-guys-how-illegal-is-this/

-Ryan
ry4wn
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Opinions on White Hat Hacking to protect Insecure hosts

Post by tremor77 on Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:08 pm
([msg=92013]see Re: Opinions on White Hat Hacking to protect Insecure hosts[/msg])

Breaking into a system against the owners will, no matter what the reason is still illegal and wrong. Consider this, breaking into someone's house and making sure all the batteries in the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are fresh. While a noble act, you're still breaking and entering.

Now what's more who's to say that copycats do this, but leave backdoors for themselves... now people are less secure because they think some noble whitehat has come and secured their system, it's like being under protection by the mafia. You're only protected until they decide you are not protected anymore.

I think people should either take care of, either by themselves or by paying the appropriate professionals, their own security. Those who fail to do so appropriately should pay the consequences, only then will security improve.
tremor77
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Activism and Security News