Basic Mission 8

Learn new things
Forum rules
DO NOT POST ANSWERS OR SPOILERS! [IE: Mission Links, Mission File Names/Pages, Scripts, etc.]

Posting these will result in warnings/bans!

Re: Basic Mission 8

Post by Schlonk on Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:10 am
([msg=99166]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

Just solved this. Was the red herring intentional or a typo?
Schlonk
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by _Laika on Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:20 am
([msg=99195]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

Had no trouble getting through the first few basic levels and figuring out what I had to do to solve this one. I did, however, get hung up on "manipulating" my command to be exactly what the mission was looking for. For anyone else that's stuck at that point - I found it helpful to pay special attention to where the files created are saved and where that is relative to the target directory. Also, like others have said, take a short break and you'll probably see it next time you look at it.
_Laika
New User
New User

Post by Hayden5150 on Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:43 am
([msg=100192]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

Hey guys, new user so far. enjoying the site so far, it's nice to see immediate results of trial and error. I figured out challenge 8 but I don't understand fully why it worked. Would someone be able to pm me to chat?
Hayden5150
New User
New User

Post by Kaiyazeera on Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:52 pm
([msg=100417]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

This was really frustrating! One of my first ideas was absolutely correct, but I had been using a flag that is not supported by the solution regex, which made me wonder about the solution for quite some wasted minutes... :-/

So, hint:

Do not use flags.
Kaiyazeera
New User
New User

Post by marrkuz on Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:33 am
([msg=100518]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:Try to simplify the process. Then, once you have an idea, try accessing the file directly.

yup, that did it for me, thanks
Missions completed (updated 15-02-2020): (Points: 605)
Basic: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Realistic: 1,2, 3, 4, 5
marrkuz
New User
New User

Post by jrobinson3 on Wed May 13, 2020 8:55 pm
([msg=104363]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

Took me a couple of hours to solve this.

But for those who are getting a huge list of shtml files or the "On the right track" message and claim you have tried every command, I can say that you have NOT.
jrobinson3
New User
New User

Post by themindguy on Wed May 20, 2020 6:04 pm
([msg=104517]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

I can't believe I finally did it! It took me weeks! What an amazing feeling! xD
themindguy
New User
New User

Post by yondy_xo on Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:08 pm
([msg=104927]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

Finally got it! "combine the two" was the lightbulb moment for me.
yondy_xo
New User
New User

Post by Twisted_Code on Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:59 am
([msg=107407]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:Are you sure you're trying to open it from the right spot? Make sure you understand what directory you're listing the files from and what directory you're trying to view them from on the web server.

I was also trying to open the files listed, and even after reading your reply to the other guy, I'm not quite sure if I'm actually on the right path (despite being repeatedly told "you are on the right track" for various SSI submissions)
after getting the list of files, here's what I tried:
[list=][*]trying to open several of the files with HTTP from the temporary directory (result: I ended up seeing a lot of your witty 404 messages. Sure, these are some of the best "not found" messages I've EVER seen, but not particularly helpful to the task at hand)
[*]trying to open the first file same as above, but from one directory above the temporary directory (my thinking being that's where the PHP script is located, even if it's not where the SSI is executing from; result: another 404)
[*]trying to #include the file (using both parameter options; result: "you are on the right track" message)[/list]
Where else could the file be? Was I on the right track trying to request it with HTTP, or should I keep trying variations of #3? Where am I doing wrong?

maybe I did something wrong trying to include file... I'll give it another try in a few hours, but right now I can't stand to look at the "on the right track" message again.

(Side note: I hope telling you what I tried that DIDN'T work doesn't count as a spoiler. Since, you know, it didn't work...)
hi, I'm your friendly neighborhood BSIT student and computer science enthusiast. I have a spinal cord injury that prevents me from typing with my hands, but I don't let that stop me (*cough cough* virtual keyboard).
Twisted_Code
New User
New User

Previous

Return to Basic