Basic Mission 8

Learn new things
Forum rules
DO NOT POST ANSWERS OR SPOILERS! [IE: Mission Links, Mission File Names/Pages, Scripts, etc.]

Posting these will result in warnings/bans!

Re: Basic Mission 8

Post by xuxii on Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:48 am
([msg=94797]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

Got the list of .shtml files but any alterations to the code resulted in "on the right path" text. After eventually giving up, found the answer on google but now im confused. Posting this and 1 more to be able to PM a moderator about my question. Thanks in advance
xuxii
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by xuxii on Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:49 am
([msg=94798]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

Nevermind, while writing my pm, I actually had a lightbulb moment and answered my own question. Im an idiot. Good luck guys. Now im disappointed in myself for looking it up. Should have tried harder.
xuxii
New User
New User

Post by Avian Overlord on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:02 pm
([msg=94809]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

Posting so I can do the PM. I know what I have to do, and even how to do it, I just don't know the exact way Mission 8 wants me to do it.

Anyone is specific I should ask?
Avian Overlord
New User
New User

Post by YellowKnight on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:48 pm
([msg=94900]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

I was stuck for a long time looking at the directory with all the .shtmls. I found out that was a subdirectory of the directory you need to look at, so I tried typing in the location of the directory I needed. I had to learn a little more UNIX before I learned there was a simpler way to list the parent directory.
YellowKnight
New User
New User

Post by Kizzatp on Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:36 pm
([msg=94906]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of the comments and replies, they were very useful in solving this one!

I also had a huge problem receiving the 'you're on the right track' message, I knew the correct command and knew the shorter version of that command (providing the full file path is an accidental red herring). My problem was syntax as I'm not familiar with SSI syntax. The command needs to be enclosed in double quotes "like this" or it will not work correctly. I am unsure if this is the HTS whitelist function or SSI commands, but in order to get this to work this is important one way or the other.
Kizzatp
New User
New User

Post by thehacker1914 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:48 pm
([msg=95278]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

Kizzatp wrote:Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of the comments and replies, they were very useful in solving this one!

I also had a huge problem receiving the 'you're on the right track' message, I knew the correct command and knew the shorter version of that command (providing the full file path is an accidental red herring). My problem was syntax as I'm not familiar with SSI syntax. The command needs to be enclosed in double quotes "like this" or it will not work correctly. I am unsure if this is the HTS whitelist function or SSI commands, but in order to get this to work this is important one way or the other.

Hi! I am also stuck on that message, however since my knowledge is very limited in SSI I do not actually know any other way. I tried the " " instead of ' ' but it doesn't make a difference...
thehacker1914
New User
New User

404 page not found

Post by KD6266 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:42 pm
([msg=95302]see 404 page not found[/msg])

Hey guys, after listing all the files present when I try to open those files in new tab it says 404 (I've tried all the files) I'm using this kind of url https:://www.hackthissite.org/missions/basic/8/(file_name).shtml
Please help me
KD6266
New User
New User

Post by X4dd4r on Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:29 pm
([msg=95439]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

Lol. I was learning python, through a course on Pluralsight, then the guy did something in windows cmd shell I never knew possible, although with a different cmd. I thought to myself: "Let me try this in terninal", then got an idea to try it on this level and it worked. Definitely worth the wait. Advice for all others: Don't force it, just try to learn other stuff you don't currently understand. For example Linux, programming languages etc. and then return here. You won't learn anything here if you cheat your way through, solving the challenges is fun, but it's even better if you know exactly what you did and what happened. That's when you learn.
X4dd4r
New User
New User

Post by X4dd4r on Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:43 pm
([msg=95440]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

thehacker1914 wrote:
Kizzatp wrote:Hi everyone,

Hi! I am also stuck on that message, however since my knowledge is very limited in SSI I do not actually know any other way. I tried the " " instead of ' ' but it doesn't make a difference...

Server Side Includes are self-explanatory:
These things "<!--", "-->" are called the Includes, so once you send them, Server will read what's inside. There are a few commands that server will understand and execute, one you probably found out that works. And the other thing is, what OS is the server running? And what commands work within that system?

This level requires deeper knowledge of the OS and it's commands rather than SSI.
X4dd4r
New User
New User

Post by oskll on Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:09 pm
([msg=95498]see Re: Basic Mission 8[/msg])

Oh god, I fianlly did it after hours I think haha
Can I PM someone to know if I did the right way ? Ty !
oskll
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Basic