Basic Mission 1 – “The Idiot Test”

Learn new things
Forum rules
DO NOT POST ANSWERS OR SPOILERS! [IE: Mission Links, Mission File Names/Pages, Scripts, etc.]

Posting these will result in warnings/bans!

THE HARD WAY? Basic Mission 1 – “The Idiot Test”

Post by bitz0 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:31 pm
([msg=91278]see THE HARD WAY? Basic Mission 1 – “The Idiot Test”[/msg])

Hello Everyone
I'm still kind of new to this site, although I've tried doing this several times i always seam to fail.

Has anyone ever tried solving level 1 the "hard way"?

What I mean to say is, without looking at the password clearly written in the HTML notes for us. Is there another way to "force" the server tor reveal the password or read through the server files for the password. As if trying to hack a real website. I've been trying to figure out if there is a way to do this, and have also been scouring google, youtube, and other forums for advice but have never found anything.

perhaps is there a way to download the php code for mission 1 from HTS? I'm still stuck on how to do things like this. Another site that would be a good test is http://dollars-bbs.org/ the password is "baccano" - an anime title, however if i was a person who had no knowledge of the password; would there still another way to get it from the server files?

Thx, Ben
bitz0
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: THE HARD WAY? Basic Mission 1 – “The Idiot Test”

Post by cyberdrain on Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:41 am
([msg=91330]see Re: THE HARD WAY? Basic Mission 1 – “The Idiot Test”[/msg])

bitz0 wrote:Has anyone ever tried solving level 1 the "hard way"?

What I mean to say is, without looking at the password clearly written in the HTML notes for us. Is there another way to "force" the server tor reveal the password or read through the server files for the password. As if trying to hack a real website. I've been trying to figure out if there is a way to do this, and have also been scouring google, youtube, and other forums for advice but have never found anything.

perhaps is there a way to download the php code for mission 1 from HTS? I'm still stuck on how to do things like this. Another site that would be a good test is http://dollars-bbs.org/ the password is "baccano" - an anime title, however if i was a person who had no knowledge of the password; would there still another way to get it from the server files?

Thx, Ben

Welcome. If you manage to actually hack this site (the last realistic challenge), you get a special notice in the hall of fame. The challenges are there for teaching, so they each show a different way of exploiting code. Once you're in, you can gain access to the files on the server and read them like you would read anything else. I'd assume this would work for basic 1 as well. So yeah, it's possible, but I haven't heard anyone ever read the basic 1 source code to complete the mission.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Re: Basic Mission 1 – “The Idiot Test”

Post by sm0k3yh4sh on Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:27 am
([msg=91430]see Re: Basic Mission 1 – “The Idiot Test”[/msg])

Mission Accomplished.
sm0k3yh4sh
New User
New User

Post by tigeon on Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:20 am
([msg=91543]see Re: Basic Mission 1 – “The Idiot Test”[/msg])

Didn't have any problems. just wanted to say that I admire the patience of the people helping here despite the negative stigma surrounding people getting into hacking after seeing a bad movie.
tigeon
New User
New User

Post by bgd1988 on Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:49 am
([msg=92094]see Re: Basic Mission 1 – “The Idiot Test”[/msg])

This was pretty easy to do.
bgd1988
New User
New User

Post by aracely89 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:29 pm
([msg=92124]see Re: Basic Mission 1 – “The Idiot Test”[/msg])

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: WEll I am pretty excited cause I figured it out! lol I found the password maybe 30 mins into it when I typed it the first time It didn't go thru or I might have typed it wrong lol or whatever it was.. I typed it again after reading the whole(not going to tell you where it's at)lol i got it and tried again and it worked .... :o :o :o :o :o :) :) :D :D :D :D :D :D
aracely89
New User
New User

Post by Phurkus on Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:23 am
([msg=92163]see Re: Basic Mission 1 – “The Idiot Test”[/msg])

good job guys. it took me like 2 hours to figure it out, lol
Phurkus
New User
New User

Post by Geomaster39 on Mon May 02, 2016 2:25 pm
([msg=92252]see Re: Basic Mission 1 – “The Idiot Test”[/msg])

I was stuck on this for about 20 minutes. I got frustrated and walked away. I came back about 30 minutes later with a beer and solved it. The moral is...beer is the answer!!
Geomaster39
New User
New User

Post by epic23 on Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:56 pm
([msg=92496]see Re: Basic Mission 1 – “The Idiot Test”[/msg])

I need help. Don't understand a thing
epic23
New User
New User

Post by Silamoth on Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:37 pm
([msg=92527]see Re: Basic Mission 1 – “The Idiot Test”[/msg])

epic23 wrote:I need help. Don't understand a thing

The first basic step in attempting to hack a website is to look at how it works. Do you know how to do this? If not, that would be the first step in completing this challenge.
Silamoth
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Basic