Video Game Cheating, Is It Hacking?

Got something to share about your favorite games? Strategies? Game codes? Discuss gaming topics here!

Video Game Cheating, Is It Hacking?

Post by F6Tech on Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:59 am
([msg=84746]see Video Game Cheating, Is It Hacking?[/msg])

I enjoy making modifications to some online, FPS (first person shooter) video games, but it's never been quite clear to me, is cheating and hacking the same thing? 'Hacking' a video game is like hacking a website, you can change the appearance (in a video game, say, a map) for all to see, change the functions for personal gain, etc...

What are your opinions?
F6Tech
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Video Game Cheating, Is It Hacking?

Post by parakkafaith on Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:47 am
([msg=84748]see Re: Video Game Cheating, Is It Hacking?[/msg])

F6Tech wrote:I enjoy making modifications to some online, FPS (first person shooter) video games, but it's never been quite clear to me, is cheating and hacking the same thing? 'Hacking' a video game is like hacking a website, you can change the appearance (in a video game, say, a map) for all to see, change the functions for personal gain, etc...

What are your opinions?

Cheating and hacking are not the same thing.

That being said, you can cheat in your video games by hacking them. To help make this clear to you, just try to realize that while you can hack to cheat, not all cheating is hacking. Confusion like this seems to stem from what you consider hacking, and a lot of people have different ideas of what it means to hack. It's a topic I'm pretty tired of, to be honest.

It all kinda boils down to modifying something to function alternatively. Websites, games, computers, furniture, phones, trees... Whatever hacking means to you is probably close enough to what it means to the rest of us that you'll most likely be right if you just use your better judgement and say it whenever you want to about whatever feels right. That word doesn't need so much weight attached to it.
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
- Probably not Arthur C. Clarke
parakkafaith
Poster
Poster

Post by WallShadow on Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:06 am
([msg=84753]see Re: Video Game Cheating, Is It Hacking?[/msg])

Cheating in videogames is the unethical method of getting an unfair advantage over something or someone. Usually. Cheats can be built into a game, or mistakenly left in it, or it can be hacked in.

Hacking in videogames, on the other hand, is basically normal hacking, just in a different environment and with different goals and limitations. It is perfectly ethical (imo at least) until you start harming people with it or cheating. That's where the ethicality of it starts to get blury.

Just my opinion.
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by -Ninjex- on Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:30 am
([msg=84754]see Re: Video Game Cheating, Is It Hacking?[/msg])

So you mean it was unethical when I loaded users with negative cash, or got them banned for having an absurdly large amount of cash, with a follow up report to the administrator :?
For those that know
K: 0x2CD8D4F9
-Ninjex-

Post by WallShadow on Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:10 am
([msg=84756]see Re: Video Game Cheating, Is It Hacking?[/msg])

-Ninjex- wrote:So you mean it was unethical when I loaded users with negative cash, or got them banned for having an absurdly large amount of cash, with a follow up report to the administrator :?

Yes, unethical. But that doesn't mean i give a damn about it, it's still hilarious.
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cyberdrain on Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:10 am
([msg=84757]see Re: Video Game Cheating, Is It Hacking?[/msg])

If hacking is defined as pushing the limits of whatever you're using or getting it to do something that wasn't designed this way then I'd say by definition cheats left in by the developer cannot be called hacking, as it was designed that way. Trainers or other tools that do binary analysis of the program and making it do something that wasn't intended by the developers can be seen as hacking. You could go even further by creating a program that hacks the connection between the multiplayer servers and the game itself. It might not be hacking in the way it's usually used, e.g. web applications, it is very close to hacking binaries, binary exploitation and reverse-engineering.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by tremor77 on Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:33 pm
([msg=84800]see Re: Video Game Cheating, Is It Hacking?[/msg])

I play on a very gray line at times.. for FPS since I'm only a PC gamer I have 9 button mouse and my keyboard which of course is macro'd to hell and back. for what I lack in hand I coordination I make up for in my ability to script and bind. I do the same often for any game that provides a method for binding and scripting.

My question is, well written macros tied to mouse buttons or keys, is not hacking... also it is not cheating, since the game designers allow for it.. is it ethical?

Also.. I love to use Sikuli to play games for me.. that's a challenge in it's own.. what level of AI/Botting would you consider cheating/hacking? Since it.. is also neither.
tremor77
Addict
Addict

Post by cyberdrain on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:16 pm
([msg=84820]see Re: Video Game Cheating, Is It Hacking?[/msg])

tremor77 wrote:My question is, well written macros tied to mouse buttons or keys, is not hacking... also it is not cheating, since the game designers allow for it.. is it ethical?

Also.. I love to use Sikuli to play games for me.. that's a challenge in it's own.. what level of AI/Botting would you consider cheating/hacking? Since it.. is also neither.

In my opinion any time you're using a bot to play a game, you're doing it wrong. A game is supposed to be fun to play, not be a second job. That said, some people take satisfaction from cheating or finding ways around restrictions, possibly at the cost of those playing without. I would call anything that gives a person an unfair advantage cheating, hence your example would be too. When you create a bot that will make playing a game easier and more fun without putting others at a disadvantage, I'd not call that cheating. It's a matter of how and where it's used, but that is just my opinion. Whether it's ethical is up for debate too.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by cmh97 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:06 pm
([msg=85096]see Re: Video Game Cheating, Is It Hacking?[/msg])

cyberdrain wrote:
tremor77 wrote:My question is, well written macros tied to mouse buttons or keys, is not hacking... also it is not cheating, since the game designers allow for it.. is it ethical?

In my opinion any time you're using a bot to play a game, you're doing it wrong. A game is supposed to be fun to play, not be a second job. That said, some people take satisfaction from cheating or finding ways around restrictions, possibly at the cost of those playing without. I would call anything that gives a person an unfair advantage cheating, hence your example would be too. When you create a bot that will make playing a game easier and more fun without putting others at a disadvantage, I'd not call that cheating. It's a matter of how and where it's used, but that is just my opinion. Whether it's ethical is up for debate too.

I wouldn't say it's missing the point, just viewing it a different way. The point of a game is to provide entertainment, and if you are entertained by pushing your skills and knowledge in AI/Botting against the game then I would consider that using the game for entertainment. When it comes down to it, even multiplayer games are mostly used for entertainment. I think if you're creating a bot to play against other people it wouldn't be unethical if that bot didn't diminish the entertainment for the other players. I'd rather play against a bot that plays on my level than a smurf that destroys me. No one likes to get matched with a "bronze" player who's really a plat in disguise. Now THAT is what's messed up.
cmh97
New User
New User

Post by parakkafaith on Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:31 pm
([msg=85097]see Re: Video Game Cheating, Is It Hacking?[/msg])

cmh97 wrote:
cyberdrain wrote:

I wouldn't say it's missing the point, just viewing it a different way. The point of a game is to provide entertainment, and if you are entertained by pushing your skills and knowledge in AI/Botting against the game then I would consider that using the game for entertainment. When it comes down to it, even multiplayer games are mostly used for entertainment. I think if you're creating a bot to play against other people it wouldn't be unethical if that bot didn't diminish the entertainment for the other players. I'd rather play against a bot that plays on my level than a smurf that destroys me. No one likes to get matched with a "bronze" player who's really a plat in disguise. Now THAT is what's messed up.

I think you can view anything you want a different way if you're willing to completely disregard what's implied, but that's a very pedantic thing to do.

Sure, the point of a game is to provide entertainment... by playing the game. When a video game is created, I think there is an implied intention to succeed through entertaining gameplay. Just because video game developers create to entertain does not mean it's ethical to decide for yourself what constitutes entertainment and then move forward from there with cheating/hacking/botting. These things hit hard on the integrity of the game itself, and consequently, the player base. People lose pride in their achievements if others are able to cheat for the same results, and you're going to lose a lot of players if nobody is proud of their level/rank/medal/whatever makes your game valuable to you.

That being said, there are plenty of games that don't rely on arbitrary reward systems to entertain you, and there are plenty of games where pushing your skills as a hacker isn't going to have any impact on other players. If you feel like dicking around with morals and ethics when you play your video games, then factor in how your achievements affect the achievements of others.

Personally, I think cheating is a shitty thing to do if other people are passionate about the time and work they put in to their standings, but I also hold the tinkering curiosity of a hacker in much higher regard than the pride of passionate gamers. I would much rather see people develop their skills and have fun hacking games than playing them, but that's just because I think it's interesting and I'm obviously biased. I just think it's ridiculous to try and justify it by defining what entertainment means to you. I can't be ok with that and simultaneously get irritated at the dick who throws skittles at the screen in the movie theater just because he finds it entertaining. Not without being a total hypocrite at least.
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
- Probably not Arthur C. Clarke
parakkafaith
Poster
Poster

Next

Return to Gaming