Learning C

Learning C

Post by Xen0phanes on Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:31 am
([msg=83574]see Learning C[/msg])

I've just recently started learning C and I was wondering if learning C will also help me learn other languages. I learned python prior to C and have noticed that there are some similarities such as the raw_input()/input() in python and getchar/scanf. So yeah, I'm just curious. (I still am practicing coding in python while learning C)
Xen0phanes
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Learning C

Post by TheTechBrony on Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:43 am
([msg=83576]see Re: Learning C[/msg])

TEACH ME!! I don't know where to start!
Portal is love.
Portal is life.
The cake is a lie.
Goomy has nothing to do with lines 1 & 2.
TheTechBrony
Poster
Poster

Post by tripbeam on Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:50 am
([msg=83577]see Re: Learning C[/msg])

Learning C will help you learn other languages yes. But different languages are well different, although languages all are similar as they have syntax etc. you will learn what functions are and what local variables are. which will help you for programming as you wont have to learn certain things over, there's more but i'm K.I.S as you'll learn and others i'm sure will comment.
tripbeam
Poster
Poster

Post by TheTechBrony on Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:17 am
([msg=83578]see Re: Learning C[/msg])

K. I do know that there are a lot syntax similarities between languages. What source are you using to learn?
Portal is love.
Portal is life.
The cake is a lie.
TheTechBrony
Poster
Poster

Post by Xen0phanes on Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:52 pm
([msg=83580]see Re: Learning C[/msg])

TheTechBrony wrote:K. I do know that there are a lot syntax similarities between languages. What source are you using to learn?

For python I used, Learn Code the Hard Way, though I'm not yet through with the last few exercises since they are particularly difficult, Currently I'm just practicing what I've learned and reading supplementary material such as the python documentation and Learning Python (5th ed).

For C, I am using C for Dummies (although there are errors in the book lolz) and and some web sites online.
Xen0phanes
New User
New User

Post by TheTechBrony on Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:36 pm
([msg=83582]see Re: Learning C[/msg])

Cool. I'm just trying to learn as many languages as possible. I've gotten pretty good with HTML and JavaScript, and I'm working on SQL, Java, C, and Python. I think we have C for Dummies. Thanks!
Portal is love.
Portal is life.
The cake is a lie.
TheTechBrony
Poster
Poster

Post by Dagrzinthesmile on Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:00 pm
([msg=83584]see Re: Learning C[/msg])

Another good book to check out for c is "The C Programming Language 2nd edition". This is the second edition of the first manual that was written by the creators of c. This edition is still pretty old, but its still used for beginners in c. Also if you would like to learn other compiler languages, i believe learning c is a good start, because once you know c, you'll be able to move on to c++ which is similar to c, then you can learn java, and once you know c and java you can move on to C# which is pretty much a mixture of the two. Also if you want to practice alittle in programming languages like python, ruby, html, javascript, php and jquery, a good site would be codecademy. That site is actually what got me into programming, and 9 months later im reading nothing but programming books. :geek:
Dagrzinthesmile
New User
New User

Post by pretentious on Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:28 pm
([msg=83602]see Re: Learning C[/msg])

just chucking in an additional answer to the original question, because this was the realization I had when i finally considered myself a competent programmer.
C will get you a solid foundation in programming because with the possible exception of interpreted/sandboxed languages, all executables look the same under the hood. You have series of bytes with addresses, which are manipulated to perform actions you want. Everything is altimatly expressed in bytes, using basic maths for programming logic.
Once you get how C works, especially pointers and shit, nothing can really supprise you because it's all coming from that foundation (Java vm is written in C++, I don't have a source but basically everything is based on C, I've got the impression that python uses C libraries, but I might be way off)
Python reads stuff as a string I think with raw_input, so there is abstraction there but yeah, you have roughly the same stuff going on.
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

Post by boriz666 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:22 pm
([msg=89448]see Re: Learning C[/msg])

Indeed,
if you learn C you won't be suprised by much and yeah php and perl and python is heavily
dependant on C or C++ hooks. I consider the "scripting" languages like glue logic to modules
thats programmed in c++/c to begin with.

Not that I don't enjoy scripting languages, perl is my favorite cause its very fast (for me),
to program anything in.

Learn C, you won't regret it!

Use books, tutorials, google, everythiung!
But the most important is GET TO IT FFS!!

Don't sit on your ass cause you might not get that book, start out now, by a google search
for "C tutorial"
boriz666
Experienced User
Experienced User

Return to C and C++