a studying subforum?

Got an idea on how things should be done? A problem with something on the site? Voice your opinion!

a studying subforum?

Post by ghostheadx2 on Wed May 11, 2016 1:31 am
([msg=92299]see a studying subforum?[/msg])

So, as of right now if someone asks for help doing exercises in the back of their programming textbook or needs help with a linux study guide, that's not available to them. I bring this up because I'm studying for a computer science final and I'm supposed to take study questions from the back of each chapter and do the exercises. Here's the thing. I'm not saying we should give away the answers because that's obviously cheating. Here's what I am saying:

So right now if someone wants to show their networking study guide for the final exam or any test that's coming up, or just a study guide for a computer class in general, then if they post that here it gets marked as spam. But I think helping someone with their programming, networking, etc. class usually helps them learn about computers. We also encourage going to school here don't we? I mean, I remember when I had a prior thread about that old insecurity around a year ago about my age or whatever being too old and you all said to go to school. So obviously, we all encourage someone to go to school.

So here's how it would work. Someone would make a study guide or post the questions in the textbook or whatever, then they'd research or try to figure out the answer. If they can't understand a concept or they can't arrive at the right answer, or even if they can't confirm their answer was correct, then they could post it in the study help sub forum.

I say this because right now we treat such behavior as spam. I think we should have a separate subforum for school assignments, and we'll just have a rule that no one is allowed to give you the answer or anything you could plagiarize. They could only give examples and explanations, and pointers in the right direction if the person has the wrong idea or is only slightly off. This way, the person isn't cheating, but maybe their tutor isn't available, then they can post in a separate subforum to make sure they are getting certain terms correct, etc. The person would still be required to show they've either done research or spent real time figuring out the concept, or both.

I am saying this because I've run into this before with myself and I think if one posts these things in a normal forum, it isn't really too appropriate for the subforums we already have.

This section could also help with other subjects outside of computing as maybe a subsubforum (or maybe I'm pushing for it a little too much). I'm not trying to be self-centered, but I feel if one person has a problem, then there's a small chance multiple people will too or that someone else will have a similar view point. Anyone agree?

UPDATE!!! This is a terrible idea. Forget the concept. I should never have suggested this in the first place. I care more about learning than test scores. I suggested this because I wanted to help people learn concepts like understanding definitions and processes. This was a terrible thread from the start. It probably should be locked and possibly removed is what I realize right now.
Last edited by ghostheadx2 on Wed May 11, 2016 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: A studying subforum?

Post by tgoe on Wed May 11, 2016 2:33 am
([msg=92300]see Re: A studying subforum?[/msg])

• Not your personal army.
  • Do your own homework.
  • etc.

"Someone" will make a study guide? "Someone" will post questions from a textbook? It seems to me that you value test scores over actually learning.

I say this because right now we treat such behavior as spam.

Off the top of my head, we've tried to work with you at least a couple times but you'd just abandon thread once you think you have the answer:
https://www.hackthissite.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=12201
https://www.hackthissite.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=12137
:|
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor

Re: A studying subforum?

Post by ghostheadx2 on Wed May 11, 2016 5:15 pm
([msg=92302]see Re: A studying subforum?[/msg])

That's not true I care more about learning. I meant a subforum for understanding concepts. Alright, I know I've done stuff wrong in the past, but I didn't think anyone would bring it up. Ok, I shouldn't have started this thread in the first place. I actually would rather gain skills and learn then get test scores any day, but I realize this is not an appropriate thread. I should have thought about what I was typing before I type it and the impression it would give. If I've lost all respect in this forum and I'm to be banned, I understand. I should not be wasting people's time. I will not post anything like this again.
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Re: a studying subforum?

Post by Jbraithwaite on Thu May 12, 2016 3:07 pm
([msg=92309]see Re: a studying subforum?[/msg])

Launching into the world of hacking/security/testing or whatever it's called these days, can leave you feeling really lost. I mean really lost. No one helps you. Everyone always says "Google it", "Find out for yourself". It can be tough. It's as much a measure of your fight against self doubt than the struggle with bytes.

Starting from the beginning without actually working in IT, Development or Networking can put you on the back foot. Meaning that it's like dragging a dead body up a mountain and no one has told you where the top is. The dead body is your self doubt.

This is why I advised you to pick at things and find the relationships between them. Once you build up a foundation knowledge you can build on it. Here's a few things I'd suggest you get into.

Web App hacking
Mutillidae - Often seen as a beginner web app. It's not. It has different security levels to it.
DVWA - Similar to the above. Does XSS, SQLi, CSRF.
WebGoat - Does training exercises then tests you on them.

Great Web App training platforms, and something you shouldn't overlook because they can test your mind and keep you busy.

Server OS
Windows Server 2008 R2- Free 30 day trial. Can install it on VirtualBox and play with making it less secure by adding Telnet as a feature.
Metasploitable 2 - A deliberately vulnerable UNIX server. Large amount of servers are Unix based. Worth a punt.

Attacking a server on a VM will get you used to using Nmap to port scan. You'll then find out how to emumerate shares, and users using RPCclient. Also you'll learn how to mount shares, add users over Telnet and basically root the box. Responder.py is good to use on Windows Server environments.

Conclusion

There's a million things over and above the things I've mentioned here. There's no shortage of test you can perform within the scope above too. It's all about you port scanning, finding results and finding out what is vulnerable but looking up the CVE's (vulnerability databases)

Just be prepared to open your mind. For instance, adding Telnet to Windows Server teaches you about adding Telnet, it's users, and how much access those uses have over commands they can run. You will need Privilege Escalation to perform some tasks, then you realise that means "Run as Administrator" It then feeds you into loads of other things.

Anyway. I can understand your frustrations, and how lost you might be. It's all about how much you want it, however, you should also learn OSINT (Open Source Intelligence) as a means of Information Gathering. It will help you so much.

Peace.
In training....
Jbraithwaite
Poster
Poster

Post by ghostheadx2 on Thu May 12, 2016 9:02 pm
([msg=92316]see Re: a studying subforum?[/msg])

Jbraithwaite wrote:Launching into the world of hacking/security/testing or whatever it's called these days, can leave you feeling really lost. I mean really lost. No one helps you. Everyone always says "Google it", "Find out for yourself". It can be tough. It's as much a measure of your fight against self doubt than the struggle with bytes.

Starting from the beginning without actually working in IT, Development or Networking can put you on the back foot. Meaning that it's like dragging a dead body up a mountain and no one has told you where the top is. The dead body is your self doubt.

This is why I advised you to pick at things and find the relationships between them. Once you build up a foundation knowledge you can build on it. Here's a few things I'd suggest you get into.

Web App hacking
Mutillidae - Often seen as a beginner web app. It's not. It has different security levels to it.
DVWA - Similar to the above. Does XSS, SQLi, CSRF.
WebGoat - Does training exercises then tests you on them.

Great Web App training platforms, and something you shouldn't overlook because they can test your mind and keep you busy.

Server OS
Windows Server 2008 R2- Free 30 day trial. Can install it on VirtualBox and play with making it less secure by adding Telnet as a feature.
Metasploitable 2 - A deliberately vulnerable UNIX server. Large amount of servers are Unix based. Worth a punt.

Attacking a server on a VM will get you used to using Nmap to port scan. You'll then find out how to emumerate shares, and users using RPCclient. Also you'll learn how to mount shares, add users over Telnet and basically root the box. Responder.py is good to use on Windows Server environments.

Conclusion

There's a million things over and above the things I've mentioned here. There's no shortage of test you can perform within the scope above too. It's all about you port scanning, finding results and finding out what is vulnerable but looking up the CVE's (vulnerability databases)

Just be prepared to open your mind. For instance, adding Telnet to Windows Server teaches you about adding Telnet, it's users, and how much access those uses have over commands they can run. You will need Privilege Escalation to perform some tasks, then you realise that means "Run as Administrator" It then feeds you into loads of other things.

Anyway. I can understand your frustrations, and how lost you might be. It's all about how much you want it, however, you should also learn OSINT (Open Source Intelligence) as a means of Information Gathering. It will help you so much.

Peace.

I understand your point, which is that people just google this stuff and figure it out and I'm suggesting something that might contradict that.

I'm in finals, so I haven't had a lot of time for this stuff the past couple of weeks.

As for all of that other stuff you brought up I have Metasploitable 2 installed and I will absolutely use it for practice soon. I did download and install it after all, just that I did that right before finals, so its been hard. I've been thinking of web goat for a while but I've always thought it was more advanced than the difficulty level of Hack This Site and that I'd probably be able to do it when I complete the website we're on right now.

I also thought I'd learn some more networking and linux before I delve into something like Web Goat, especially since I have Hack This Site right now and I want to get some basic prerequisite knowledge. Are you saying I could do Web Goat sooner? The reason I ask is because I've always thought that was more advanced and that I should master basics of networking before I go to Web Goat. Are you saying I'm ok to start using web goat now and that its not that advanced?
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jbraithwaite on Fri May 13, 2016 1:35 am
([msg=92317]see Re: a studying subforum?[/msg])

In the order of difficulty I'd say DVWA (easier), Mutillidae (can be easy or hard) then WebGoat (pretty hard). Actually some of the Realistic Missions on here are harder than what you'll see in those programs. The above training aids will teach you why they are vulnerable. You come to a place like HTS after you've done the above. I done it the wrong way about too.

If you have exams going on, you really need to not be trying to learn this stuff too. It needs your utter undivided attention or you're wasting your time. I'm sorry to say this, but there isn't a magic pill or a point where it all makes sense. Just through pushing yourself to drill the theory in does it then makes sense in the practical application. Everyone has their point where it gets too much.
In training....
Jbraithwaite
Poster
Poster

Return to Comments & Suggestions