IRC is not opening in my browser in Kali

For IRC Issues

IRC is not opening in my browser in Kali

Post by winknow on Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:21 pm
([msg=83168]see IRC is not opening in my browser in Kali[/msg])

Hello Everyone,

Please try to resolve my issue. I'm running Kali and i couldnt enter into IRC with ICEWEASAL browser. I know Java is the issue.

Error : "Application blocked by Java Security". Using Java 1.8.0_20 version. Please help in resolving the issue.

A very big thanks in advance. :)
winknow
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: IRC is not opening in my browser in Kali

Post by cyberdrain on Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:33 pm
([msg=83169]see Re: IRC is not opening in my browser in Kali[/msg])

I would just install XChat (or similar) and use that. If you're using it as a live USB, you'd have to change the settings every time, so it doesn't matter either way in that case. In regards to your question, I've never used that part of the site, so I can't be of much help there.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by tripbeam on Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:36 pm
([msg=83170]see Re: IRC is not opening in my browser in Kali[/msg])

Can't you make a persistent USB?
tripbeam
Poster
Poster

Post by winknow on Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:37 pm
([msg=83171]see Re: IRC is not opening in my browser in Kali[/msg])

cyberdrain wrote:I would just install XChat (or similar) and use that. If you're using it as a live USB, you'd have to change the settings every time, so it doesn't matter either way in that case. In regards to your question, I've never used that part of the site, so I can't be of much help there.

HI,
thanks for the response but im using the Kali in VM's. Is there any application like Xchat in Linux for this forum? Why we really need to use other apps when this forum got a thing like "IRC" ?
winknow
New User
New User

Post by cyberdrain on Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:18 pm
([msg=83178]see Re: IRC is not opening in my browser in Kali[/msg])

winknow wrote:HI,
thanks for the response but im using the Kali in VM's. Is there any application like Xchat in Linux for this forum?

Wait, what? XChat is an application for connecting to IRC and it is available for Linux. On Windows you could use mIRC or similar. You just "sudo apt-get install xchat" and it should be available. You'd still need to configure it, but I don't think that would be a problem. There's a guide for it in the Articles section of the main site. And seeing as you're not using a live USB, but a VM, there's no need to reinstall/redo the configuration every time. :)

winknow wrote:Why we really need to use other apps when this forum got a thing like "IRC" ?

A web application for Internet Relay Chat is available not on the forum, but on the main site. You don't really have to use something else, but as I've never used that part of the site, I can't help you in fixing your issue. Even though I think it would be as simple as updating/downloading the newest version of Java and configuring it correctly (maybe Iceweasel is to blame), I can't be certain of that.
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by -Ninjex- on Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:40 pm
([msg=83180]see Re: IRC is not opening in my browser in Kali[/msg])

You shouldn't use the web based client anyways.
It offers less freedom, it's slower, and overall it is justl worse.

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get weechat-curses
weechat

/connect irc.hackthissite.org/6697 -ssl
For those that know
K: 0x2CD8D4F9
-Ninjex-

Post by cyberdrain on Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:45 pm
([msg=83182]see Re: IRC is not opening in my browser in Kali[/msg])

-Ninjex- wrote:

Should be:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get install weechat-curses

weechat is a great command line application and XChat has a GUI, it depends on what you want. The IRC application you're using doesn't really matter, as long as it works for you. That said, I agree with Ninjex that you really shouldn't use the web versions unless you have no other choice.
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by -Ninjex- on Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:39 am
([msg=83197]see Re: IRC is not opening in my browser in Kali[/msg])

cyberdrain wrote:Should be:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get install weechat-curses

weechat is a great command line application and XChat has a GUI, it depends on what you want. The IRC application you're using doesn't really matter, as long as it works for you. That said, I agree with Ninjex that you really shouldn't use the web versions unless you have no other choice.

Thanks, I honestly haven't installed any packages in a good amount of time in linux. I forgot to tag the install in there :p

Now, the reasons I posted the CLI client over the GUI client is sort of more versatile (and better imo) in an easily accessible way.
For instance, if you have some VPN or Dedicated server, you can tunnel in and use the CLI client, you wouldn't be able to do this easily with a GUI client. (The reason I say easily and not impossible, is because you could technically configure some settings to have XChat work through the VPN/Dedicated, but it's a more complex and tedious process) Another great feature, is that you can store the IRC session in an emulator like tmux and use that as your bouncer. Also, I find that the CLI clients are a hell of a lot more versatile than GUI clients.
For those that know
-Ninjex-

Post by winknow on Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:00 am
([msg=83226]see Re: IRC is not opening in my browser in Kali[/msg])

-Ninjex- wrote:You shouldn't use the web based client anyways.

weechat

I heard that using IRC is more risky as it has some threats. Is that so? Can i safely use weechat? Xchat gave me a warning not to use it as root user. Coz using irc in root will help ppl to exploit my machine, am i right? Please help me in installing any client without root in that client but still having root access in terminal, if not, tell how to use securely such clients.

Thanks.
winknow
New User
New User

Post by -Ninjex- on Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:36 am
([msg=83227]see Re: IRC is not opening in my browser in Kali[/msg])

winknow wrote:
-Ninjex- wrote:You shouldn't use the web based client anyways.

weechat

I heard that using IRC is more risky as it has some threats. Is that so? Can i safely use weechat? Xchat gave me a warning not to use it as root user. Coz using irc in root will help ppl to exploit my machine, am i right? Please help me in installing any client without root in that client but still having root access in terminal, if not, tell how to use securely such clients.

Thanks.

Well, really you shouldn't be running root if you don't know what you are doing. You wouldn't get an error from weechat about that though. It's bad practice to be root in IRC, yes. IRC is exploitable just like any other service. Now, I recommend you set up a user account though.
To do that
useradd -m username

Next, change to the user
su username

Then set up the password on the user
passwd

After this, you may need to install weechat for that user, and you should be ready to rock and roll.
For those that know
-Ninjex-

Next

Return to IRC