Port scanning using Nmap

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Port scanning using Nmap

Post by bikewrecker on Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:05 pm
([msg=96184]see Port scanning using Nmap[/msg])

Hi, I'm trying to port scan my local internet network using Nmap. It's a class B network, and the trouble I'm having is the last two sets of digits in the ip address vary from device to device. For example, my pc's ip will be something like 168.16.2.18, but my phone's ip connected to the same network will be something like 168.16.12.35. I can scan all ports in the last 255 using "nmap 168.16.2.1/24" but this won't find my phone because the 3rd part of the ip address is different. Is there a command to perform a scan all ip's on the network, or should I just not bother?

Thank you,
bikewrecker
bikewrecker
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Port scanning using Nmap

Post by oasis on Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:59 am
([msg=96187]see Re: Port scanning using Nmap[/msg])

bikewrecker wrote:Hi, I'm trying to port scan my local internet network using Nmap. It's a class B network, and the trouble I'm having is the last two sets of digits in the ip address vary from device to device. For example, my pc's ip will be something like 168.16.2.18, but my phone's ip connected to the same network will be something like 168.16.12.35. I can scan all ports in the last 255 using "nmap 168.16.2.1/24" but this won't find my phone because the 3rd part of the ip address is different. Is there a command to perform a scan all ip's on the network, or should I just not bother?

Thank you,
bikewrecker

try using "nmap -sn 168.16.2.0/24". This may also not work as your phone could be blocking pings but its worth a try.

You can also try "nmap 168.16.0.0/16" to scan the 3rd number also.
oasis
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to NZone