Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.

A little girl made a website to post poetry related to peace and understanding. American fascists have hacked this website replacing it with Hitler-esque propaganda. Can you repair the website?

Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.

Post by cyberdrain on Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:33 pm
([msg=87714]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

BobotheClown555 wrote:I'd like to know why what I'm trying isn't working without giving away any spoilers. Could I pm someone with what I have tried so far?

Go ahead.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by bobmiranda on Fri May 15, 2015 2:51 pm
([msg=88061]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

I am kinda sad. I solved it after gleaning for hints in the forums (again). :(

I had the right idea all along but what threw me off is why would the overwriting NOT work for regular poems, but would for the old site?

Do we have to presume that the original code of the website would set the permissions to read only, after creating a new poem, so it would not be possible to overwrite them?

If yes, then this should have obviously happened to the old index.html, which would you should not be able to overwrite it either?
bobmiranda
New User
New User

Post by cyberdrain on Sun May 17, 2015 8:53 am
([msg=88080]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

bobmiranda wrote:I am kinda sad. I solved it after gleaning for hints in the forums (again). :(

I had the right idea all along but what threw me off is why would the overwriting NOT work for regular poems, but would for the old site?

Do we have to presume that the original code of the website would set the permissions to read only, after creating a new poem, so it would not be possible to overwrite them?

If yes, then this should have obviously happened to the old index.html, which would you should not be able to overwrite it either?

No files were harmed during the completion of the mission. On a real server, you could've overwritten the poems too. At the end of the day there are limits to what can be emulated unfortunately.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Expert
Expert

Post by aaryav on Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:06 am
([msg=88515]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

Lolll so easy...after spending 2 hours on this..really want to hit my head on the wall. :lol:
aaryav
New User
New User

Post by SeptemberSorrow on Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:45 pm
([msg=88904]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

Some advice for anyone struggling with this challenge who thinks they've got all the right ideas and can't figure out why they can't solve it:

Check your syntax very, very carefully. I fully understand what I needed to do and how to do it for several days and couldn't fathom why it wasn't working. I read all 60 pages in this topic searching for anything that indicated what I was doing wrong. Everything seemed to support my idea.

Turns out, I was using one unnecessary character. It was the only thing holding me back.

Bottom line: If you think you have all the right ideas to solve the problem and it's still not working, check over what you're typing--doesn't matter how great your idea is if you're not issuing it correctly.
SeptemberSorrow
New User
New User

Post by fogliak on Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:19 am
([msg=89403]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

DAMN i fell so stupid!!!
2 days on it (not continuative), thinked of the right solution hour and hour ago.
I hope is just missing experience in the field.
And Then two seconds ago the illumation... add a very specific poem with some DT somewhere, but not in the url!!!
I hate you and I love you at the same time! :mrgreen:
fogliak
New User
New User

Re: not sure what I missed

Post by jacalata on Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:19 pm
([msg=90157]see Re: not sure what I missed[/msg])

GoldeneyesII wrote:I solved the mission, and I understand the need for DT. What I don't get is how I would have known DT was needed without reading these forums. It's written all over that you need to "know where they are saved" but I was never able to see where that save location was. I basically had to guess the answer. Anyone able to help out and show me what I missed?

PM please.

- GoldeneyesII

I think there are two possibilities
1 - I suspect that the mission has changed somehow - some of the older comments from ~2008 say "the poems are saved as separate files in the same directory as the submission page" whereas this doesn't appear to be true now? If that was true at the beginning, the url for that form would have been an obvious hint. If it got updated at one point, there were already enough hints in the forums for people to continue getting it.

2. If that isn't the case, the only instructions I've seen for figuring out the directory locations is "be creative", so maybe some people are just better at that than I am?
jacalata
New User
New User

Re: not sure what I missed

Post by mr-rayzor on Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:32 am
([msg=90168]see Re: not sure what I missed[/msg])

I finished this one pretty quickly. It was easy and everything was in front of me lol :D
mr-rayzor
New User
New User

Post by lockettpots on Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:23 pm
([msg=90382]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

Wow! I really over-thought this one. Note to self - "KISS" (keep it simple, stupid) :roll:
lockettpots
New User
New User

Post by chadYRA on Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:08 am
([msg=90552]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

I feel really f*cking stupid about how simple this is and how over complicated I was making it.

Even with reading all the replies that give it away, it was still over thinking.

DT is definitely relevant. Knowing how this works is relevant. There IS relevance to Basic 8 and if you can figure out how the ../ works and what to do with it you'll figure it out.

Hint: Using DT in the address bar, you go from page X to page Y. Knowing this, you should be able to figure out that if you're at www.zzz.com/yyy/xxx and you use ../ to go back to www.zzz.com/yyy then use that knowledge to figure out what you need to do to complete this.
chadYRA
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to (Real 3) Peace Poetry: HACKED