When is it O.K. to hack?

What is right? Is there right? Are you right?

Re: When is it O.K. to hack?

Post by ghostheadx2 on Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:06 pm
([msg=92726]see Re: When is it O.K. to hack?[/msg])

I think everything other than just "when you don't get caught" is still at the very least a good point. If you think hacking is ok just because you don't go to jail, you have no sense of ethics. If that's the reason your doing it, its worse, if anything, because you'll do more unjustified damage. I see no justification argument just for not getting caught by itself but if the not getting caught comes along with an ethical reason like the top 1% argument, I can see the justification to some extent.
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by dance on Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:08 am
([msg=92804]see Re: When is it O.K. to hack?[/msg])

There will be an efficient rule – do not harm. Hackers may operate whenever they want. No one can stop them. But they must be careful, do not damage people, either mentally or emotionally. Even if there is a desire to expose racists, terrorists or any other universal evil.
dance
New User
New User

Post by ghostheadx2 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:59 pm
([msg=92808]see Re: When is it O.K. to hack?[/msg])

dance wrote:There will be an efficient rule – do not harm. Hackers may operate whenever they want. No one can stop them. But they must be careful, do not damage people, either mentally or emotionally. Even if there is a desire to expose racists, terrorists or any other universal evil.

Good point, but I don't think that's the same as it being unethical to expose racists, terrorists, or other evils. It just means its dangerous and probably a little bit foolish. I do think a good question would be: Is it possible use hacking to expose evil and a non-foolish way and if so how?
ghostheadx2
Contributor
Contributor

Post by et_eito on Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:33 pm
([msg=92809]see Re: When is it O.K. to hack?[/msg])

Probably something like "contribution to society".

Do you make people's lives more enjoyable by doing it? Do they deserve having more enjoyable lives?

As for exposing terrorists; their goal is to inspire fear in others so that they can convey their point. The other groups (racists, neonists) have similar visions; condemning those they consider not-worthy to lesser lives or worse, death.

Most people probably won't mind if you expose them to do a good thing for the rest of society. You could expose them non-destructively, reporting to authorities who take proper care of them. That way you can consider that the prosecutions that await them are those that they are well-aware of when engaging in the things they engage in.
et_eito
New User
New User

Post by defcore on Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:46 pm
([msg=93743]see Re: When is it O.K. to hack?[/msg])

insomaniacal wrote:Hacking to spread your message is still questionable. If we are to live in an open society, you can't go around destroying everyone's website which posts the opposition's opinion. That's just hypocritical.

However, I think it's always OK, ethically, to take down fraudulent sites that try to steal people's information.

insomaniacal wrote:
Depends on the message you're trying to send? That's making this totally subjective. Meaning that, by your logic, you would be A-Ok with Neo-Nazis painting an elaborate Swastika on the side of your house, because to them, it's a good message to send.

You're essentially saying Vandalism is OK, as long as you agree with the message. If you're doing what you're doing for the greater good, it's a different story. For example, you have taken control of a server that's storing and distributing people's personal information (SSN/Back Account #'s/etc...).

Being militant and one-sided about anything will never solve any problems.

defcore
New User
New User

Previous

Return to Ethics