I bet it has been asked before, and I am sorry

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

I bet it has been asked before, and I am sorry

Post by Tango6 on Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:23 pm
([msg=89719]see I bet it has been asked before, and I am sorry[/msg])

I am going to go to school for cyber security. I am looking for a good laptop for hacking. I found a few thinkpads and I was thinking of picking one up. The ones I have found are the T520, T420. I have around 1k for a laptop. I have been reading and searching google for any and all information on what type of laptop to start with and read to not go brand new like the Y50. I like the old thinkpads because of the fingerprint scanner. So...... What do you guys think. And thank you I look forward to all the advice I can get.

Tango
Tango6
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: I bet it has been asked before, and I am sorry

Post by pretentious on Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:45 pm
([msg=89721]see Re: I bet it has been asked before, and I am sorry[/msg])

Something that has come up a few times here is wifi cards. Some don't go into promiscuous mode or allow packet injection etc. Some people also mention GPU's for hash cracking. for a laptop, I don't know if that's a priority. Those can be some things to consider. Beyond that, I'm so far out of the tech loop it's not funny :)
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

Post by Tango6 on Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:40 am
([msg=89731]see Re: I bet it has been asked before, and I am sorry[/msg])

Thanks I built my desktop for a general purpose/ gaming pc once I saw Tom clancys The Division. I have always been interested in information assurance and my job is the only think that has stopped me from doing it. I dont know mych about laptops but I saw the T430 can be upgraded to 16gb of ram and 1tb for a hard drive.
Tango6
New User
New User

Post by tremor77 on Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:56 pm
([msg=89733]see Re: I bet it has been asked before, and I am sorry[/msg])

You might want something with an VTx processor (virtualization compatible) and wipe windows, then install Xen. Run all your OS from windows to kali or whatever you like as a VM on a baremetal hypervisor.. just to get an idea of what a paranoid hacker might do, such as running VM's without persistance.. install all your hack tools, set the VM to non-persistant and nothing saves. For this you might want something where you can amp the RAM up to 32gb eventually.
tremor77
Addict
Addict

Return to Hardware